Computers & Electronics

[Merged] Various Korean Branded 27" 2560x1440 S-IPS LCDs $280-450 US Shipped (Ebay)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2013 1:00 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2007
1962 posts
307 upvotes
For those that have contacted Achieva directly, any progress?
Feb 3, 2010
174 posts
140 upvotes
I'm in for one

PLEASE SIGN ME UP!!
PM! me groupbuy leader!

Thanks

perfers, the Crossover version with the awesome stand tho.

want the 30 inch as well for $650, if anyone is organizing that.
May 28, 2006
89 posts
2 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
I emailed Achieva, unfortunately, the monitor itself does not have CE/UL/CSA/FCC certifications at this moment. They applied FCC/CE certifications, but they did not apply CSA/UL.

The power brick has.

Just want to bring this up, as if we do a group buy, we are importing 100 PCS of this monitor, custom assumes that these are for resale. It is illegal to sale products without CSA/cUL certification I guess. Also I believe FCC is a must.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2005
3958 posts
105 upvotes
brisk wrote:
Mar 16th, 2012 7:48 am
I emailed Achieva, unfortunately, the monitor itself does not have CE/UL/CSA/FCC certifications at this moment. They applied FCC/CE certifications, but they did not apply CSA/UL.

The power brick has.

Just want to bring this up, as if we do a group buy, we are importing 100 PCS of this monitor, custom assumes that these are for resale. It is illegal to sale products without CSA/cUL certification I guess. Also I believe FCC is a must.

100% correct.
May 28, 2006
89 posts
2 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
nsd wrote:
Mar 16th, 2012 8:09 am
100% correct.

Got a reply from Crossover, same, AC adapter is, but monitor does not.

I guess group buy is a no go.

BTW, I didn't read the group buy thread in US on hardforum, what happened there?
May 16, 2011
155 posts
70 upvotes
MARKHAM
Group buy on these things is, IMO, insane for anything over 5 monitors or so (a few more if local only). You're dealing with $30 000+ dollars with 100 monitors. Each monitor is ~10 kg, so you're dealing with a metric tonne of monitors. The sheer size of the shipment is overwhelming too; Let's say you can fit 4 monitors into one cubic metre (generous; some of the pictures of the monitor packaging indicates you might get 2/cubic metre... if you're lucky) We're talking 25 cubic metres; or a volume 3.5m x 3.5m x 2m in dimension. The logistics of this for any one person to do it is nightmarish. Shipping those monitors out would give me nightmares; it's days worth of work here. And that's if there is only one version of the monitor ordered. Multiple versions of the monitor? Shoot me now. If you're gonna pay someone to do it for you... you might as well pay the seller directly to do it, without the hassles of a group buy.

OverClock.net had enough trouble when they were dealing with Gentle Typhoon 2150rpms (another $20 000 group buy) that they stopped group buys on this one (and all others) in their tracks.

I think you're far better off, if you want to get one of these, to just buy it yourself. Sure, you may pay a few extra dollars ($50? Probably less.) but you save time, hassle, and the sheer complexity and frustration with dealing with a group buy of this size. Saving money at any cost might end up costing you more money in the long run. And it is almost 100% certain that a shipment of that size will get dinged with HST/GST/PST. If you only order one, it is possible it will get through customs without any HST/GST/PST (13% ~= $50)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
3312 posts
1953 upvotes
North Vancouver
Updated the front page with the certification info and cleaned up a bit.
brisk wrote:
Mar 16th, 2012 8:36 am
BTW, I didn't read the group buy thread in US on hardforum, what happened there?

It died by the 5th page effectively, and everyone there purchased from Ebay. The RFD thread from what I saw was the only active Group Buy thread left.

I'm still probably going to buy a Crossover from Ebay. I'm just waiting for a couple pending reviews on overclock.net.
Jun 19, 2009
863 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
That's why I was hoping that a smaller local retailer could step in :/
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2003
7207 posts
854 upvotes
Burnaby
morpheus_1987 wrote:
Mar 16th, 2012 12:40 pm
That's why I was hoping that a smaller local retailer could step in :/

Then it still can't be imported since it'll be for resale. Not to mention they will want a cut too.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5833 posts
235 upvotes
FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUU

I need more desk space. At the moment, I can barely fit 2x 22" Portraits + a 27". :cry:
signature edited for rule violations
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
2012 posts
393 upvotes
Belle River
Ok so back to previous plan, someone ask the eBay sellers for a volume price. They still have to handle each shipment but like others said, it's a large quick sale and will avoid some fees for them.
Jun 19, 2009
863 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
crimsona wrote:
Mar 16th, 2012 1:11 pm
Then it still can't be imported since it'll be for resale. Not to mention they will want a cut too.

I meant they could organize the group buy not import for resale - technically different lol. It's just that people would have an easier time trusting a business than a forum stranger with $25K. I was thinking with such a large group buy, they could find a reasonable cut from some of the cost savings and the individuals would still be saving some compared to buying on their own. Wishful thinking, but still keeping fingers crossed.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2005
1022 posts
66 upvotes
North York
Received my Catleap - perfect condition and no dead pixels from what I can see!
Feb 3, 2010
174 posts
140 upvotes
darkz wrote:
Mar 16th, 2012 7:57 pm

jelly.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2005
3461 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
darkz wrote:
Mar 16th, 2012 7:57 pm

Nice how much was it all together.