Travel

[Merged] Vegas Deals

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2023 9:20 am
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
$20 trick worked at Planet Hollywood. Booked the cheapest room, got moved into a strip view suite.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12399 posts
4935 upvotes
Toronto
WorldIRC wrote: $20 trick worked at Planet Hollywood. Booked the cheapest room, got moved into a strip view suite.
What would be the diff if you booked for the strip view room?

I also use the $20 trick the Volcano view room at Mirage, I went back and check, the difference was just under $10 per night , lol
Last edited by MP3_SKY on Jun 1st, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12399 posts
4935 upvotes
Toronto
JRGUINNESS wrote: Just got back....

Wow, Vegas has changed in the short 2 years I have been gone.

They nickle and dime you for everything now. Everyone now expects a tip for nothing.

Sad to say, but I think I'm done with Vegas.

Thanks to all for the cheap tricks and tips. That crown and ancor deal saved me big!!!
Have you visited other places too?
My tipping experience in LV is acceptable,
Other trips I went to Miami, to Honolulu, The tour guide, drivers, luggage handler all expect a tip.
It is not a LV thing , is kinda expect for a tourist place.
Their wages are so low and depending the tipping bonus to make a "better" living.
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
MP3_SKY wrote: What would be the diff if you booked for the strip view room?

I also use the $20 trick the Volcano view room at Mirage, I went back and check, the difference was just under $10 per night , lol
I think $30 per night.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Fanatic
Feb 27, 2015
6972 posts
4953 upvotes
Toronto, ON
MP3_SKY wrote: Have you visited other places too?
My tipping experience in LV is acceptable,
Other trips I went to Miami, to Honolulu, The tour guide, drivers, luggage handler all expect a tip.
It is not a LV thing , is kinda expect for a tourist place.
Their wages are so low and depending the tipping bonus to make a "better" living.
Totally get that! And I work in the hospitality Feild. But there was a restaurant that we went to, where I ordered at the counter, picked up our food from the counter, filled my drink and then someone expected 15% for taking away 2 plates?!?!

Our Uber driver told us a 10 minute story about how he doesn't get tips and went on and on. Which is a kiss, the tip is built into the ride.

Then the same with out tour bus driver. Which I planned on tipping anyways, but now everyone is pretty much begging and guilting you into it.

Kinda off putting. It's like the Dominican...
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12399 posts
4935 upvotes
Toronto
JRGUINNESS wrote: Totally get that! And I work in the hospitality Feild. But there was a restaurant that we went to, where I ordered at the counter, picked up our food from the counter, filled my drink and then someone expected 15% for taking away 2 plates?!?!

Our Uber driver told us a 10 minute story about how he doesn't get tips and went on and on. Which is a kiss, the tip is built into the ride.

Then the same with out tour bus driver. Which I planned on tipping anyways, but now everyone is pretty much begging and guilting you into it.

I tipped the uber/lyft driver cash and they looks appreciated (not expected). I don't like to tip on the app, not sure if the company still take a % of it. I got coupon code from the rides, so I'm more than happy to give them another dollar. lol
Tour Guide or Tour Bus driver will wait for you at the exit to say good bye (waiting for tip). Good thing in US that they still use One Dollar paper bill, you can round the bills up and makes it look like a stack lol

The worse tipping environment is at the washroom at clubs. A big fat dude is basically waiting for you to get your "job' done and come over to put hand soap on your hands and then paper to wipe your hands. They will stand right next to you, once you tipped the guy will step back real quick. haha
And this is not in LV, it is in Toronto.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1926 posts
252 upvotes
Vancouver
Wow resort fees are killer. Thought I was getting a good deal at Rio for ~$40/night only to find out I also need to pay $34 usd/night to the hotel for 'resort fees'
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12399 posts
4935 upvotes
Toronto
chowder wrote: Wow resort fees are killer. Thought I was getting a good deal at Rio for ~$40/night only to find out I also need to pay $34 usd/night to the hotel for 'resort fees'
Rio is off the strip, although not far and walkable and have shuttle.
For $40, I may stick at Luxor, NYNY or Monte Carlo, they are among the same price range if there are no events around.

For the $34 resort fee, I would feel better to pay at a better hotel than a 3.5 stars. lol
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1581 posts
511 upvotes
JRGUINNESS wrote: Totally get that! And I work in the hospitality Feild. But there was a restaurant that we went to, where I ordered at the counter, picked up our food from the counter, filled my drink and then someone expected 15% for taking away 2 plates?!?!

I noticed this with some of the Uber drivers too, where they somehow snuck in stories about tipping during the conversation. For them, I don't mind tipping an extra buck or two, since you're saving so much compared to taxi's anyways. Uber says tips are built into the ride, but I know a few Uber drivers, and it really isn't. They already get paid next to nothing in Las Vegas, a little tip won't hurt.

Which restaurant expected a $15 tip? I was at 800 degrees and Earl of Sandwich which is similar experience to what you described but nobody demanded a tip.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1926 posts
252 upvotes
Vancouver
MP3_SKY wrote: Rio is off the strip, although not far and walkable and have shuttle.
For $40, I may stick at Luxor, NYNY or Monte Carlo, they are among the same price range if there are no events around.

For the $34 resort fee, I would feel better to pay at a better hotel than a 3.5 stars. lol
I agree Rio is not great, but it's where the world series of poker is so makes it more convenient.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 9, 2005
7390 posts
291 upvotes
Scarborough
Unsolicited, but if you're there for the WSOP, ask for the Ipanema towers, it's a slightly shorter walk to the convention area compared to the Masquerade tower
Oct 31, 2006
628 posts
246 upvotes
GTA
Golden Nugget : The daily Resort Fee is not mandatory for Air Canada Vacations guests. Guests can choose to opt-in to the Resort Fee services by paying the Resort Fee directly to Hotel upon check-in. If a guest chooses not to pay the Resort Fee, he or she will not have access to the Resort Fee services.

Anybody has any experience with this ?
Public Mobile user
Aug 9, 2012
92 posts
43 upvotes
OTTAWA
I'm trying to book a hotel on the strip for a bachelor party, 3 nights in August. We booked our flights already because some of our group couldn't commit yet and we found a great flight. We are a group of between 4 and 6 people

Any tips on getting the best price on the strip? We want a hotel with a really good pool, so Aria, Caesars, bellagio, Wynn, etc....

Also, if we were to book just a regular deluxe room, how easy is it to get a cheap/free upgrade to a suite when you check-in?

Thanks!
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12399 posts
4935 upvotes
Toronto
crags13 wrote:
Any tips on getting the best price on the strip? We want a hotel with a really good pool, so Aria, Caesars, bellagio, Wynn, etc....

Also, if we were to book just a regular deluxe room, how easy is it to get a cheap/free upgrade to a suite when you check-in?

Thanks!
Depending on the front desk person( I was told the younger the person is the better chance the trick works, lol) and also how busy is the hotel during the days you staying.
Almost no guarantee.
I scored in Mirage and failed in Aria.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12399 posts
4935 upvotes
Toronto
MooH wrote: Golden Nugget : The daily Resort Fee is not mandatory for Air Canada Vacations guests. Guests can choose to opt-in to the Resort Fee services by paying the Resort Fee directly to Hotel upon check-in. If a guest chooses not to pay the Resort Fee, he or she will not have access to the Resort Fee services.

Anybody has any experience with this ?
is that the one in Fremot?
if off strip, I believe there are still a lot that doesn't charge resort fee.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1926 posts
252 upvotes
Vancouver
crags13 wrote: Any tips on getting the best price on the strip? We want a hotel with a really good pool, so Aria, Caesars, bellagio, Wynn, etc....
MGM good too
Apr 10, 2009
254 posts
192 upvotes
Vancouver Island
We are thinking of going to Vegas for 3-4 days and can travel anytime between July 2 and have to be back on July 15th. I know nothing about Vegas so any help on how to get the best deal and where to staywould be appreciated.
we can fly from Victoria,Vancouver or Bellingham. The only to do thing on our list is going to see LOVE by Cirque.

Thx in advance for any help.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12399 posts
4935 upvotes
Toronto
License To Chill wrote: We are thinking of going to Vegas for 3-4 days and can travel anytime between July 2 and have to be back on July 15th. I know nothing about Vegas so any help on how to get the best deal and where to staywould be appreciated.
we can fly from Victoria,Vancouver or Bellingham. The only to do thing on our list is going to see LOVE by Cirque.

Thx in advance for any help.
It is a very long thread, but at least read the last 15-20 pages.
I read through them when I visited last DEC and the info are very useful.

If you have any specific question, then feel free to ask here.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3688 posts
1227 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
MP3_SKY wrote: It is a very long thread, but at least read the last 15-20 pages.
I read through them when I visited last DEC and the info are very useful.

If you have any specific question, then feel free to ask here.
I'm looking into heading to Vegas + 1 adult from Sunday Dec 3rd to Fri Dec 8th. I'm primarily going for the Mosconi Cup event (a major annual billiards event USA vs Europe) and it will be held at the Mandalay Hotel. The best hotel deal that I could currently find is at Excalibur for $28 / night (+$34 Resort fees etc). $333 USD for 5 nights. We haven't decided if we should stay until Sunday or leave on Friday. Any advice when and where to look for direct flights to Vegas from Toronto in December? Right now it looks about $600 average round trip. I currently have my flights tracked on Skyscanner.
Jun 5, 2017
3 posts
I am planning on travelling to vegas from June 29th to July 4th with my wife. I was thinking of staying in one of the following and was hoping to get some latest info on these places:
1. Mirage
2. Linq or Bally's (Cheaper option and on the strip)
3. Treasure Island

Last time I was in Vegas was in December 2014 when parking was still free and I was there with my family and we had a great time staying at Treasure Island. I am looking at package options at selloffvacations or expedia.ca (hotal+flight+car). I am interested in driving to the grand canyon and hoover dam rather than doing tours with tour companies. I am basically looking for recommendations on where to stay, what to do and any other activities we should do.