Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Bell

Locked: Virgin Mobile/Bell: Unlimited talk, text & 6GB data for $50/mnth *T-Bay only

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 25th, 2014 3:02 pm
Dec 19, 2011
259 posts
29 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
eonibm wrote: Given wireless plans keep going up (another $5 increase this month from the big 3), I've never heard of a month-to-month plan going up in price but I wonder what would keep Virgin or Bell from increasing the $45 TBay plan. They likely wouldn't eliminate the 10% BYOP but I could see them increasing the base fee of $50. There is no contract to stop them and it's not like we mtm subscribers have any bargaining power right?
PREVIOUS NAME: 10%off TBay V&D 50 Share
NEW NAME: Thunder Bay Voice & Data 48 Share
NEW MONTHLY RATE PLAN: $48.00

My plan is listed as 10%off TBay V&D 50 Share BB

http://support.bell.ca/Billing-and-Acco ... 110917_pc_

I hope I'm just misunderstanding that
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24667 posts
8738 upvotes
Toronto
interesting....looks like this doesn't apply to Virgin Mobile TB50 plan as it is considered a Platinum plan and the price increases are only on the SIM-only Silver and Gold plans:
Monthly cost changes to select SIM-only Silver and Gold Plans.

Virgin Mobile offers Members super-hot smartphones, ridiculously fast LTE speeds and plans with loads of extras built right in. To maintain and improve the service we provide the monthly recurring charge for select Silver and Gold plans is going up by $3. Read on to find out what plans are changing.

http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/support/m ... pdate.html

irate23 wrote: PREVIOUS NAME: 10%off TBay V&D 50 Share
NEW NAME: Thunder Bay Voice & Data 48 Share
NEW MONTHLY RATE PLAN: $48.00

My plan is listed as 10%off TBay V&D 50 Share BB

http://support.bell.ca/Billing-and-Acco ... 110917_pc_

I hope I'm just misunderstanding that
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
ji2o0k wrote: interesting....looks like this doesn't apply to Virgin Mobile TB50 plan as it is considered a Platinum plan and the price increases are only on the SIM-only Silver and Gold plans:

http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/support/m ... pdate.html
You're right. I am on Virg and it still reads:

My Plan Smartphone 50 - 6 GB HSPA

Mobile TV included - $5 value
Standard LD Rate (to U.S. & CAN)
myPeeps
Smartphone Data - 6 GB
Unlimited anytime minutes
Canada-Wide Calling
Text & PIC to Can, US & Int'l
Unlimited Incoming Text
Call Display Included
Voice Mail 10 Included
Pay per use Voice - U.S. Roaming

$50.00/mo.
Individual features
10% BYOP Plan Savings $0.00/mo

But you know every other utility I have including Rogers Cable TV and Teksavvy Internet has been going up over time so I fully expect this to go up at some point too.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6622 upvotes
London
Prices are low because bell's poor network coverage in Thunderbay cant compete against tbaytel .

As Bell finishes its future network expansion on hwy 11 west to Fort Francis, 17 East to Marathon and 11 north to Geraldton, prices surely will rise to tbaytel levels
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
l69norm wrote: Prices are low because bell's poor network coverage in Thunderbay cant compete against tbaytel .

As Bell finishes its future network expansion on hwy 11 west to Fort Francis, 17 East to Marathon and 11 north to Geraldton, prices surely will rise to tbaytel levels
No doubt about that.
I guess the question is always, will they raise rates on M2M users.
It rarely happens, but you can never put it past these 3 chumps. ;)
Dec 16, 2011
8 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah, but when I used to work for Bell I recall seeing some customers who had plans from 2002 and even earlier with plans with extremely low prices. Bell never changed their prices after the were enrolled in those plans. I think once you have a cellphone plan the price is pretty much frozen, and the price increase only applies to new customers. I could obviously be wrong, however. I mean the best example is for those who got this plan for $50, now when the price increased to I think $55 or $60 those of us who already had the plan did not experience this price increase.

Also, I think it would be a mistake to make a generalization about price increases particularly about cellphone prices just because your cable or internet prices have increased.

DB
Oct 23, 2012
366 posts
259 upvotes
From my experience I have never had any rates increases for mobile on Telus,Fido and VT. But cable,internet and home phone all get increases, year after year.
Feb 15, 2011
310 posts
96 upvotes
OK, I'm going to assume there's nothing I can do in this situation...And that I will lose my TB plan...However, I wanted to see if anyone has had success with retention.

I'm eligible for an upgrade.
I'm on the TBay plan. I no longer live in TBay (I have moved to the GTA area).
My contract is up, and I'd like to renew.

Has anyone had any success getting a plan that is even remotely close to what the TBay plan offer through retention? I'm not concerned about the data as I don't use it much.

Just thought I'd ask here.
Oct 20, 2013
1 posts
Nolalu, ON
Maybe someone can quickly help me here.

I have tbay address (I live here), and I want to get my gf on this plan. She can use my Tbay address, but she wants to keep her old Rogers 519 number.

I also have an account with this plan on it, for over a year now.

What is my best option?

1. Just get her a new account, use my address, and port her number? My only concern is how quickly she can change the number on the account without calling up a red flag, even if it has a tbay address.

2. Transfer my account to her (either TOR or just authorized user), port her number immediately, and sign myself up for another account and take back my old number?

Or is there another way given my specific situation?
Jul 13, 2009
926 posts
186 upvotes
tazz131 wrote: OK, I'm going to assume there's nothing I can do in this situation...And that I will lose my TB plan...However, I wanted to see if anyone has had success with retention.

Has anyone had any success getting a plan that is even remotely close to what the TBay plan offer through retention? I'm not concerned about the data as I don't use it much.

Cant you just keep the plan using the Tbay number? Or just port a GTA number to the plan?
Thanks.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24667 posts
8738 upvotes
Toronto
tazz131 wrote: OK, I'm going to assume there's nothing I can do in this situation...And that I will lose my TB plan...However, I wanted to see if anyone has had success with retention.

Unfortunately given that you no longer live in Tbay, it will be very difficult to renew AND get a subsidy on a new phone.

I would suggest you just keep the TB plan on month-to-month and use those savings towards a new phone outright....

If you look at the new 2yr plans - the costs are pretty much $75 and up per month for what you are getting.

Not sure if you like the BB Q5 but there is a good deal offered from Koodo for a brand new BB Q5 for $150 outright - steal of a deal right there and the new BBs work with smartphone data plans...

koodo-bnib-blackberry-q5-150-a-1453984/

Or you can get a Moto G brand new for around the same price as well...
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
dolphinbrowser wrote: Yeah, but when I used to work for Bell I recall seeing some customers who had plans from 2002 and even earlier with plans with extremely low prices. Bell never changed their prices after the were enrolled in those plans. I think once you have a cellphone plan the price is pretty much frozen, and the price increase only applies to new customers. I could obviously be wrong, however. I mean the best example is for those who got this plan for $50, now when the price increased to I think $55 or $60 those of us who already had the plan did not experience this price increase.

Also, I think it would be a mistake to make a generalization about price increases particularly about cellphone prices just because your cable or internet prices have increased.

DB
It's the only thing that doesn't increase though. I don't know another recurring expense I pay that does not increase, ie gas, electricity, water, car insurance, home insurance, cable tv, internet, property taxes, driver's license, license plates and the list goes on. I love it of course, but why are m2m cell phone plans the only 'utility' price that does not seem to increase?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There

I dare say trying to keep the plan AND get an upgrade is looking the gift horse in the mouth. You are not eligible for an upgrade on your current TB plan. You are if you switch to a more expensive plan. Once your contract is up you will revert to m2m at the same monthly price. However it is questionable whether you can get the BYOP 10% now that you are off contract. Doesn't make sense and it is unfair since you own the phone now and effectively are BYOP but that's what I understand to be the case.

Find out what the new monthly cost is over the life of a more expensive plan that would allow you to get an upgrade and subtract the subsidy. See if that makes it worth it over keeping your current plan.

I love the fact that I have no contract and upgrade whenever the hell I want to, not just when the contract expires. For me the payback period (using plan costs before the prices went up and including a retention monthly credit) was 26 months. In other words, I save enough money in that time to get a new unlocked iPhone outright from apple and never had to pay an unlock fee, not to mention I don't have to suffer 3 months with a locked phone waiting to pay to get it unlocked. And, now the payback period would be even shorter. And if I don't think the new phones offered are a good enough reason to upgrade I can just wait.
Feb 15, 2011
310 posts
96 upvotes
My wife got a Q5 recently. Waiting for it to arrive. I'm going to check it out. I thought I would have to switch over to a BB plan...

I get all of the other responses...I just get bored of my phone...(I've got a Nexus 4 right now)...So I can't really complain.

I will go month to month and save for a new one...By the time I get enough money to purchase one outright it will be time for the iPhone 7-8...Woo!
ji2o0k wrote: Unfortunately given that you no longer live in Tbay, it will be very difficult to renew AND get a subsidy on a new phone.

I would suggest you just keep the TB plan on month-to-month and use those savings towards a new phone outright....

If you look at the new 2yr plans - the costs are pretty much $75 and up per month for what you are getting.

Not sure if you like the BB Q5 but there is a good deal offered from Koodo for a brand new BB Q5 for $150 outright - steal of a deal right there and the new BBs work with smartphone data plans...

koodo-bnib-blackberry-q5-150-a-1453984/

Or you can get a Moto G brand new for around the same price as well...