Ongoing Deal Discussion

Locked: [Bell] Virgin Mobile/Bell: Unlimited talk, text & 6GB data for $50/mnth *T-Bay only

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 25th, 2014 3:02 pm
SCORE
+66
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
2736 posts
93 upvotes
xaveryptak wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 1:22 pm
How safe is it to attempt a .....?
Hey xaveryptak, you should edit this post and delete the content so they don't start cracking on this as well...
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2007
1937 posts
531 upvotes
London
mc_molineux wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 8:31 am
Do you have the plan already? If so, you are fine and no need to switch until you hear otherwise.

If not, and you are still in Thunder Bay you can go to a Bell store and show ID. The will resolve the issues people on this thread are having.
Yup got it early with online address change and simple phone call to virgin. Although rep didn't change til next billing cycle which happens in a few days...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
6183 posts
340 upvotes
Toronto
bose wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 1:12 pm
Unfortunately, you have been flagged when you called too many times....

I don't think Bell will start flagging existing accounts with TB50 plan with non-TB area codes and start contacting customer to cancel as it requires a tremendous financial resources that does not benefit Bell whatsoever. Bell will be blocking future activation so the deal is dead.....

Anyone with proper TB50 plan, just keep your head low for a while just in case until all the dust settles.

The stupid part is that I wouldn't have had to call so many times if they didn't make mistakes in adding the plan in the first place. The rep mistakenly put me on a 36M contract for a TB50 Blackberry plan when I don't even have a Blackberry and I had initially signed up for a MTM plan.

I also don't think they'll catch everyone, at least not right away, BUT the word is definitely out now and Bell is definitely trying to do something to keep people from switching to this plan now. So again it's risky for those people signing new 3 year contracts. Those people on MTM I think don't have anything to worry about because worst case scenario they just move to another provider. For everyone on contract, it could be a big hassle down the road when they ask you to provide proof of residence next time you call in, if you can't then technically they can claim fraud on your part, which would mean they would not have to let you out of your contract penalty free. You COULD file a complaint with the CCTS at that point, but again it's a big hassle and who knows what the outcome of that complaint could be.

*edit* I actually did argue for an extensive period about how I went through 4 Bell reps within the past week and none of them mentioned "proof of residence" as a requirement for the plan. And I did say I was going to make a complaint to the CCTS that they were not honoring my agreement since the "proof of residence" wasn't stated at the time of agreement, as a condition for acceptance of the TB50 plan. They apologized a lot about the mistake but said that there was no way they could give me the plan because the "proof of residence" requirement was not fulfilled and the agreement would be fraudulent without it. They said if I could fax them "proof of residence" they would honor the agreement. They even gave me the contact info for the escalation department and said if I wanted to pursue it further I could do so.

Either way they were not going to let me end the phone call with keeping me on the TB50 plan. Sure I can escalate things and make a CCTS complaint but it's a hassle and really not worth it to save a few $$ every month.

The weird thing I can't figure out is that Bell didn't even try to retain me... they're just letting me walk. No retention offers or anything. I already cancelled the one line I had and am heading to the store to return the other under "buyers remorse". If they had at least tried to offer me something comparable within $10 of the $50 price point I may have kept one line with them.
RFD + ME = POOR
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
1907 posts
128 upvotes
Mississauga
@.@ you are talking to robbers...
they don't easily offer you anything...
Oct 5, 2011
317 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
jamgyu wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 1:38 pm
The stupid part is that I wouldn't have had to call so many times if they didn't make mistakes in adding the plan in the first place. The rep mistakenly put me on a 36M contract for a TB50 Blackberry plan when I don't even have a Blackberry and I had initially signed up for a MTM plan.

I also don't think they'll catch everyone, at least not right away, BUT the word is definitely out now and Bell is definitely trying to do something to keep people from switching to this plan now. So again it's risky for those people signing new 3 year contracts. Those people on MTM I think don't have anything to worry about because worst case scenario they just move to another provider. For everyone on contract, it could be a big hassle down the road when they ask you to provide proof of residence next time you call in, if you can't then technically they can claim fraud on your part, which would mean they would not have to let you out of your contract penalty free. You COULD file a complaint with the CCTS at that point, but again it's a big hassle and who knows what the outcome of that complaint could be.

*edit* I actually did argue for an extensive period about how I went through 4 Bell reps within the past week and none of them mentioned "proof of residence" as a requirement for the plan. And I did say I was going to make a complaint to the CCTS that they were not honoring my agreement since the "proof of residence" wasn't stated at the time of agreement, as a condition for acceptance of the TB50 plan. They apologized a lot about the mistake but said that there was no way they could give me the plan because the "proof of residence" requirement was not fulfilled and the agreement would be fraudulent without it. They said if I could fax them "proof of residence" they would honor the agreement. They even gave me the contact info for the escalation department and said if I wanted to pursue it further I could do so.

Either way they were not going to let me end the phone call with keeping me on the TB50 plan. Sure I can escalate things and make a CCTS complaint but it's a hassle and really not worth it to save a few $$ every month.

The weird thing I can't figure out is that Bell didn't even try to retain me... they're just letting me walk. No retention offers or anything. I already cancelled the one line I had and am heading to the store to return the other under "buyers remorse". If they had at least tried to offer me something comparable within $10 of the $50 price point I may have kept one line with them.
Hahah relax bro. Don't hate the player, hate the game... Lol we all know we're not supposed to be eligible for that plan anyways.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
2736 posts
93 upvotes
jamgyu wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 1:38 pm
So again it's risky for those people signing new 3 year contracts. Those people on MTM I think don't have anything to worry about because worst case scenario they just move to another provider. For everyone on contract, it could be a big hassle down the road when they ask you to provide proof of residence next time you call in, if you can't then technically they can claim fraud on your part, which would mean they would not have to let you out of your contract penalty free. You COULD file a complaint with the CCTS at that point, but again it's a big hassle and who knows what the outcome of that complaint could be.
I am not sure they can ask for proof of residence, I've just read the terms of the offer, it states this: "Current as of October 3, 2012. Available in select Thunder Bay stores to clients residing at a Thunder Bay postal code with new activation."

You can claim that you moved out of Thunder Bay. The offer terms does not cover the case where you register and move out, they can't come back and try and screw you because of fraud if you did register with a thunder bay address.

But then these guys can play fast and lose anytime they want, they key here is going to be to stay under the radar for as long as possible.
Offer ends on December 31st, so in a week's time the deal will be dead for real anyway. My guess is that any major action will come around that time. Problem is that lots of people will be on vacation so Bell might crack down a few weeks into January if they decided to go after everyone.

The amount of crap canadians have to go through to get a decent cell phone plan is just flabbergasting ...

http://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Promotions/Thunder-Bay
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2007
2066 posts
327 upvotes
Ottawa
lucky I haven't ported my rogers no. yet, otherwise I will lose my 6gb superplan.
I think I will return the phone......
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
6183 posts
340 upvotes
Toronto
Cress wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 1:59 pm
I am not sure they can ask for proof of residence, I've just read the terms of the offer, it states this: "Current as of October 3, 2012. Available in select Thunder Bay stores to clients residing at a Thunder Bay postal code with new activation."

You can claim that you moved out of Thunder Bay. The offer terms does not cover the case where you register and move out, they can't come back and try and screw you because of fraud if you did register with a thunder bay address.

But then these guys can play fast and lose anytime they want, they key here is going to be to stay under the radar for as long as possible.
Offer ends on December 31st, so in a week's time the deal will be dead for real anyway. My guess is that any major action will come around that time. Problem is that lots of people will be on vacation so Bell might crack down a few weeks into January if they decided to go after everyone.

The amount of crap canadians have to go through to get a decent cell phone plan is just flabbergasting ...

http://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Promotions/Thunder-Bay

The mistake is definitely on their end for letting people switch to the plan over the phone when it states that a condition of the plan is that you need to get it at a Thunder Bay store and reside at a Thunder Bay postal code.

And they full on admitted their mistake with me. But it's still fraud because it says RESIDING at a Thunder Bay postal code. If you don't live in Thunder Bay and you claim you do by changing your address there, then technically you're committing fraud. BUT it's still their mistake for letting their reps switch people to the plan without full disclosure of what the requirements are.

So if you were to fight this with the CCTS I wouldn't say it's a clear cut case and would be a big hassle. CCTS was created to protect consumers from being taken advantage of by the service provider... this TB50 plan is a case where the consumer is trying to take advantage of the service provider which I don't think is covered by the CCTS.

And I'm not really upset about not getting the deal... to be honest switching to Bell would have increased my monthly fees actually since I'm on Mobilicity... and when I called in to Mobilicity to tell them I was going to port out they actually gave me a $10 monthly credit as a retention offer (I didn't even know they had a retention department). So the whole fiasco has me actually paying less per month than I did before which isn't so bad.

:)
RFD + ME = POOR
Jan 22, 2011
233 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
Airbus wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 2:01 pm
lucky I haven't ported my rogers no. yet, otherwise I will lose my 6gb superplan.
I think I will return the phone......
Same boat as you, but I really don't think they will go after anyone, it just doesn't seem realistic to me. Probably going to wait it out. For years I was on the old $17.50 EPP insider plan with Rogers that I signed up for as an "Airmiles Employee" and used my airmiles card number as my employee number lol.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3369 posts
821 upvotes
Ottawa
So I just back from Costco (Merivale), picked up the last Note 2 with a Fab10 plan. I went last night and the girl said she would reserve one for me and said there would be no problem registering with a Thunder Bay address. I went today and the Assistant Manager was standing beside her. When we were going through the sign up process, I mentioned how I wanted a TB address, she said "Sure, no problem". The manager suddenly steps in and says "If you need a Thunder Bay address and phone number, go to Thunder Bay to get one or call Bell customer service after you sign up". It's going to be a lot harder now considering I now have to change address and phone number to Thunder Bay. Costco return is you have to go back to Wireless Etc., state a reason why you want to return and they will give you a receipt, then you take the receipt to Customer Returns
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2004
9726 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
is there a difference between the Tb50 bb plan and a non blackberry plan? They activated me on the TB50 bb plan, but I'll be switching to android soon. I put my sim in a Galaxy nexus, and it works fine.
Ask me a question about ANYTHING here: http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=692100
Jan 22, 2011
233 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
shadow_cruiser wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 2:31 pm
So I just back from Costco (Merivale), picked up the last Note 2 with a Fab10 plan. I went last night and the girl said she would reserve one for me and said there would be no problem registering with a Thunder Bay address. I went today and the Assistant Manager was standing beside her. When we were going through the sign up process, I mentioned how I wanted a TB address, she said "Sure, no problem". The manager suddenly steps in and says "If you need a Thunder Bay address and phone number, go to Thunder Bay to get one or call Bell customer service after you sign up". It's going to be a lot harder now considering I now have to change address and phone number to Thunder Bay. Costco return is you have to go back to Wireless Etc., state a reason why you want to return and they will give you a receipt, then you take the receipt to Customer Returns
Please report back how it goes for you, wondering if the deal is really dying or it's just a few people getting unlucky.
Thanks
Jan 19, 2007
649 posts
70 upvotes
shadow_cruiser wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 2:31 pm
It's easier if you have a friend who's a dealer ;)
× < >