• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2013 3:28 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1744 posts
77 upvotes
I am thinking signing up to acanac. I need to buy a phone adapter router.

Their website has a link to a “Cisco SPA-2102 phone adapter with router” for about $70+tax.

I need a new wireless router, and will be going to Staples today.. is a “phone adapter” something that I can get from there too that will be cheaper/ just as effective?

I am new to voip stuff….I assume any phone adapter can be used with any Voip provider?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
98 upvotes
mcewen wrote:
Dec 31st, 2010 2:41 pm
I need a new wireless router, and will be going to Staples today.. is a “phone adapter” something that I can get from there too that will be cheaper/ just as effective?
I don't think Staples carries ATAs (Analog Telephone Adapters). Computer retailers like NCIX are probably the cheapest source. Most people buy either the Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 or the PAP2T (http://ncix.com/products/?sku=21847&vpn ... ture=CISCO). The main difference is that the 2102 includes a "pass-through" router and hooks up directly to your modem to ensure that it can give the telephone voice traffic top priority, while the PAP2T doesn't have a router, and hooks up to your existing router (in which case it's best if your router has QoS capability to give priority to the ATA traffic).
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1744 posts
77 upvotes
ok.. I just got back from staples.. picked up the Dlink rangebooster duel band DIR 628.
I was speaking to the company that sells the SPA2102, who said that particular model of ATA doesn't replace my need for a router.

is this true - because the previous message indicates that it is a router.... so if so.. why do I require the dlink (other than for wireless capability?)....

thanks..
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
98 upvotes
mcewen wrote:
Dec 31st, 2010 4:02 pm
I was speaking to the company that sells the SPA2102, who said that particular model of ATA doesn't replace my need for a router.is this true - because the previous message indicates that it is a router.... so if so.. why do I require the dlink (other than for wireless capability?)....
The router in the SPA2102 is a full router in terms of internal functionality, but it has only a single LAN port rather than a switch supporting 4 LAN ports as most routers have. That's because it's intended only as a pass-through router to go between your modem and your computer or existing router. In theory you could combine the SPA2102 with a 4-port ethernet switch and get the same functionality as a regular non-wireless router, but even then it's not really intended to be a high-performance router supporting multiple LAN ports directly.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1744 posts
77 upvotes
the main reason I want the router in the first place is security... I would rather have a hardware firewall than a software firewall....
the wireless aspect of my router is nice... but not a must. My main computer will be wired in as my understanding is it is faster.

edit: at this time my "main" computer is my only computer.... save my wireless printer and when my son comes over looking to use my wi-fi... I have no other need for wireless right now.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1744 posts
77 upvotes
HELP PLEASE!

I have the Dlink DIR 628 wireless rangebooster N router. Setup.... working great.

now I want to introduce the SPA2102 into the mix. Not working. put it in front of and behind the router... no change.

I have been reading that I should add my ATA address to my router DMZ (huh?) how?

any help is appreciated.
Apr 13, 2011
1 posts
hamilton
There is a relatively new company called Talkit.ca that i recently signed up for. It is unlimited Canada calling for $59.99/year. No monthly fees. You have to purchase the ATA device in the first year which is $79.99. I was skeptical at first but they have a 30 day trial period which as a bit of a relief. I've been using it now for some time and have no complaints. Reliability is good and I'm saving huge money... I would recommend to anyone. www.talkit.ca
Jun 2, 2008
481 posts
32 upvotes
jobin1 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2011 12:27 am
There is a relatively new company called Talkit.ca that i recently signed up for. It is unlimited Canada calling for $59.99/year. No monthly fees. You have to purchase the ATA device in the first year which is $79.99. I was skeptical at first but they have a 30 day trial period which as a bit of a relief. I've been using it now for some time and have no complaints. Reliability is good and I'm saving huge money... I would recommend to anyone. www.talkit.ca

Seeing as how you work for Talkit.ca I have a question. What type of ata do I get for $80 and is it locked to your service?
Jun 2, 2008
481 posts
32 upvotes
mcewen wrote:
Jan 18th, 2011 1:12 am
HELP PLEASE!

I have the Dlink DIR 628 wireless rangebooster N router. Setup.... working great.

now I want to introduce the SPA2102 into the mix. Not working. put it in front of and behind the router... no change.

I have been reading that I should add my ATA address to my router DMZ (huh?) how?

any help is appreciated.

You need to be more specific when you say "not working".
Dec 18, 2007
866 posts
146 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Any other recommendations for VOIP Providers?
Apr 16, 2009
603 posts
54 upvotes
Vancouver
Voip.ms and freephoneline seem to be a big hit around here.
Dec 18, 2007
866 posts
146 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
DefconZero wrote:
Jun 9th, 2011 8:18 pm
Voip.ms and freephoneline seem to be a big hit around here.
I would go with Voip.ms if they had an unlimited outgoing plan; unfortunately, they don't.

Freephoneline - Don't like the idea of paying $50 to bring my own ATA, and it's mostly a soft phone service, which I am not looking for.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1364 posts
78 upvotes
AsianXL wrote:
Jun 9th, 2011 8:46 pm
I would go with Voip.ms if they had an unlimited outgoing plan; unfortunately, they don't.
Each to his/her own, but I really don't get the fear of paygo when the rates are as low as 1/2 a cent per minute for Canada-wide calling.

We spend at least an hour/day on the phone, about 2/3 of that is outgoing calls to Canada-wide, US and UK. Our monthly bill rarely exceeds $10, so what's so scary about that?
× < >