Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
399 upvotes
GT&A
Better now.
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Banned
Feb 26, 2012
231 posts
6 upvotes
NORTH YORK
posted in another thread
couldnt agree more
of course there needs to be some order, but too much is never a good thing

gei wrote:
May 29th, 2012 12:08 pm
yeah the new rules may kill OT. The whole point of this subforum is that it's off-topic and lighthearted - threads that belong nowhere else and have no specific purpose. over-moderating it seems rather pointless
It seems to be getting harder.. distinguishing reality from the illusions people make for us, or the ones we make for ourselves.
I don't know. Maybe that's part of the plan, to make me think I'm crazy....... it's working.

and before you know it, crazy becomes normal..
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20060 posts
4020 upvotes
Poormond Hill
In my opinion, it seems boring.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
81 upvotes
The last post in Archives is a good example of the kind of braindead nonsense that caused the forumto be nuked from orbit.
vero95 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 11:42 am
LOL what does project management have to do with project being over budget?
vero95 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2013 12:34 pm
$5c for a plastic bag >= $30 for a jug of milk
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
1857 posts
196 upvotes
what was the point of this?
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14093 posts
576 upvotes
Toronto
Blockwork wrote:
May 29th, 2012 12:37 pm
posted in another thread
couldnt agree more
of course there needs to be some order, but too much is never a good thing

Off-topic is good. Light-hearted is good. All that stuff listed in the box the first time someone posts after the Reboot that invaded Off-topic - not so much.

Off-topic wouldn't need rules if some folks knew how to control themselves. We could have political and religious discussion. But some folks, for various reasons, become so heated, disrespectful, and offensive that if they can't play nice, might as well not play at all.
Oct 4, 2006
362 posts
5 upvotes
oranr wrote:
May 29th, 2012 12:07 pm
We have rebooted Off Topic for a fresh start! We are going to tighten up on the rules in Off Topic. The biggest change is that we are not allowing Political discussions anymore and will be cracking down on the racism, bickering, taunting, overall rudeness and most of all trolling that has showing up in the past little while.

Does that include Quebec bashing? Because Quebec bashing was always tolerated and encouraged in the past.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2011
2140 posts
388 upvotes
Winnipeg
gei wrote:
May 29th, 2012 12:20 pm
Am I the only one who thought off topic was just fine the way it was? A little intense debating, political conversation, etc etc, is actually fun. The new rules are only going to water everything down and make it boring

I agree, I don't come on the internet to not be offended a little... Seriously
😉
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
7127 posts
1737 upvotes
strategy wrote:
May 29th, 2012 12:40 pm
what was the point of this?
fyi...
oranr wrote:
May 29th, 2012 12:07 pm
- we have rebooted off topic for a fresh start!
- we are going to tighten up on the rules in off topic.
- the biggest change is that we are not allowing political discussions anymore and will be cracking down on the racism, bickering, taunting, overall rudeness and most of all trolling that has showing up in the past little while.

We want to get back to a off topic forum that will welcome all and be a fun, friendly place to chat about topics that don't belong anywhere else on the site.

Not the hostile, rude, trolling forum that it currently was.

I will transfer back good threads from the old off topic. If you would like to see a thread returned, please let me know and a decision will be made on it.

Thanks,
oranr
Nothing is true, everything is permitted - Ezio Auditore.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4289 posts
555 upvotes
Toronto
Okay, I know they've archived everything, but it's so bare now. I thoroughly enjoyed the conversations in this forum, more so than many of the other forums as there's always something interesting to read here. Sure, there's the odd guy breaking the rules with his/her posts, but in general I found the topics discussed very informative. Shouldn't it be the moderators' job to remove the repeat offenders instead of wiping everything out?
Board games!!!!
Jun 14, 2010
731 posts
39 upvotes
Edmonton
projectmoonlightcafe wrote:
May 29th, 2012 1:10 pm
Okay, I know they've archived everything, but it's so bare now. I thoroughly enjoyed the conversations in this forum, more so than many of the other forums as there's always something interesting to read here. Sure, there's the odd guy breaking the rules with his/her posts, but in general I found the topics discussed very informative. Shouldn't it be the moderators' job to remove the repeat offenders instead of wiping everything out?

Perhaps this is a new start? You now have to agree to a form.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4289 posts
555 upvotes
Toronto
Le Loon wrote:
May 29th, 2012 1:13 pm
Perhaps this is a new start? You now have to agree to a form.

Seriously, I don't see much racism or rudeness as often as the moderators suggest. Taunting, maybe.
Board games!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7937 posts
1355 upvotes
Toronto
Repeat offenders should have be banned regardless of a forum wipe. Archiving the forum seems to have no positive purpose for anyone.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2007
3137 posts
338 upvotes
CALGARY
For some reason I read Ornars post as

"We have rebooted Off Topic for a fresh start! We are going to lighten up on the rules in Off Topic"

And I thought...hell yes...some positive change!!!! but the next sentence forced me to go back and correct my error... :cry:

Yeah sure RFD, you can play our emotions around - we are addicted to you - are you know it. [you can charge a cr@ck-he@d anything for his next pot, he gotta have regadless of the price (that's why intro to drugs is always free)]

I think OT (or part of it) should be totally un-moderated. Good luck.
  • To overcome evil with good is good, to resist evil by evil is evil.
  • A sign of a person’s evil is his need to constantly argue.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2010
2505 posts
571 upvotes
I know everyone thinks Off Topic will be totally different but it won't be that different. We will be clamping down on certain areas that we found didn't provide quality content and weren't good for the community.

It won't be a Police state as some have mentioned. Hardly the case, we will be enforcing the rules which some users have taken advantage of and trying to stop some of the bad trends that have popped up, basically racism and stereotyping. This type of behaviour isn't acceptable in real life and it won't be accepted on this site.

Please remember that using a race, ethnicity or religion to describe someone or their habits/behaviour is not allowed. This is one of the major changes I want to get across. There is absolutely no need for it.
For all community related matters, please PM TomRFD