off-topic = RFD?

learn something new every day
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2010
2505 posts
571 upvotes
Mrbj wrote:
May 29th, 2012 1:51 pm
Thanks oranr for pointing out my mistake regarding your user name - I've added your name to my browser's dictionary....but really I'm not off by that much and my spelling error didn't result a disrespectful word or phrase. With all the due respect I feel your post being too harsh and threatening. :confused:

Signing off....good luck with all the changes.
I do apologize for that, it was a little aggressive there wasn't it. There has been a trend to mis-spell my name on purpose to show disrespect to me. I was just stating that it won't be tolerated anymore.

I haven't had an interactions with you Mrbj and it wasn't meant to be a jab at you but an overall warning to the others who do mis-spell my name.

Again, my apologies!
For all community related matters, please PM TomRFD
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2010
2505 posts
571 upvotes
Please keep in mind that RedFlagDeals is a deal site, first and foremost. We found that the current state of Off Topic didn't mesh or flow with the direction of the site and it needed to be rebooted/cleaned up/started over, however you want to look at it. This isn't the end of RFD, hardly. IMO it will only make RFD a better place to shop, discuss deals and anything else you want to discuss.
For all community related matters, please PM TomRFD
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
81 upvotes
It always amazed me how many OT posters thought the site revolved around them when there's a lot, maybe even the majority, of posters who never venture in there because of the low level of discourse happening.
vero95 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 11:42 am
LOL what does project management have to do with project being over budget?
vero95 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2013 12:34 pm
$5c for a plastic bag >= $30 for a jug of milk
[OP]
Banned
Apr 13, 2009
3874 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
Doesn't matter anyways. When YLO goes to zero, I will be the white knight to step in to save RFD. After all, I am an ultra-high net worth, multi-billionaire. Then all you noobs will be following MY rules. You damn, dirty humans!
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2007
3139 posts
340 upvotes
CALGARY
oranr wrote:
May 29th, 2012 2:36 pm
I do apologize for that, it was a little aggressive there wasn't it. There has been a trend to mis-spell my name on purpose to show disrespect to me. I was just stating that it won't be tolerated anymore.

I haven't had an interactions with you Mrbj and it wasn't meant to be a jab at you but an overall warning to the others who do mis-spell my name.

Again, my apologies!

I appreciate your taking time to clear your position. Everyone, inlcuding mods, can make minor mistakes here and there and we, as community, should help correct each other and move forward!
  • To overcome evil with good is good, to resist evil by evil is evil.
  • A sign of a person’s evil is his need to constantly argue.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4676 posts
333 upvotes
Toronto
oranr wrote:
May 29th, 2012 1:35 pm
This type of behaviour isn't acceptable in real life and it won't be accepted on this site.

This is the internet dude - that's the whole point. I genuinely can't imagine anything on the internet actually offending me... when I see someone being ignorant/racist/whatever else I just laugh and shrug. But it's always entertaining to read people's opinions - even the "offensive" ones.

Yes this is a deals site first, and if people want deals they are right there to be had - they don't need to venture in to off topic at all. In fact, I'm guessing 99% of people don't.

IMO like others have said, off topic might have actually been better served by doing LESS moderating.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4291 posts
557 upvotes
Toronto
I think the old off-topic forum was good enough if there was good policing on infringing posts. Also, those threads with extremely low content also bug the heck out of me...there's new threads every single day just re-hashing headlines from news sources with the tagline "What do you think?". I don't mind banning those threads.
Board games!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
81 upvotes
gei wrote:
May 29th, 2012 3:25 pm
This is the internet dude - that's the whole point. I genuinely can't imagine anything on the internet actually offending me... when I see someone being ignorant/racist/whatever else I just laugh and shrug. But it's always entertaining to read people's opinions - even the "offensive" ones.

Yes this is a deals site first, and if people want deals they are right there to be had - they don't need to venture in to off topic at all. In fact, I'm guessing 99% of people don't.

IMO like others have said, off topic might have actually been better served by doing LESS moderating.

No it would not. What respectable brand would want to be associated with the crap going on in OT? A lot of the time it was like a black eye on the rest of the forum, and I'm not suggesting that I didn't contribute to that from time to time.
vero95 wrote:
vero95 wrote:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9365 posts
511 upvotes
Markham
45ED wrote:
May 29th, 2012 1:54 pm
Of course.

It's kind of silly to invoke the Charter on a matter like the Off-topic wipe. But the fact is those freedoms aren't exactly limitless. I'm pretty sure that if given the chance, the website could argue that the limits put into place are not unreasonable.

I believe legally the Charter only applies to governments, in other words, a private organization like RedFlagDeals is entitled to censor speech all they want without repercussion except potential lost business.
:lol:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
81 upvotes
Hairball wrote:
May 29th, 2012 4:12 pm
I believe legally the Charter only applies to governments, in other words, a private organization like RedFlagDeals is entitled to censor speech all they want without repercussion except potential lost business.

And this is detailed plainly in the agreements we all agreed to when we sign up and post on RFD.
vero95 wrote:
vero95 wrote:
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4316 posts
1178 upvotes
Toronto
gei wrote:
May 29th, 2012 3:25 pm

But RFD isn't some user-run, community action independent site anymore, it's a corporate asset. Good money was paid for it. I don't mean it in a "screw the man" derogatory way, but that's the truth - of course RFD is only valuable with the community intact, but it exists to fulfill a business's goals now. Microsoft, Rogers, Google etc. wouldn't tolerate the kind of OT discussions on their forums that were here, so I don't see how anyone's surprised that YP was looking for a way to get rid of them here. RFD as a brand is tainted in the public eye by being associated with some of the topics that were going on here. That makes it less valuable. RFD just isn't the site it was before, again not being critical, but it's no longer one dude and his buddies shooting the breeze, there's a lot more at stake now. Are advertisers just going to laugh and shrug and not look in OT if they don't want to see ignorant/racist/offensive topics?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9142 posts
1767 upvotes
Somewhere
I would argue that the Automotive forum caused more embarrassment for RFD/YP recently than OT.

Perhaps that forum should be archived and reset. ;)
:confused:
Apr 30, 2012
195 posts
5 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
iEyeCaptain wrote:
May 29th, 2012 4:31 pm
I would argue that the Automotive forum caused more embarrassment for RFD/YP recently than OT.

and it was only 2 or 3 particular users who acted as "catalyst" for that embarrassment. pretty easy for YP to rid themselves of the instigators.

BTW anyone feel like starting up some new threads in OT? getting bored with the Marriage thread lol
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2003
3330 posts
78 upvotes
Wow, is this the direction that RFD is heading to?
If it is, it's RIP to RFD.

When newbie Administrators starts taking power-trips on users about the innocent misspelling of their name, it's the beginning of the end.
We've dealt with plenty of trolls and and flaming before in the past, was it really necessary to nuke the whole off-topics and start anew?
I'll reserve judgement for now, but I definitely don't like where this is headed...
We always had reasonable moderators, and I don't really understand this new stance of intolerance.

Otherwise, it's back to Goldfishlegs for everyone... <==--Newbies need not need try to understand this line...
The RFD Doctrine -
Toronto : Anywhere west of Montreal and east of Calgary.
Scarborough: Anywhere becomes Scarborough if it's a thread about crime.
UrbanPoet: Automatic 1-Star thread starter.
Google: RFD is faster than Google. Make a thread if you need to find out what bus to take.