None
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2001
4791 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
oranr wrote:
May 29th, 2012 12:07 pm
We have rebooted Off Topic for a fresh start! We are going to tighten up on the rules in Off Topic. The biggest change is that we are not allowing Political discussions anymore and will be cracking down on the racism, bickering, taunting, overall rudeness and most of all trolling that has showing up in the past little while...

Did I read that right?

Didn't RFD use to have a religion, politic and bickering sub-forum within OT?

Then some bright mind in RFD think is a great idea to merge those sub-forum into OT.

And now, we are going back as before, just like playing musical chairs.
Mark77 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2011 9:37 pm
That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2006
7605 posts
389 upvotes
Scarborough
Blunt wrote:
May 29th, 2012 4:33 pm
Wow, is this the direction that RFD is heading to?
If it is, it's RIP to RFD.

When newbie Administrators starts taking power-trips on users about the innocent misspelling of their name, it's the beginning of the end.
We've dealt with plenty of trolls and and flaming before in the past, was it really necessary to nuke the whole off-topics and start anew?
I'll reserve judgement for now, but I definitely don't like where this is headed...
We always had reasonable moderators, and I don't really understand this new stance of intolerance.

Otherwise, it's back to Goldfishlegs for everyone... <==--Newbies need not need try to understand this line...
ornar is not new, nor is he just a mod. He is paid by YP, and thus he is following orders from his superiors.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
7127 posts
1746 upvotes
Im posting this as a RFD user/member and not as a Mod so Im only speaking for myself here. I dont know why some of you keeps saying RIP like somebody died in here? :rolleyes: Who said it is the end of OT?

All they are asking is to tone down on the racism and trollish behaviour and refrain from starting political threads. Don't forget they were never allowed before, but a small window of opportunity was opened to try it out and unfortunately a few users pushed the boundaries especially with Political bickering and racist attacks.

In order to keep uniformity for all users and reintroduce the posting guidellines the off topic needed to be wiped clean and start fresh. Also I don't know if you guys have noticed this or not but the forums are loading snappier than before probably since there is less drain on the server.

Anyway's what Im saying is give it a try, nothing is changed, don't listen to people who are acting like the world has come to an end. Nobody is out to get you or kill the fun, you are still expected to police yourself with your forum conduct.
The OT is going to grow again in no time, they are only trying to keep it enjoyable and a pleasant experience for ALL of users. We can all agree for one thing that something had to be done about the political thread, trolling and racist posts -- you've seen it all and there is no denying to it that it didnt happen in OT.

Instead of needless bickering, lets give it a try, lets do our part to keep this place a healthy and thriving community.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted - Ezio Auditore.
Jun 20, 2007
197 posts
1 upvote
lol this is your solution?

have you guys asked yourselves why off-topic has so many trolls? i've lurked that forum for years and it's obvious why. you can't have any sort of serious discussion there without the threads getting locked. members who have been here for years have resorted to trolling simply because that's all you can even do in that section anymore (i won't name names). when you have long time posters making useless one sentence replies to every post on page 1, or making "my cumpare" jokes, or users with over 10k posts that don't contribute anything and are known for it keep doing what they do.. doesn't that raise any flags for you guys that it's not the users but the off topic itself?

this won't solve anything, you aren't going after the root of the problem.

lol just look at this thread, people are trolling the admin IN IT. you're better off just deleting the off-topic if you care about the sites image so much, you guys clearly don't know why sites have such sections on their message boards anyway.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4736 posts
398 upvotes
Toronto
flashy_mcflash wrote:
May 29th, 2012 3:53 pm
No it would not. What respectable brand would want to be associated with the crap going on in OT? A lot of the time it was like a black eye on the rest of the forum, and I'm not suggesting that I didn't contribute to that from time to time.

And therein lies the danger of big corporations purchasing community driven websites and forcing them in line with the corporate standards - they often destroy the communities and environment that people came to the site for in the first place.

A good, often-cited example is Yahoo's purchase of Flickr - it was once the largest and most thriving image site on the net. After being bought out by a big company, it is now an afterthought and has been run into the ground.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
9161 posts
14179 upvotes
Well that was quite strange logging on this morning and falling into THE VOID.

Zombies? Alien invasion? Earthquake?

Glad it is just Spring Cleaning (as good and as terrible as that maybe).

OT is a community and all the comments here reflect that for whatever reason OT means something to us. Hopefully more than just a way of avoiding our paperwork and daily drudgery.

I hope that here is room for a few fun scraps and boxing matches, but that the abuse of others is over.
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
10989 posts
839 upvotes
Brampton
So your changing Ot cause you mods cannot moderate the forum properly? Well that is what it looks like, so you decided to change it. How convenient.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Jun 20, 2007
197 posts
1 upvote
cheapmeister wrote:
May 29th, 2012 5:33 pm
So your changing Ot cause you mods cannot moderate the forum properly? Well that is what it looks like, so you decided to change it. How convenient.

pretty much.
this just seems like the mods are too lazy to do their jobs properly as they'd rather delete threads on site than get rid of problem users.

for example there is nothing wrong with political discussion in my eyes, if someone becomes disrespectful or hateful, just remove them, not the thread.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6122 posts
986 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
cheapmeister wrote:
its_mo wrote:
May 29th, 2012 5:36 pm
pretty much.
this just seems like the mods are too lazy to do their jobs properly as they'd rather delete threads on site than get rid of problem users.

for example there is nothing wrong with political discussion in my eyes, if someone becomes disrespectful or hateful, just remove them, not the thread.

Very ignorant comments considering 'Us lazy mods' had no more say in the matter than you users did. For that matter it doesn't even make sense, it would be much easier to just ban everyone that questioned our decisions, or posted anything we didn't like. I am not suggesting that things should be run that way at all, but some forums DO operate like that. By allowing users to voice their concerns (and in some cases just whine and cry about everything) The Admin have made our own jobs a lot harder to allow the users more freedom. I certainly don't mind, but it would be nice if you showed the Admin *some* appreciation.
˙dlǝɥ ɹoɟ ǝɯ WԀ oʇ ǝɯoɔlǝʍ lǝǝℲ ˙spɹolɹǝʌO pℲɹ ʎɯ ɟo ǝɔᴉʌɹǝs uᴉ ƃuᴉʇɐɹǝpoW ʎlᴉddɐH
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
499 upvotes
Good job oranr and whoever else was responsible for this. That place needed a good purging.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6011 posts
436 upvotes
BC
Speaking as a member, not a mod, I think this is a great idea. Back when RFD first started Off Topic was a fun place to take part in. Now it is somewhere I go only for moderating, so much trolling, bickering, not a whole lot of fun. I dont think I am the only one who feels this way.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
9161 posts
14179 upvotes
cheapmeister wrote:
So your changing Ot cause you mods cannot moderate the forum properly?

I think the problem is a reflection of users not using the forum properly.

If moderators cannot moderate properly it is because they have to waste time "babysitting."

It is one thing to have a few spirited characters to give some spice to the forum, but it has gotten out of control and some quality participants have left because of it. The naughtiness-lite was fun, but some took it as an open door for abuse.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
973 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Keelie wrote:
May 29th, 2012 6:05 pm
Speaking as a member, not a mod, I think this is a great idea. Back when RFD first started Off Topic was a fun place to take part in. Now it is somewhere I go only for moderating, so much trolling, bickering, not a whole lot of fun. I dont think I am the only one who feels this way.

You're not! OT had unfortunately taken on a rather nasty tone. It wasn't a case of not being moderated "properly" but a case of we just couldn't keep up with it in many cases. Especially when stuff wasn't being reported. I know I certainly don't have time to read every single thread and every single post in each thread... Frankly I don't think any of us mods do!

I too remember way back when when OT was fun and non-confrontational. It was one of the reasons I hung around here, TBH... I am looking forward to it going back to what it once was, in it's full glory. :)
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1333 upvotes
CSK'sMom wrote:
May 29th, 2012 6:14 pm
You're not! OT had unfortunately taken on a rather nasty tone. It wasn't a case of not being moderated "properly" but a case of we just couldn't keep up with it in many cases. Especially when stuff wasn't being reported. I know I certainly don't have time to read every single thread and every single post in each thread... Frankly I don't think any of us mods do!

I too remember way back when when OT was fun and non-confrontational. It was one of the reasons I hung around here, TBH... I am looking forward to it going back to what it once was, in it's full glory. :)

+1
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1333 upvotes
cheapmeister wrote:

No, it's because - despite repeated warnings and ample opportunity to change - a large group of members in OT simply refuse to behave properly - i.e obey forum rules.

And, it's also one of the main reasons Ryan folded the old ' Politics and Religion ' forum prior to oranr's arrival.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!