Tags:
None
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1333 upvotes
ishfish wrote:
May 29th, 2012 6:07 pm
I think the problem is a reflection of users not using the forum properly.

If moderators cannot moderate properly it is because they have to waste time "babysitting."

It is one thing to have a few spirited characters to give some spice to the forum, but it has gotten out of control and some quality participants have left because of it. The naughtiness-lite was fun, but some took it as an open door for abuse.

Well said.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17148 posts
703 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
JK400 wrote:
May 29th, 2012 5:55 pm
Good job oranr and whoever else was responsible for this. That place needed a good purging.

Agreed - and many of the people in this thread "complaining" about the purge were among those trolls largely responsible for what OT became. They're lashing out due to the loss of their playpen...
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15992 posts
375 upvotes
what was the point of the overhaul? It's just dumping threads into another subsection.

more power to the mods? it's just going to alienate the rest of the community further.
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11875 posts
1673 upvotes
Rips ot
[OP]
Banned
Apr 13, 2009
3874 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
_Allan_ wrote:
May 29th, 2012 4:57 pm
ornar is not new, nor is he just a mod. He is paid by YP, and thus he is following orders from his superiors.

Hopefully stock options weren't part of his compensation package.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2004
2706 posts
86 upvotes
im predicting every 7 to 8 of 10 new OT threads will get locked within the first few pages
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5317 posts
875 upvotes
Best solution: Implement a reddit style forum where content is voted to the top or bottom by users. Self regulated content always works best and we can remove the burder of moderating from the current over-sensistive mods we have today.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5317 posts
875 upvotes
Question: What about relgious based avatars like _Allan_?

How is something like his Jesus fish less inciteful than a discussion on the West Bank etc
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14093 posts
576 upvotes
Toronto
Ziggy007 wrote:
May 29th, 2012 8:29 pm
Question: What about relgious based avatars like _Allan_?

How is something like his Jesus fish less inciteful than a discussion on the West Bank etc

Because no one's complained about it.
Jul 5, 2004
23862 posts
3410 upvotes
CSK'sMom wrote:
May 29th, 2012 6:14 pm
You're not! OT had unfortunately taken on a rather nasty tone. It wasn't a case of not being moderated "properly" but a case of we just couldn't keep up with it in many cases. Especially when stuff wasn't being reported. I know I certainly don't have time to read every single thread and every single post in each thread... Frankly I don't think any of us mods do!

I too remember way back when when OT was fun and non-confrontational. It was one of the reasons I hung around here, TBH... I am looking forward to it going back to what it once was, in it's full glory. :)

Like another member said, the racism, hostility, name calling, etc. is more like a symptom than the root problem. The root problem is that off topic has become such a mindless forum where nothing of any interest can be talked about anymore, so mindless people tend to flock there. I want to get into this more, but I have to head out. perhaps later.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
499 upvotes
Shaner wrote:
May 29th, 2012 9:00 pm
Like another member said, the racism, hostility, name calling, etc. is more like a symptom than the root problem. The root problem is that off topic has become such a mindless forum where nothing of any interest can be talked about anymore, so mindless people tend to flock there. I want to get into this more, but I have to head out. perhaps later.

I've noticed this has been the trend in general on the forums over the last couple of years. I'm glad he's finally putting his foot down and saying enough is enough. Some people actually come on here looking for useful information, we don't need it dragged down by a community who can't even spell something as simple as 'oranr' correctly.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4471 posts
277 upvotes
I have never seen off-topic so clean. Good times were found there back in 2008. :twisted:

Back then, when every other topic was a thread for news. :)
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1333 upvotes
konfusion666 wrote:
May 29th, 2012 6:49 pm
Agreed - and many of the people in this thread "complaining" about the purge were among those trolls largely responsible for what OT became. They're lashing out due to the loss of their playpen...

Bingo ! :D
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Jun 20, 2007
197 posts
1 upvote
EmperorOfCanada wrote:
May 29th, 2012 5:52 pm
Very ignorant comments considering 'Us lazy mods' had no more say in the matter than you users did. For that matter it doesn't even make sense, it would be much easier to just ban everyone that questioned our decisions, or posted anything we didn't like. I am not suggesting that things should be run that way at all, but some forums DO operate like that. By allowing users to voice their concerns (and in some cases just whine and cry about everything) The Admin have made our own jobs a lot harder to allow the users more freedom. I certainly don't mind, but it would be nice if you showed the Admin *some* appreciation.

I have no clue about what you're trying to say here.
Shaner wrote:
May 29th, 2012 9:00 pm

yup, pretty much sums up what i said earlier.

don't worry though guys, we will just clean it up with stricter rules, the off topic will be better promise!!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5317 posts
875 upvotes
45ED wrote:
May 29th, 2012 8:45 pm
Because no one's complained about it.

So I can create an anti-religion avatar and use that now too?