• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2012 4:49 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2010
1087 posts
195 upvotes
So, basically the admins have decided to turn up the crank on the level political correctness by 100x in OT? RIP OT.

The OT was a good forum. People could come on and talk about controversial topics that are usually taboo in real life, and the moderators did a good job of keeping it under control and locking threads whenever they got out of control. The admins are clearly making a mountain of a mole-hill, but whatever.
[OP]
Banned
Apr 13, 2009
3874 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
Less people visiting RFD equals less ad revenue for YLO, who just had their credit rating downgraded to CCC today. Yikes.
Temp. Banned
Sep 6, 2009
2182 posts
206 upvotes
Damn no more pasta sauce threads? or who smells worse........
Aug 19, 2007
314 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto
What is the point of archiving everything? The system and old threads were fine as they were. Just allow each thread to die off naturally.

I can agree with the crackdown on flamebait or troll posts, but no more political threads? The heck? There's usually some lively discussion going on there, albeit with some bad apples. But the good (discussion) outweighs the bad.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
12379 posts
2007 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
EmperorOfCanada wrote:
May 29th, 2012 5:52 pm
Very ignorant comments considering 'Us lazy mods' had no more say in the matter than you users did. For that matter it doesn't even make sense, it would be much easier to just ban everyone that questioned our decisions, or posted anything we didn't like. I am not suggesting that things should be run that way at all, but some forums DO operate like that. By allowing users to voice their concerns (and in some cases just whine and cry about everything) The Admin have made our own jobs a lot harder to allow the users more freedom. I certainly don't mind, but it would be nice if you showed the Admin *some* appreciation.

Why didn't you ban them then? And by ban I mean permanent bans. I brought it up with oranr before and he said he'd look into it. No action seems to have been taken place publicly. There's some repeat offenders who gets temporary banned every couple months. Sure they can get around it by using different e-mail addresses and usernames, but that's what IP tracking is for. At the very least, it narrows down and lets you determine who it might be.

In OT, good threads were getting locked, and threads that should be getting locked were not getting locked for the longest time. I've reported countless posts every so often, but none of them seem to get reviewed either... Sometimes it's obvious there were attacks going on so I report them. Then couple hours ago, thread is still alive and continues to get worse.

And as a long time member, I've stated it before and I'll state it again. Some of the mods are power trippy and definitely should have their status revoked. I won't mention who, but again, it's probably quite obvious.
Jul 5, 2004
23438 posts
2985 upvotes
JK400 wrote:
May 29th, 2012 9:02 pm
I've noticed this has been the trend in general on the forums over the last couple of years. I'm glad he's finally putting his foot down and saying enough is enough. Some people actually come on here looking for useful information, we don't need it dragged down by a community who can't even spell something as simple as 'oranr' correctly.

Oh I've been saying for years I wanted the admin to put their foot down, and I'm glad they finally are, but I still think the main issue isn't being addressed. I sent something similar in a PM to Oranr a while back when he was considering whether to ban political threads or not.

The main issue with OT, and the reason why it will continue to attract immature children, is that nothing of any substance can be talked about in OT anymore. We can't post news articles as those threads tend to get locked quite quickly. We can't talk about anything political, which encompasses most serious topics. When nothing of substance can be discussed, it breeds an environment that is perfect for immature, pubescent kids with nothing better to do than to troll on the internet. Anyone with half a brain in their head will go to OT less and less (and that's been painfully obvious over the last 5 years, where OT has basically already died due to all the intelligent posters leaving and not returning), but people like Yao and doink the clown will feel right at home as their stupid one word replies, and their "cumpare" jokes that they get off on, are a riot. OT is nothing but a bunch of children following each other around posting as much crap as they possibly can.

What needs to happen is OT needs to be opened right up. Any subject should be permitted to be talked about. It would breed serious, intelligent discussion and would cause intelligent, serious posters to come back to OT. Over time, the kids would feel out of place as their cumpare jokes won't get the same feedback it used to, and they'll move on.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1326 upvotes
geokilla wrote:
May 30th, 2012 1:38 am
Why didn't you ban them then? And by ban I mean permanent bans. I brought it up with oranr before and he said he'd look into it. No action seems to have been taken place publicly. There's some repeat offenders who gets temporary banned every couple months. Sure they can get around it by using different e-mail addresses and usernames, but that's what IP tracking is for. At the very least, it narrows down and lets you determine who it might be.

In OT, good threads were getting locked, and threads that should be getting locked were not getting locked for the longest time. I've reported countless posts every so often, but none of them seem to get reviewed either... Sometimes it's obvious there were attacks going on so I report them. Then couple hours ago, thread is still alive and continues to get worse.

And as a long time member, I've stated it before and I'll state it again. Some of the mods are power trippy and definitely should have their status revoked. I won't mention who, but again, it's probably quite obvious.

I assume you've identified these mods with oranr ?

And ( without naming names ) when you say " some " mods should be dumped ....exactly how many mods are you referring to ?

And just so I'm clear, what do you mean when you say some mods are ' allegedly '..." power-tripping " ? " Power-tripping " in what way ......cause I don't see it ?
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15992 posts
374 upvotes
I will support Oranr on this one. He's doing this with good intentions. I hope we get certain threads moved back though.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9353 posts
509 upvotes
Markham
Shaner wrote:
May 30th, 2012 7:48 am
What needs to happen is OT needs to be opened right up. Any subject should be permitted to be talked about. It would breed serious, intelligent discussion and would cause intelligent, serious posters to come back to OT. Over time, the kids would feel out of place as their cumpare jokes won't get the same feedback it used to, and they'll move on.

I agree with Shaner, any sort of serious discussion gets shut down in the past couple of years with the carte blanche enforcement, it just encourages this kind of behaviour.

I mean when you limit all these topics, what else are you supposed to talk about?
:lol:
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
12379 posts
2007 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
poedua wrote:
May 30th, 2012 7:58 am
I assume you've identified these mods with oranr ?

And ( without naming names ) when you say " some " mods should be dumped ....exactly how many mods are you referring to ?

And just so I'm clear, what do you mean when you say some mods are ' allegedly '..." power-tripping " ? " Power-tripping " in what way ......cause I don't see it ?

Of course I have. That's the number one thing he asks you to do. I've even PMed said mod before but got ignored.
Apr 30, 2012
195 posts
5 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
so glad that the mods are actualy enforcing the new rules and locking threads and handing out bans to some of the trolly problem casuers :) WAY TO GO!

and lol @ zz00ter for starting a thread with "politics" in the title the day after politics is banned... ha ha ha...
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11533 posts
1447 upvotes
mockingjay404 wrote:
May 30th, 2012 9:57 am
so glad that the mods are actualy enforcing the new rules and locking threads and handing out bans to some of the trolly problem casuers :) WAY TO GO!

and lol @ zz00ter for starting a thread with "politics" in the title the day after politics is banned... ha ha ha...

+1. ot needs to get rid of mbg threads too
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1326 upvotes
geokilla wrote:
May 30th, 2012 9:47 am
Of course I have. That's the number one thing he asks you to do.
And what came of your PM to oranr on this issue?
geokilla wrote:
I've even PMed said mod
O.K...so it's just 1 mod...not " some " mods ......you have an issue with.
geokilla wrote:
before but got ignored.
Not knowing what you said in your PM to the mod.....I can't comment ...but perhaps the mod simply felt your PM didn't warrant a reply.
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1326 upvotes
Hairball wrote:
May 30th, 2012 9:36 am
I agree with Shaner, any sort of serious discussion gets shut down in the past couple of years with the carte blanche enforcement, it just encourages this kind of behaviour.

I mean when you limit all these topics, what else are you supposed to talk about?

As an example, all the threads that remained in OT ( before the purge) after you remove any political / religious threads ...in other words, take out the political / religious threads and there is still TONS of stuff to talk about. :D
TRAIN HARD !!!!