Site Comments & Suggestions

Locked: [Merged] What the hell happened to Off Topic - May 29 @ 11:53am

  • Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2012 4:49 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
2953 posts
85 upvotes
East York
Hairball wrote:
May 30th, 2012 9:36 am
I agree with Shaner, any sort of serious discussion gets shut down in the past couple of years with the carte blanche enforcement, it just encourages this kind of behaviour.

I mean when you limit all these topics, what else are you supposed to talk about?


This is funny, coming from a guy that runs a forum/chatroom that is full of posts that have sexual innuendo's and people gossiping that certain people should "hook up" amongst other things

There'd be plenty of things to talk about if people were willing to actually have a discussion instead of running away to other forums just because things don't go there way. Or if people actually kept a level head and discussed things logically and were willing to accept other peoples point of views instead of labeling them a "troll"

Off topic is the forum that should cover all the topics/issues in life that aren't already covered by existing boards.

The reason off topic won't down the drain is because of

a) the trolls

but a big part is

b) people throwing hissy fits about whats "mod-able" all the time. These same people started trolling themselves which then added to the problem.

Ive seen people planning on how they're going to troll on a given day, and what type of "troll" topic they should post.....

As bad as these mods that "pick" on people might be- those people are worse, and immature...

Any forum that exists will contain a level of bias, yours does HB, it just seems that since RFD is a bigger site that when the Admins/mods disagree with someone it's a big issue...

Plus, people take this site way too seriously, it's a DEALS site first, anything else is bonus, and if people don't like it, their not being forced to come.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
81 upvotes
Drew87 wrote:
May 30th, 2012 11:29 am
Plus, people take this site way too seriously, it's a DEALS site first, anything else is bonus, and if people don't like it, their not being forced to come.

This times infinity. I love the part where they bust out the Charter :D
vero95 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 11:42 am
LOL what does project management have to do with project being over budget?
vero95 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2013 12:34 pm
$5c for a plastic bag >= $30 for a jug of milk
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
2953 posts
85 upvotes
East York
flashy_mcflash wrote:
May 30th, 2012 11:51 am
This times infinity. I love the part where they bust out the Charter :D

Seriously - this site is owned by the YPC - they can run it anyway they want. It's hilarious that people waste there time complaining about issues in my opinion that don't matter....

It's like the users are trying to tell the mods/YPC how to run their own business as if this site isn't functioning well enough.....

If the people that complained really wanted to make an impact they would stop coming here all together...
Banned
Feb 26, 2012
231 posts
6 upvotes
NORTH YORK
since youre doing a cleanup, id be nice to remove *** from mod list :) his tyrannical moddage would do better elsewhere
It seems to be getting harder.. distinguishing reality from the illusions people make for us, or the ones we make for ourselves.
I don't know. Maybe that's part of the plan, to make me think I'm crazy....... it's working.

and before you know it, crazy becomes normal..
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 25, 2011
9028 posts
14169 upvotes
I will air an annoyance of mine.

I am tired of reading kicks at YPG. Not the investment concerns, but the ones that seem to be just a kick at employees. Change is an adjustment, I understand that. And sometimes adjustment involves venting upset. But often it just reads like meanness for the purpose of being mean.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8002 posts
1415 upvotes
Toronto
I see absolutely no improvement in the quality of Off Topic due to this change.

Dating multiple people at the same time
Generation Fat
Why is everyone getting married???
What is wrong with some people
Speed Dating Tonight!

I still don't see how archiving the old forum and ruling the new forum with an iron fist will change anything, if the above topics are *still* the norm for off topic.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
2953 posts
85 upvotes
East York
appleb wrote:
May 30th, 2012 1:23 pm
I see absolutely no improvement in the quality of Off Topic due to this change.

Dating multiple people at the same time
Generation Fat
Why is everyone getting married???
What is wrong with some people
Speed Dating Tonight!

I still don't see how archiving the old forum and ruling the new forum with an iron fist will change anything, if the above topics are *still* the norm for off topic.

What do you expect to see in Off topic? World class discussions? It's the f'n internet- you're going to see mindless topics, if you want to read something with high value, read a book or visit another site...I don't mean to be offensive but it's my point of view.....

I've never seen a "discussion" on RFD that has been worth the amount of pages or replies a thread has gotten.....It's funny because people claim to went to have "healthy discussions" but every topic I've ever been to regardless on the topic has always boiled down to a mentality similiar to the following

" I think ___ _____ ( complete the sentence with ANYTHING ) "
" Well you're wrong, here's ONE link by a person that's as biased as I am and posts views that are smiliar to mine"

" well, here's a LINK that proves that link is wrong "

" You're an idiot "

" You're a troll!!!!"

" WHERE ARE THE MODS?! "

There aren't "discussions" on RFD, it's just a bunch of people shoving their opinions and views on to other people without either side giving in....
Jr. Member
User avatar
Apr 30, 2012
195 posts
5 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
appleb wrote:
May 30th, 2012 1:23 pm
I still don't see how archiving the old forum and ruling the new forum with an iron fist will change anything, if the above topics are *still* the norm for off topic.

kind of a dumb complaint. if you are not satisfied with the level of discouse, why not attempt to raise it by starting a "brainy" topic (?).

anyways i personally do see an improvement from the "no politics threads" rule.

because for the month of May, 90% of those threads were started by the same guy. definitely a person with an agenda - he or she should probably find a political blog then, rather than a deal forum
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 25, 2011
9028 posts
14169 upvotes
Drew87 wrote:
May 30th, 2012 1:33 pm

I've never seen a "discussion" on RFD that has been worth the amount of pages or replies a thread has gotten.....It's funny because people claim to went to have "healthy discussions" but every topic I've ever been to regardless on the topic has always boiled down to a mentality similiar to the following

" I think ___ _____ ( complete the sentence with ANYTHING ) "
" Well you're wrong, here's ONE link by a person that's as biased as I am and posts views that are smiliar to mine"

" well, here's a LINK that proves that link is wrong "

" You're an idiot "

" You're a troll!!!!"

" WHERE ARE THE MODS?! "

There aren't "discussions" on RFD, it's just a bunch of people shoving their opinions and views on to other people without either side giving in....
Yes, for many that does seem to be an applicable template. But not for all. Some do seem to take comments that are not in agreement with theirs as a challenge to their person. When I first joined I found this to be so confusing and annoying. So many of the users seemed so touchy, like everything was a fight. Then I was surprised to discover that sometimes those people are fun to talk to in part because they challenge me to ignore the emotions/rudeness and not respond in kind.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
81 upvotes
There's loads and loads of serious discussions outside OT, you know. Literally hundreds of threads.
vero95 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 11:42 am
LOL what does project management have to do with project being over budget?
vero95 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2013 12:34 pm
$5c for a plastic bag >= $30 for a jug of milk
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 1, 2008
12794 posts
2244 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
poedua wrote:
May 30th, 2012 11:19 am
And what came of your PM to oranr on this issue?

He said he'll take a look, as he always does. He did say there were changes to how moderators should act and stuff iirc. And I'd just like to add in that I did let oranr know of some of my concerns that I have with certain members as well.
poedua wrote:
May 30th, 2012 11:19 am
O.K...so it's just 1 mod...not " some " mods ......you have an issue with.

Well that's cus said mod directly affected me. I'm not going to PM every single mod that I have an issue with.
ishfish wrote:
May 30th, 2012 12:46 pm
I will air an annoyance of mine.

I am tired of reading kicks at YPG. Not the investment concerns, but the ones that seem to be just a kick at employees. Change is an adjustment, I understand that. And sometimes adjustment involves venting upset. But often it just reads like meanness for the purpose of being mean.

Employees as in moderators? Or Yellow Pages employees that work behind the scenes? Cus if you're talking about the latter... I haven't seen any of that going on.
Drew87 wrote:
May 30th, 2012 11:29 am
This is funny, coming from a guy that runs a forum/chatroom that is full of posts that have sexual innuendo's and people gossiping that certain people should "hook up" amongst other things

There'd be plenty of things to talk about if people were willing to actually have a discussion instead of running away to other forums just because things don't go there way. Or if people actually kept a level head and discussed things logically and were willing to accept other peoples point of views instead of labeling them a "troll"

Off topic is the forum that should cover all the topics/issues in life that aren't already covered by existing boards.

The reason off topic won't down the drain is because of

a) the trolls

but a big part is

b) people throwing hissy fits about whats "mod-able" all the time. These same people started trolling themselves which then added to the problem.

Ive seen people planning on how they're going to troll on a given day, and what type of "troll" topic they should post.....

As bad as these mods that "pick" on people might be- those people are worse, and immature...

Any forum that exists will contain a level of bias, yours does HB, it just seems that since RFD is a bigger site that when the Admins/mods disagree with someone it's a big issue...

Plus, people take this site way too seriously, it's a DEALS site first, anything else is bonus, and if people don't like it, their not being forced to come.

This is funny, coming from a guy who spammed that forum posting the exact same kinda stuff you're complaining about.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 8, 2007
23345 posts
620 upvotes
Toronto
appleb wrote:
May 30th, 2012 1:23 pm
I see absolutely no improvement in the quality of Off Topic due to this change.

Dating multiple people at the same time
Generation Fat
Why is everyone getting married???
What is wrong with some people
Speed Dating Tonight!

I still don't see how archiving the old forum and ruling the new forum with an iron fist will change anything, if the above topics are *still* the norm for off topic.

Is this why my thread was locked? That and the troll CSK's Dad posting? Why not just delete that post along with the temp ban?

I'm awaiting my matches.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
2953 posts
85 upvotes
East York
geokilla wrote:
May 30th, 2012 2:42 pm
He said he'll take a look, as he always does. He did say there were changes to how moderators should act and stuff iirc. And I'd just like to add in that I did let oranr know of some of my concerns that I have with certain members as well.



Well that's cus said mod directly affected me. I'm not going to PM every single mod that I have an issue with.



Employees as in moderators? Or Yellow Pages employees that work behind the scenes? Cus if you're talking about the latter... I haven't seen any of that going on.



This is funny, coming from a guy who spammed that forum posting the exact same kinda stuff you're complaining about.
I did that because I was encouraged to by the Moderators of that site because they were so desperate to try and raise money and to make the site appear active.....It was part of the "be nice, and let's post a lot so we can steal the RFD members" mentality..I'm not sure if it still exists because I haven't been there in a while....Once I realized how stupid it was I stopped, I haven't been there or to the chat in over a month so yeah, I don't get what your point is? I learned from my idiotic behavior and stopped, What's your excuse? You keep complaining and harassing the mods by constantly complaining about things that don't really matter in the real world...

Oh and geo, I have nothing against you but don't be defensive of that forum when people in that forum have criticized and made fun of you numerous times about how you act in terms of RFD and you're PM'ing of the mods..

You have every right to complain but honestly just because you think something is an issue doesn't mean it is, think about it that way....Anyways - I don't want to derail this thread, if you have a problem with me geo, PM me.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 23, 2010
2505 posts
571 upvotes
Psubs wrote:
May 30th, 2012 2:57 pm
Is this why my thread was locked? That and the troll CSK's Dad posting? Why not just delete that post along with the temp ban?

I'm awaiting my matches.
It was locked due to being offensive. The amount of degrading posts about woman was just mind blowing. That type of behaviour will no longer be tolerated on this site.
For all community related matters, please PM TomRFD
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 2, 2009
14093 posts
576 upvotes
Toronto
Psubs wrote:
May 30th, 2012 2:57 pm
Is this why my thread was locked? That and the troll CSK's Dad posting? Why not just delete that post along with the temp ban?

I'm awaiting my matches.

No, I'm pretty sure it's things like the objectification of women and using the word P**** in a "less than polite" manner (not sure how else to put it) that got your thread locked. The CSK'sDad troll account likely had very little part in it, if at all.

Top