None
[OP]
Banned
Apr 13, 2009
3874 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto

[Merged] "Wheels" from Degrassi died 5 years ago

I guess he wasn't important. I loved that show. I had a woody for Spike, even though she was knocked up in the show.

http://www.toronto.com/article/713932?bn=1
Feb 16, 2012
Degrassi fans are mourning the death of Neil Hope, who played the character Derek “Wheels” Wheeler on the long-running show, as the news broke Thursday the teen star had died in 2007.

Reports suggest Hope died at age 35 on Nov. 25, 2007, of natural causes in Hamilton. His death was only made public today.
30 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7054 posts
682 upvotes
GTA
I loved Degrassi Junior High/Degrassi High and liked Joey Jeremiah back then.

I think it is unusual for a 35 year old to die of 'natural causes'.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
2526 posts
59 upvotes
Wow, it's a long time after his death. Sad news, Degrassi was awesome.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7054 posts
682 upvotes
GTA
I think this may not have been announced earlier as it is possible his family didn't know. I just did a quick google search and found a facebook page. Some of his family members had posted on it and it appeared they did not know where he was. On January 12, 2012, his sister-in-law posted advising they had confirmed he had passed away in 2007.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/90204120190/

It would appear he didn't have a good home life growing up:

http://www.tvrage.com/person/id-28957/Neil+Hope
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2005
2182 posts
134 upvotes
You know your star had faded when people don't realize you've gone, eh? Good show though.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
295 upvotes
Toronto
Ummm link to said report?
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2009
2087 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
Natural causes at age 35?!

Wow.... that's something to be afraid of.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
2526 posts
59 upvotes
I have a feeling it had to do with alcoholism. All the newspapers have picked up this story.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3373 posts
821 upvotes
Ottawa
Definitely due to alcoholism, he was drinking heavily starting at the age of 14-15. It's a shame, in the show, they showed how drinking and driving can tear apart a family but yet, this happens. Last I read he was working at a Pizza Pizza in Hamilton and when someone recognized him asking to take a picture, he would get really mad. Not sure if you guys remember the Degrassi Reunion Special from 1999-2000. When the host asked Joey (Pat) where was wheels, everyone was dead silent. It's as if they already know the stage of life he's in and figured not to mention it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2012/ ... -obit.html
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1714 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
robster77 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2012 1:03 pm
You know your star had faded when people don't realize you've gone, eh? Good show though.

It was probably reported on CHCH News at the time - but nobody watches CHCH anymore, especially since they changed their format.

I can't even pick up their digital OTA signal with my TV, and I'm only about 50 miles away in Niagara. :-0 CBC and most Buffalo channels come in strong. (No CTV or CITY either, disappointingly enough).
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7054 posts
682 upvotes
GTA
Sad story. The most recent Toronto Star article confirms his family only recently found out about his death as they had lost contact with him:

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/ar ... month?bn=1

But Boulard said when Hope’s brother Danny and his wife, Tracy, began hearing rumours of his death two or three years ago, they brushed it off.

Hope was a very private man, not one to keep up daily or even monthly contact, Boulard said — “That was Neil.”

But two years went by and no one had heard from him.

“That’s when we started to worry,” she said.

Boulard said she lost touch with Hope in 2002, but remained in contact with his family through Facebook.

When they hadn’t heard from Hope, they called Boulard. Finally, they contacted Hamilton Police.

Boulard said police told Hope’s family they had record of someone who had died, but the names and birth date didn’t match up with Hope’s.

She said the family clung to that, hoping it wasn’t him.

But finally, in January of this year, Boulard said police confirmed that Hope had died of “natural causes” in November 2007 at the age of 35.

Hope was buried in March 2008. The location is being kept private, Boulard said.
May 20, 2009
478 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Mullets at half mast tomorrow.

All joking aside, he was a talented child actor. Neil and the characters he played (Griff on Kids of Degrassi St and Wheels) all led such tragic lives. It's a shame that life imitated art for this guy in such a sad way.
× < >