Home & Garden

[Merged] Windows/Doors

[OP]
Sep 7, 2008
797 posts
31 upvotes
GTA

[Merged] Windows/Doors

If anyone has any questions about windows I'll be more than happy to answer all your questions with out any biases. I spent 15 years in the industry. Please feel free
4963 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3105 posts
69 upvotes
Hi Window guy,

I'm planning to put in some new windows (particularly because there is that rebate from the government). What would be a reasonable installation cost to put in 10 windows in Toronto roughly 44"x44".

I went to home depot yesterday and got a quote of around $320/window for their Farly Vinyl double hung window (material only). I have the guy coming in tomorrow to provide a quote and wanted to get some numbers for some comparison. I also have another guy (olympia windows) coming in to provide a quote.

TIA :)
[OP]
Sep 7, 2008
797 posts
31 upvotes
GTA
It sounds like you are interested in buying a generic brand of windows that are usually low on quality and high on marketing. Farley and Window City are two good examples of such a window. If you are getting those windows, the competition between dealers and installers specializing in installation of them is huge. You can get them installed from about $100 in retrofit and $150 Brick to Brick, but installers that charge that kind of money work out of their pick up trucks. If i can tell you the truth you should buy windows from a company that manufactures and installs their own product, that way you will avoid unnecessary headaches if warranty work will be required.

Remember everything is great untill it breaks down, you dont want to chase a contractor down the street to fix the window for you, he will blame the factory and a factory will blame him............ been there seen it all.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
11205 posts
1423 upvotes
Windowguy,
Your thoughts on double vs. triple glazed windows for the GTA area?
Tx
[OP]
Sep 7, 2008
797 posts
31 upvotes
GTA
TRIPLE is a waste of money............ !!!!!!!!!!!! its not only that increses the weight of the sealed unit it rips it apart. Two chambers of gass inside, so both panes are beeing torn apart from the spacer bar.

originally when sealed units started to be manufactured back in 60`s its life expectancy was about 35 years. The lowe showed up and inert gasses and now their life span is about 20 years. Triple you just reduced it by another 5 years ( no matter what anybody says). In last couple of years there was two companies in GTA that had introduced triple glazing as a free upgrade, aren`t they sorry now, failure rate is large, extra strain on window hardware, pointless !!!!

if you are looking to increase energy performance and insulation look at windows that incorporate Heat Mirror technology in them, those are the systems worth looking at it.

Triple pane glass is only good for better sound insulation than double but make sure that innex spacer is used.
Aug 4, 2003
8 posts
Hi,
Which window/door manufacturer/installer would you recommend servicing the Toronto area. I'm looking for solid poplar window/door frames (ie similar to styles ecoitaly in Toronto sells). Thanks for any recommendations.
[OP]
Sep 7, 2008
797 posts
31 upvotes
GTA
Have you contacted Pella windows, Jeld-wen, Marvin Windows.

Out of those three I personally would choose Marvin Windows without a hesitation.

Make sure that you get wooden windows with very little maintenance couse it can get very expensive in a short period of time.
Nov 2, 2005
384 posts
8 upvotes
I have a guy coming tomorrow evening to inspect and quote cost for 3 replacment windows. What types should I be looking for in terms of quality and heat-loss prevention for the cold months. My old rotting wooden framed windows cost me a bundle on Heating over the last few yrs. Also, does GTAwindows have a good reputation. Whats your take on them if any?
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15155 posts
1581 upvotes
How much per sq foot is it to get good quality security film installed? Does it work like advertised?
[OP]
Sep 7, 2008
797 posts
31 upvotes
GTA
lets start with the security film,
the good film will cost you around $20 including install. Yes it works, look into 3M they are the best.

And in the response to good quality window, definately look into a company that sells windows with soft coat lowe and low air leakage, as those windows have the highest R value and close to none in drafts coming in. In general casement windows are the best, just because of their construction the stronger the wind the better the seal around them, and a company that gets crappy ratings on them should not be in business couse they dont know what they are doing.

GTA Windows another dealer as 100`s others, they have their good and bad days.

PS. because i am in the industry i will not talk bad about any company, i would not want to come across as biases person. However i can give couople of links to companies that are worth checking as they are known for good quality windows;

www.balticwindows.com
www.atlantic-mfg.com
www.brockwindows.com (but only north star, they deal with a low end window as well, make sure they specify which line they are quoting for you)

Good luck with your projects.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1970 upvotes
You wouldn't happen to be the guy from Baltic windows that responded to a customer complaint posted here by offering to send the customer's personal information to other RFDers???
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
Out of Brock and Marvin, who would you go with? Reasons why?
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Jan 9, 2007
216 posts
10 upvotes
Ontario
Hey windowguy

I recently had Seymour windows installed. Would you consider them to be a better quality type of window?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25453 posts
2678 upvotes
Ottawa
B Prime wrote:
Sep 10th, 2008 9:41 am
Hey windowguy

I recently had Seymour windows installed. Would you consider them to be a better quality type of window?
Why agonize over that. What can you do if the answer is bad? The job is already done.
Jan 9, 2007
216 posts
10 upvotes
Ontario
Pete_Coach wrote:
Sep 10th, 2008 9:51 am
Why agonize over that. What can you do if the answer is bad? The job is already done.
I'm not going to agonize over it. I just wanted a person with knowledge to give there opinion. I know of 3 window dealers in my city that use Seymour and apparently lots of local contractors do as well.

I am just looking for an outside opinion as stated.
× < >