Home & Garden

[Merged] Windows/Doors

Feb 23, 2009
56 posts
16 upvotes
GTA
jbiz45 wrote:
Jun 30th, 2010 10:49 pm
Landmark or Ducana windows are they any good?
Hi jbiz45,

I haven't heard much about Landmark, but from what I can find on the Internet they seem to be your average company. On the Energy Star Canada web page they have just a few windows listed. The windows that they have listed do show good numbers, but anyone showing windows with only hard coat low e, no grilles and mainly triple glazed windows will also get these or better numbers. Their web page talks about a lot of thing, but these are mainly generic things that any average window company will do eg: triple seals, welded sash, multi point locking etc. They also say that they have an exclusive integrated crank, this is the Truth Maxim that anyone can use.

As to Ducana, I do know a fair amount about them. They use the Rehau extrusions. The vinyl is as good as it gets, the problem with it is in the design of the profiles, and the way Ducana builds it. Most if the things that are used as selling features, foam filling of the chambers etc, are done to be unique so there is a selling feature. Unfortunately there are a few problems with this. First of all foam filling of the chambers is not recommended by the extruder of the vinyl, also foam filling of a multi chamber window will actually slightly decrease the insulation value of the frame and sash, not increase it. They push triple glazing, warranty, $ 100 referral's, energy star etc. With all of this why do they only list 8 windows on Energy Star and they all use hard coat low e, triple glass, and krypton filled units. This will give some good numbers to advertise but doesn't reflect what most people buy. For numbers see North Star windows, with hard coat low e, triple glazed, and krypton filled these numbers are higher than Duncana's. What about the people who want grilles, don't need or want triple glass or krypton fill due to it's very long return on investment. Ducana doesn't seem to cater to these customers.

Being in the Kitchener area maybe try a Strassburger dealer, or if you like the Rehau vinyl find a Euro Vinyl dealer, they build it better than any other of Rehau's dealers. If you are looking for higher Energy Star numbers try a North Star dealer.

From what I know about Ducana, and what I can see with Landmark you have found 2 companies that offer a lot of sizzle, but very little steak.
Mar 11, 2004
656 posts
5 upvotes
I bought a resale house as an investment property and the windows are ill-fitting. Some of them do not close tightly (security issues) and they are leaky. The previous owner left the country.

Is there anyone in Toronto who you can recommend to repair these windows without replacing them. I am hoping they can be repaired rather than going through the huge expense of replacing them.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
15237 posts
529 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Looking at replacing my living room windows. Had one company come in so far.

The measurements are 95(1/8) by 53(3/8).
The windows will be 1/4 - 1/2 - 1/4
2 single hung and 1 picture.

The house is 75 years old and doesn't have insulation so I'm thinking I will really only need a medium grade window. I do plan on moving out within the next 5 years.

The company that came to my house quoted me on a Acan window and it was $836 for the windows and 360 for labour.

A few questions. What is the quality of an Acan window?
Am I to assume this is the typical price I should expect for a medium grade window of this size?
HEATWARE (21 - 0) - evilbaby
Aug 13, 2009
45 posts
St.Catharines
Evil Baby the quote you got is a average price. I dont know much about acan, but I can tell you that I know someone who can install Strassburger or Baltic or Oran for the same price or maybe even a bit cheaper.
Being a rental you still want something that is strong a will hold up to the abuse. A cheap window will not last long.
Aug 13, 2009
45 posts
St.Catharines
Sorry i got mixed up the rental house was the previous post.
Jul 6, 2010
98 posts
5 upvotes
North Bay,Ontario
I need new large (10ft wide x 5fth) vinyl windows that can withstand high winds and driving rain for a southwest exposure in northern ontario...looking at fixed and casement style with exterior grills. So far I am considering Seymour, Ostaco and Armor(sold by Northwood Windows). Can anyone advise as to which window would be my best bet and comment on my choices? I am open to other options too.Choosing windows is so overwhelming!
Also, could someone recommend a great sliding door for the same spot?
In an earlier post, I read someone's opinion,.... I think it was 'Windowguy', ...that Seymour's renovation window was perhaps better than their new construction window.Did I read that right? and if so, can someone tell me the reasons?
Oct 1, 2008
387 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Go with the Ostaco window out of those three choices. They also have PH Tech Patio Doors that are very good.
Jul 6, 2010
98 posts
5 upvotes
North Bay,Ontario
Thank you! I have been reading these posts for 2 days now and am amazed by the info and generosity of those in the know. I have also been researching windows/doors for a long time, trying to make my way through all the guk on my own....this is a huge help. Ostaco is my favorite so far.The Ostaco patio door 7000, seems to be a good one....do you know how it compares to Standard Door's Renaissance?
Mar 27, 2007
17 posts
I need to replace an existing window that is 60" wide by 50" high. I am looking at a double casement window. The total frame would be 7" for the centre bar according to the current quote. Is this an industry standard or is it possible to get a smaller centre bar? I am trying to minimize the frame size and maximize the glass. Thanks for any responses!
Feb 23, 2009
56 posts
16 upvotes
GTA
smartcar8 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2010 11:02 am
I need to replace an existing window that is 60" wide by 50" high. I am looking at a double casement window. The total frame would be 7" for the centre bar according to the current quote. Is this an industry standard or is it possible to get a smaller centre bar? I am trying to minimize the frame size and maximize the glass. Thanks for any responses!
A 7" distance from glass to glass is pretty standard, plus minus a quarter inch. There are a few companies with a narrower spacing but these are normally lower quality windows and a window of this width will be nothing but trouble in the long run.

Look at it this way. There is no secret formula that would allow any company to be able to use a narrower spacing, without giving up the required strength. So to offer a narrower spacing a company would have to give up strength thus make their maximum width narrower, and you wouldn't be able to make a 60" wide casement in 2 sections.
Oct 3, 2008
73 posts
2 upvotes
I agree that you would probably have to give up strength since most window manufacturers use a 3.25" window frame, look at the window city 400 series I believe it's called heritage maximum and they use a thinner looking frame without the compromise
Jul 12, 2010
4 posts
Scarborough
I am trying to replace all windows at my house.

Has anyone heard of Casa Bella Windows Inc.? Are their products and services good?

Can someone recommend some good installer (brick to brick) near East end of Toronto?
Dec 10, 2008
78 posts
8 upvotes
Hamilton
windowexpert wrote:
Jul 12th, 2010 8:28 pm
I agree that you would probably have to give up strength since most window manufacturers use a 3.25" window frame, look at the window city 400 series I believe it's called heritage maximum and they use a thinner looking frame without the compromise
The Window City 4 1/2" frame is the basically the same window as the 3 1/4" window. The only difference is that the frame has an 1 1/4" perimeter on the exterior making the window 4 1/2" deep. This doesn't make the window any stronger as the sash is still the same dimensions. Also Window City is not one of the better windows, I would stay away from it.

Unfortunately we will have to live with an approx 7" mullion on vinyl casement windows, as to make a window much slimmer just makes them to weak and all you get is a lower quality window.
Mar 6, 2007
950 posts
59 upvotes
Hi, I have to replace 4 of the 5 windows in my house. The windows are just basic storm windows and I'm fairly sure they will be very cold this winter.

THere's a LOT of material to read on here, and, sadly, I don't think I have time to read it all. My house is east-west facing, so there's a lot of sun coming in through the windows all day. So something that doesn't have much solar gain (i.e. soft coat, if I recall from reading some of the posts here) is better.

I have three west facing windows - rough openings are 62" W x 36" H (x2 of these) and one 50" W x 36" H (one of these). And the kitchen window which faces north, and about 10 ft from my neighbor (so no direct sun ever goes into this window). 36"x36".

Budget is a bit tight, but I'd like to get energy-star rated windows. One of my friends suggested Window City, but I've seen other posts here that disparages them. Any other suggestions on where I can buy the windows and install them as a DIY project (not by me though).

Thanks!
Mar 27, 2007
17 posts
When you sign a contract and make a deposit to have windows installed - is the final price fixed at the contract price? Or can something occur to increase the price, for example because the installation takes longer than estimated or other variable?

Thanks for any replies!
× < >