Home & Garden

[Merged] Windows/Doors

May 11, 2011
465 posts
120 upvotes
Highway 427 and The …
Phil Lewin - GEM Windows - you know the rest.

Don't get someone from automotive. Get Convenience Group - 416-233-6900

This is what they do, using 3m films designed for the purpose. they may bring a small contractor in if it is too small for them to do directly.

Phil
TripleHelix wrote: Try the automotive forum. Not sure you will find the answer here.
Jul 20, 2017
568 posts
125 upvotes
Jerico wrote: What you are looking for is a premium door at a budget price.

First, you will need tempered glass for the transom. Any glass shop will sell you the glass, custom size, that you can fit into a frame. They will also sell you the foam to go around the window as you set it into the frame so it’s not tight to the wood frame and doesn’t explode in July (not spray foam, but a foam cord almost like packing peanuts)

As for the door itself, you will have a difficult time finding fibreglass for cheap. You can buy a box store door off the shelf, but be forewarned these are at that price point for a reason. You can check the restore, but the ones near me are out to lunch on their pricing often with doors at 80-90% of retail.
went to HD, and finally I found a helpful person. It seems the Masonite or Doorplex software allows to build the door I need. It came out roughly at $1550 ( includes the present 15% off promotion). This is a fibreglass door primed only, no brickmold and just some privacy glass.
Any idea of other co's that can build something similar?
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Sebastian6300 wrote: went to HD, and finally I found a helpful person. It seems the Masonite or Doorplex software allows to build the door I need. It came out roughly at $1550 ( includes the present 15% off promotion). This is a fibreglass door primed only, no brickmold and just some privacy glass.
Any idea of other co's that can build something similar?
All box stores can do exactly that for you. They all have similar software.

Primed fibreglass is hot death to paint. Its not like steel. It will NEVER look right.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Sebastian6300 wrote:
-how could I get a double pane glass, maybe even with a frame made? Then I can just put that in the transom frame...
-what do you think of Stanley doors? HD has some, they seem more expensive then the other brands..seen some really nice designs
Again, a glass shop can make you a sealed unit. They might even set it in wood. But as soon as you ask someone to go that, you are getting away from DIY and might as well buy a properly framed and sized door. Also, be wary of jamb size. So many DIYers order jambs for 2x4s not 2x4s plus brick or siding and then you are messing around adding jamb extensions outside or it.

In all truth, while more money, the factory is WAY better at making this stuff to the exact specs of your house and then you just put it in. We order to fit, not order standard and make it fit. While its “just my time” putting it in, it will look better, perform better, and you wont be constantly cursing or adjusting it for years to come.
Jul 20, 2017
568 posts
125 upvotes
Jerico wrote: Again, a glass shop can make you a sealed unit. They might even set it in wood. But as soon as you ask someone to go that, you are getting away from DIY and might as well buy a properly framed and sized door. Also, be wary of jamb size. So many DIYers order jambs for 2x4s not 2x4s plus brick or siding and then you are messing around adding jamb extensions outside or it.

In all truth, while more money, the factory is WAY better at making this stuff to the exact specs of your house and then you just put it in. We order to fit, not order standard and make it fit. While its “just my time” putting it in, it will look better, perform better, and you wont be constantly cursing or adjusting it for years to come.
The HD was finally a quote. Most other people I talked to did not want to bother trying to give me something. do you agree with what was said above that fiberglass is not good for painting? Should I go steel?
I did have a quote installed for a steel door with transom for about 2700+ tax...maybe it was not that bad ( although did not mention who made the door..)

Can you suggest somebody who does this type of doors..
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Sebastian6300 wrote: The HD was finally a quote. Most other people I talked to did not want to bother trying to give me something. do you agree with what was said above that fiberglass is not good for painting? Should I go steel?
I did have a quote installed for a steel door with transom for about 2700+ tax...maybe it was not that bad ( although did not mention who made the door..)

Can you suggest somebody who does this type of doors..
Literally everyone does these doors. Any store that has doors will order you one to fit, any installer can get one and put it in. A standard size door is about 2% of our door install business. Everything is custom in some way. You can pay about 2500-12000 for this type of door.
Jul 20, 2017
568 posts
125 upvotes
Jerico wrote: Literally everyone does these doors. Any store that has doors will order you one to fit, any installer can get one and put it in. A standard size door is about 2% of our door install business. Everything is custom in some way. You can pay about 2500-12000 for this type of door.
we kind of settled on a modern look, I see very few real modern looking doors...
Here is a link from stanley:
http://stanleydoor.ca/wp-content/upload ... Reader.pdf
They don't even have a link to where to buy...
I just want a little vertical privacy glass closer to the hinge side..
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Sebastian6300 wrote: we kind of settled on a modern look, I see very few real modern looking doors...
Here is a link from stanley:
http://stanleydoor.ca/wp-content/upload ... Reader.pdf
They don't even have a link to where to buy...
I just want a little vertical privacy glass closer to the hinge side..
The ones worth buying are slabs made by Novatech then hung properly.
May 31, 2017
332 posts
88 upvotes
Jerico wrote:
The ones worth buying are slabs made by Novatech then hung properly.
I have a catalog I'm going through that has both the Novatech logo and the Dorplex Entry Systems logo at the front. And the inside only mentions Novatech.

What's the difference between the two companies? Or are they related?
Jun 7, 2010
317 posts
97 upvotes
@Sebastian6300 Have you looked into Dimension Doors ? I am looking at their doors to replace my front entry door.

Any feedback on Dimension doors?
Jul 20, 2017
568 posts
125 upvotes
breads wrote: I have a catalog I'm going through that has both the Novatech logo and the Dorplex Entry Systems logo at the front. And the inside only mentions Novatech.

Thanks a lot! Indeed Novatech catalog has some designs I like . Now question is where to get it...
One strange question: I see some doors with a narrow full length vertical glass. In all pictures the glass is on the knob side, but I would like to have it on the hinge side...Do you guys think this is possible?
The Doortech pictures look exactly like the HD ones...
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
breads wrote: I have a catalog I'm going through that has both the Novatech logo and the Dorplex Entry Systems logo at the front. And the inside only mentions Novatech.

Novatech makes the actual doors. Dorplex puts them in a frame. They are called “pre-hangers” in the industry. Most companies dont make their own steel doors.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Sebastian6300 wrote: Thanks a lot! Indeed Novatech catalog has some designs I like . Now question is where to get it...
One strange question: I see some doors with a narrow full length vertical glass. In all pictures the glass is on the knob side, but I would like to have it on the hinge side...Do you guys think this is possible?
The Doortech pictures look exactly like the HD ones...
Dorplex is available at Rona, Home Depot, Home Hardware... literally again, almost everywhere.
May 31, 2017
332 posts
88 upvotes
Jerico wrote: Novatech makes the actual doors. Dorplex puts them in a frame. They are called “pre-hangers” in the industry. Most companies dont make their own steel doors.
Thanks, Jerico!
May 31, 2017
332 posts
88 upvotes
Windows being done right now. One window has been removed, and now he's removing another one.

Earlier in the thread I saw that they should be going back "to the studs". It looks like there was some kind of wrap in there already (I think this was from before). Should they be removing this black wrap too, and start from bare studs? Or is this basically the same thing?
Images
  • upload.jpg
Oct 2, 2012
466 posts
348 upvotes
Ottawa
Dogpyle wrote: I'm getting some quotes for replacement windows and one of the guys was telling me that the GreenON rebate program is limited to a set budget and that once the budget is done, the program will end... have any of the windows pros here heard anything about this?

That's false. I called them (GreenON) a couple of weeks ago and they said there is no current expiry set to the program. I was trying to get assurance that the program wouldn't get cancelled with the next Prov gov but they couldn't give me anything in writing. I had a manage on the phone and he wasn't authorized to make that promise. I don't have an install date until Aug but I have an order paper trail from April. He said that should be enough to get grandfathered into the program since they couldn't just stop the program without some grace period.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
breads wrote: Windows being done right now. One window has been removed, and now he's removing another one.

Earlier in the thread I saw that they should be going back "to the studs". It looks like there was some kind of wrap in there already (I think this was from before). Should they be removing this black wrap too, and start from bare studs? Or is this basically the same thing?
The black wrap is compromised on that window and should be replaced. Best practice to always replace. Its a small thing and a small expense, but provides piece of mind.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Barn01 wrote: That's false. I called them (GreenON) a couple of weeks ago and they said there is no current expiry set to the program. I was trying to get assurance that the program wouldn't get cancelled with the next Prov gov but they couldn't give me anything in writing. I had a manage on the phone and he wasn't authorized to make that promise. I don't have an install date until Aug but I have an order paper trail from April. He said that should be enough to get grandfathered into the program since they couldn't just stop the program without some grace period.
There is a set pool of money set aside from previous carbon tax credits and once that runs out they need to either refill it, or cancel the program.

I’m increasingly of the mind that no matter WHO wins it will be a minority government and the cap & trade program wont go away overnight. That’s what is funding the program. I am also 99% confident there will be a grandfather approach, the question is, for how long? If you have paid and ordered you should be fine. But those guys in Ottawa who were getting 4-5 month install dates a month ago might be in some trouble. i could see them saying “This is the last week, all installs must be done by 9 weeks from now” and there being a LOT of trouble.
Oct 2, 2012
466 posts
348 upvotes
Ottawa
Jerico wrote: There is a set pool of money set aside from previous carbon tax credits and once that runs out they need to either refill it, or cancel the program.

I’m increasingly of the mind that no matter WHO wins it will be a minority government and the cap & trade program wont go away overnight. That’s what is funding the program. I am also 99% confident there will be a grandfather approach, the question is, for how long? If you have paid and ordered you should be fine. But those guys in Ottawa who were getting 4-5 month install dates a month ago might be in some trouble. i could see them saying “This is the last week, all installs must be done by 9 weeks from now” and there being a LOT of trouble.
I'm in Ottawa with a 12-15wk install date from Verdun. Hence why I called GreenON. Both GreenON and Verdun tried to assure me that I would be rebated since my deposit is paid but without something in writing I hate taking someone's word for it. Mind you I'm past the point of no return so now I wait with fingers crossed.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)