Home & Garden

[Merged] Windows/Doors

Apr 21, 2016
70 posts
20 upvotes
GTA
If life were so easy..................

Lot's of factors go into the choice between dual and triple. Off the cuff without knowing all the details I would say it sounds a tad high.
freed1b wrote:
Dec 10th, 2016 11:29 pm
Quick to the knowledgeable -
Is an 18% increase (~$3000) in the overall cost of replacing windows in a 3300 sqft home (main and top floor - no doors) a reasonable amount for going from a double pain to a triple pain glass - and is it worth doing so. PS the windows are from one of the reputable places mentioned in this thread.

Thanks
Oct 6, 2014
100 posts
29 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Some manufacturers are using 7/8 over all thickness glass units with triple glass. Without going to deep (there is enough information about this in this thread), it does have more disadvantage than advantage.
The only way triple is useful if it 1"3/8 over all thickness. By far not every manufacturer have that. And of course they'll tell you opposite.
Because this glass unit is very heavy, some manufacturers Installing fiberglass or steel reinforcement inside the profile. If that the case$3000 it a reasonable price.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2683 posts
694 upvotes
Paris
18% is VERY reasonable. I would have said 25% for decent triple pane. HOWEVER look hard at the higher end double pane. Often the R-value of triple is 6.1ish and the r-value of high end double is 5.9ish. Not worth it for the extra weight of triple. There is triple glass I have seen from the "Get free triple glass" promo guys that is rated worse than good double.

The real question for ANY windows is "What's the glass?" Is it Cardinal or Guardian, and which line? What are the specs? Very rare that someone actually seals their own units these days.

I need more info to answer you properly... You can PM if you prefer.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3001 posts
255 upvotes
Mississauga
wing0 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2016 1:53 am
Quick question.

On the window label from Ener-save. The U-Factor is in 0.91-1.01 range.
Is that the imperial value?

When I view the U factor in NRCAN, Ener-save values are under W/m2 K.
Does that mean even the label is also in W/m2 K? So I take the value and divide by 5.678 to get the actual U value?
Did I make the right assumption?
Sep 8, 2014
33 posts
18 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Hi, I am looking to get a few windows replaced as part of a kitchen reno. One is a very large picture window; about 10' wide by 5' tall, split into three panels (side by side) with low profile sashes. I've had a couple quotes (VWD and Vinylbilt) but both said that triple pane wasn't possible on the large picture window unless I used regular profile sashes (I.e. fixed casement rather than fixed picture). Is this a general limitation with triple pane or might I have more luck with other brands? Thanks!
Penalty Box
Dec 25, 2004
2269 posts
218 upvotes
I am looking to get some windows installed as part of my upgrades for the Union Gas rebates.

Could the industry experts chime in here and recommend a few good dealers/installers in the Guelph area? Georgetown would be ok too.

I am looking a mid to high end sliders and one awning.

Thanks in advance.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2683 posts
694 upvotes
Paris
peano wrote:
Jan 5th, 2017 9:38 am
I am looking to get some windows installed as part of my upgrades for the Union Gas rebates.

Could the industry experts chime in here and recommend a few good dealers/installers in the Guelph area? Georgetown would be ok too.

I am looking a mid to high end sliders and one awning.

Thanks in advance.
Depot/Lowes/Rona sell Vinybuilt and VinylGuard. You can try them for quotes first.

Edit: Keep in mind lead time on windows... 6-8 weeks

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Penalty Box
Dec 25, 2004
2269 posts
218 upvotes
Jerico wrote:
Jan 5th, 2017 9:43 am
Depot/Lowes/Rona sell Vinybuilt and VinylGuard. You can try them for quotes first.

Edit: Keep in mind lead time on windows... 6-8 weeks
I did not realize the building stores sold those brands. The ones I am considering are Vinylguard, North Star and AWD.

Can one of the industry experts chime in on the features of each? Price is not my concern. I want quality.

Thanks in advance.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2683 posts
694 upvotes
Paris
peano wrote:
Jan 5th, 2017 12:49 pm
I did not realize the building stores sold those brands. The ones I am considering are Vinylguard, North Star and AWD.

Can one of the industry experts chime in on the features of each? Price is not my concern. I want quality.

Thanks in advance.
The only AWD I know makes aluminum windows which you don't want in your home unless it's a condo and you are required to have them.

North Star vs VinylGuard is simple... I would call them the same through and through BUT VinylGuard uses thicker vinyl, no warranty transfer cost and the labour is included in VG's warranty. I used to think NorthStar was the best renovation cost window (without blowing your brains out) but VG changed my mind.

Box stores only carry those products through their in-home programs. Cant buy them in store. VG is particular about their installers given the lifetime TRANSFERABLE labour warranty.

Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1148 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone know what to do with the old windows that are pulled out? Do I just smash the glass, recycle it then garbage the vinyl?

I will add that some of the old windows are cracked, but some aren't.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2683 posts
694 upvotes
Paris
James_TheVirus wrote:
Jan 5th, 2017 9:50 pm
Anyone know what to do with the old windows that are pulled out? Do I just smash the glass, recycle it then garbage the vinyl?

I will add that some of the old windows are cracked, but some aren't.
Kijiji for free for the wood windows. Some people like to make projects out of them. Someone refinished one and stuck a mirror in it for our wedding some years back. Looks awesome. Centrepiece on the wall for our bedroom.

Oct 6, 2014
100 posts
29 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Nomad2006 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2017 7:04 pm
Hi, I am looking to get a few windows replaced as part of a kitchen reno. One is a very large picture window; about 10' wide by 5' tall, split into three panels (side by side) with low profile sashes. I've had a couple quotes (VWD and Vinylbilt) but both said that triple pane wasn't possible on the large picture window unless I used regular profile sashes (I.e. fixed casement rather than fixed picture). Is this a general limitation with triple pane or might I have more luck with other brands? Thanks!
I would go with F/C instead of PW, especially for a bigger size to get more regency.
For triple, I would consider only 1"3/8 glass units not 7/8. Some manufacturers using reinforcement inside the profile. That is the best , what you can get
Oct 6, 2014
100 posts
29 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
peano wrote:
Jan 5th, 2017 12:49 pm

Thanks in advance.
As a window Installer with over 30 years experience, I wouldn't recommend to go with any of those department stores. In the past I did work for some of them 50% of the time windows aren't measured correctly. Also not sure if they sell those mentioned above brands or top line windows.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1148 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote:
Jan 5th, 2017 10:39 pm
Kijiji for free for the wood windows. Some people like to make projects out of them. Someone refinished one and stuck a mirror in it for our wedding some years back. Looks awesome. Centrepiece on the wall for our bedroom.
And vinyl ones? A couple have cracked panes...
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2683 posts
694 upvotes
Paris
adanac123 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2017 6:06 am
As a window Installer with over 30 years experience, I wouldn't recommend to go with any of those department stores. In the past I did work for some of them 50% of the time windows aren't measured correctly. Also not sure if they sell those mentioned above brands or top line windows.
So 50% of the time you couldn't install the windows as they were measured wrong? That seems high.

In my experience with the box stores, the installers measure the windows.

Home Depot sells a variant of VinylBilt and Farley (junk). Rona sells Vinylbilt, usually only platinum. Lowe's sells VinylGuard. Home Hardware (those that install) sell VinyBilt. I dont think Sears does it anymore (or sells anything anymore, even when you order it!!)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)