[Merged] Windows/Doors

Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
1639 posts
382 upvotes
Paris
James_TheVirus wrote:
Jan 6th, 2017 8:46 am
And vinyl ones? A couple have cracked panes...
Garbage dump I think? Not sure. I just know the wood ones and frames have a life on Kijiji. I haven't seen anyone with vinyl on there giving them away. With glass in vinyl ones sometimes people will take them for a shed or the like.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Dec 30, 1969
95 posts
28 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Jerico wrote:
Jan 6th, 2017 10:05 am
So 50% of the time you couldn't install the windows as they were measured wrong? That seems high.

In my experience with the box stores, the installers measure the windows.

Home Depot sells a variant of VinylBilt and Farley (junk). Rona sells Vinylbilt, usually only platinum. Lowe's sells VinylGuard. Home Hardware (those that install) sell VinyBilt. I dont think Sears does it anymore (or sells anything anymore, even when you order it!!)
For example, home depo have designated people measuring. So you can imagine , when you are trying to install somebody else measured product. Plus a lot of times product arrives not in the best shape. They want you to install under any circumstances. The whole concept of a department store aren't for people that looking for quality. Take a look at reviews for all those names that you did mentioned. There is plenty of reputable companies up there with excellent product and service.
Dec 30, 1969
95 posts
28 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
James_TheVirus wrote:
Jan 6th, 2017 8:46 am
And vinyl ones? A couple have cracked panes...
Just take your old windows to the garbage dump. I have them on a daily basis. Nobody needs it
Jul 11, 2011
643 posts
351 upvotes
Ontario
peano wrote:
Jan 5th, 2017 9:38 am
I am looking to get some windows installed as part of my upgrades for the Union Gas rebates.

Could the industry experts chime in here and recommend a few good dealers/installers in the Guelph area? Georgetown would be ok too.

I am looking a mid to high end sliders and one awning.

Thanks in advance.
I've heard good things about George's Window and Doors.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1077 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
adanac123 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2017 6:15 am
Just take your old windows to the garbage dump. I have them on a daily basis. Nobody needs it
Ok, thanks! I am going to smash the windows to recycle the glass, then take the PVC to the dump. During our reno, we have been trying to avoid the dump as much as possible - gutting the house leads to a lot of garbage and we want to have the least impact on the planet (if we can help it).
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
1639 posts
382 upvotes
Paris
adanac123 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2017 6:10 am
For example, home depo have designated people measuring. So you can imagine , when you are trying to install somebody else measured product. Plus a lot of times product arrives not in the best shape. They want you to install under any circumstances. The whole concept of a department store aren't for people that looking for quality. Take a look at reviews for all those names that you did mentioned. There is plenty of reputable companies up there with excellent product and service.
We have had very different experiences then. The big box installers I have had in my house or been involved with are affiliated with the box but that's not all they do. They have their own businesses as well. And in every case it's been them measure/install.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Penalty Box
Dec 25, 2004
2267 posts
217 upvotes
hebsie wrote:
Jan 7th, 2017 8:12 am
I've heard good things about George's Window and Doors.
Thanks. They are close to me and sell Vinylguard which is one of the brands I am considering. I will get a quote.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
8213 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
Hi all,

Been looking in the thread for an answer or a similar situation but couldn't find one, hopefully someone can offer advice.

We recently bought a place with 6 half-round windows that have had its gasket fail:

Based on what I've read these windows are pretty much done and need replacing. My questions are:

1) if we leave them alone for a while, any negative effects other than loss of heat/ac/etc?
2) how much would replacing them be approximately?
3) any recommendations as to who is best for this type of window replacement and what kind of windows we should replace them with?

They are all south-facing windows which I hear are the most likely to fail in this manner. The windows are double-paned.

Thanks for all your help!
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
1639 posts
382 upvotes
Paris
mcg wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 3:08 am

1) if we leave them alone for a while, any negative effects other than loss of heat/ac/etc?
2) how much would replacing them be approximately?
3) any recommendations as to who is best for this type of window replacement and what kind of windows we should replace them with?
1) No unless they leak. Serious heat loss though

2) A f&*k load. Curved vinyl windows like this are ridiculous. For instance, my front door replacement when we moved in was $2,700. We have an eyebrow window above it (which was fine) and JUST the window on top of the door costs was another $3,000. We just worked around it.

For a small window that was rectangular and normally $1,000 the same window curved starts at about $1,900. The trim on the inside needs to be steam bent. The window vinyl needs to be bent. The glass is still the cost of rectangular glass but they need to cut it to throw it away.

If you have siding on the outside of your house, have the installer square them off. The framing inside is square anyway. It's ALWAYS cheaper to pay that labour.

3) Literally any window company can make these and any window installer can install them.

If you are looking to buy a house and it has a whole bunch of needless curved windows, keep looking.

Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
8213 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
Wow, thanks for the insight. I was hoping for a replacement to be no more than a couple hundred at most, but $2000 for a window like that? We have 6 that need repairing, that's going to be like 12000 just for 6 windows? I might as well forget about the window replacement and just seal the inside with wrap to prevent heat loss.

I don't know what a small window is, but the curved window in the picture is approximately 45-50cm long and height to the top of the arc is around 25-30cm.

There's no way I can afford replacing these right now based on what you said. So much for that!
Jerico wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 11:10 pm
1) No unless they leak. Serious heat loss though

2) A f&*k load. Curved vinyl windows like this are ridiculous. For instance, my front door replacement when we moved in was $2,700. We have an eyebrow window above it (which was fine) and JUST the window on top of the door costs was another $3,000. We just worked around it.

For a small window that was rectangular and normally $1,000 the same window curved starts at about $1,900. The trim on the inside needs to be steam bent. The window vinyl needs to be bent. The glass is still the cost of rectangular glass but they need to cut it to throw it away.

If you have siding on the outside of your house, have the installer square them off. The framing inside is square anyway. It's ALWAYS cheaper to pay that labour.

3) Literally any window company can make these and any window installer can install them.

If you are looking to buy a house and it has a whole bunch of needless curved windows, keep looking.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
1639 posts
382 upvotes
Paris
mcg wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 11:38 pm
Wow, thanks for the insight. I was hoping for a replacement to be no more than a couple hundred at most, but $2000 for a window like that? We have 6 that need repairing, that's going to be like 12000 just for 6 windows? I might as well forget about the window replacement and just seal the inside with wrap to prevent heat loss.

I don't know what a small window is, but the curved window in the picture is approximately 45-50cm long and height to the top of the arc is around 25-30cm.

There's no way I can afford replacing these right now based on what you said. So much for that!
You can't buy garbage curved glass sealed units for a couple of hundreds bucks at COST for a window like that. Based on your dimensions, I'd say roughly $1900 for that window installed including the bent trim you would need.

50x35 is definitely a small window. So small in fact that most vinyl window manufacturers probably wont even make a window like that for you.

If its a wood window (and I am guessing it is) you could try and have a sealed until made and pop the wood trim off, take out the old and put in o the new sealed window. My guess is about $300 for the glass. If you pay someone to do it you are probably still in the $600 range per window minimum. In Toronto, more like $800-1000 per

May 11, 2011
312 posts
64 upvotes
Weston and Highway 7
Usual Disclaimer - I'm Phil Lewin, VP of technical marketing of Vinyl Window Designs Ltd. and a member of numerous NGO and other industry advisory bodies

Jerico is accurate in his assessment.
Jerico wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 8:30 pm
You can't buy garbage curved glass sealed units for a couple of hundreds bucks at COST for a window like that. Based on your dimensions, I'd say roughly $1900 for that window installed including the bent trim you would need.

50x35 is definitely a small window. So small in fact that most vinyl window manufacturers probably wont even make a window like that for you.

If its a wood window (and I am guessing it is) you could try and have a sealed until made and pop the wood trim off, take out the old and put in o the new sealed window. My guess is about $300 for the glass. If you pay someone to do it you are probably still in the $600 range per window minimum. In Toronto, more like $800-1000 per
Dec 30, 1969
95 posts
28 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
mcg wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 11:38 pm

Looks that you have vinyl window with swiggle spacer. Theoretically you can replace only glass unit. But I think companies wouldn't be interested for this project , especially for this price.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5077 posts
963 upvotes
dealo'day wrote:
Nov 19th, 2016 6:26 pm
Any recommendations on a company that could do a decent porch enclosure for a reasonable price in the scarborough/north york area?

It's just for a small porch and all it needs is to stop the wind. I just want the basic.
I had my porch enclosure installed by Albern Aluminum (20 years ago) - we have never had a problem in 20 years. Their price and service was great & they are east end of GTA based.
http://www.albern.to/
Feb 1, 2017
3 posts
Hello! I agree that the price of about 2000$ is very high for one window. I would advise to look for companies that can do it a lot cheaper. As for me, it is very important to find quolity windows that have good thermal insulation. I changed my windows 1.5 years ago using the help of the canada windows and doors whitby
services. Since then, my house's warmth doesn't go out because of bad windows, I recommend!
Last edited by Phitos on Feb 8th, 2017 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel