[Merged] Windows/Doors

Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2384 posts
587 upvotes
Paris
Phitos wrote:
Feb 8th, 2017 10:20 am
Hello! I agree that the price of about 2000$ is very high for one window. I would advise to look for companies that can do it a lot cheaper. As for me, it is very important to find quolity windows that have good thermal insulation. I changed my windows 1.5 years ago. Since then, my house's warmth doesn't go out because of bad windows, I recommend!
The type of window is expensive. That's life.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
1880 posts
524 upvotes
Toronto
plymouthhater wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 8:20 am
I had my porch enclosure installed by Albern Aluminum (20 years ago) - we have never had a problem in 20 years. Their price and service was great & they are east end of GTA based.
http://www.albern.to/
Unfortunately 20 years is a long time span, so their quality of work and materials could've significantly changed since then however nevertheless it's certainly worth asking.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give them a try.
That's not a knife!
Oct 6, 2014
95 posts
28 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Phitos wrote:
Feb 8th, 2017 10:20 am
Hello! I agree that the price of about 2000$ is very high for one window. I would advise to look for companies that can do it a lot cheaper. As for me, it is very important to find quolity windows that have good thermal insulation. I changed my windows 1.5 years ago. Since then, my house's warmth doesn't go out because of bad windows, I recommend!
This is an average market price for this architectural window.
Oct 28, 2009
2 posts
Toronto
Sorry, lots to ready and I have been trying -- curious if anyone can comment on Vinyl-Pro (via WindowRama) vs Armor (via GEM) vs Clera vs Trimbo? looking at double glass for here in Etobicoke in a Brick-to-brick installation. Pricing I can get but am curious if anyone has comments about the windows, companies, installers, warranties etc. or anything to sway me to one over another?

Steve
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5293 posts
1090 upvotes
sgordon wrote:
Feb 12th, 2017 1:00 am
Sorry, lots to ready and I have been trying -- curious if anyone can comment on Vinyl-Pro (via WindowRama) vs Armor (via GEM) vs Clera vs Trimbo? looking at double glass for here in Etobicoke in a Brick-to-brick installation. Pricing I can get but am curious if anyone has comments about the windows, companies, installers, warranties etc. or anything to sway me to one over another?

Steve
I used this company:
http://www.window-land.com/specials.asp

Installation crew were wonderful to deal with - did a great job (neatly done, cleaned up after their work was done - the neatest caulking job I have ever seen).
I was offered two vendors products - I chose Vinylbuilt.
A couple of years after installation and I still have no complaints or problems.
Warranty for the windows themselves was from the window manufacturer - I have had no reason whatsoever to exercise the installation warranty.
Would I use them again - definitely.
Oct 28, 2009
2 posts
Toronto
ipopov wrote:
Oct 31st, 2016 11:24 am
We want to replace our patio door, looking for a standard 5" low E Argon vinyl door. Of course, there are companies like Roniz advertizing on kijiji doors for $900 but their reviewes are pretty bad. Any recommendations regarding brands / contractors? I also got a quote for a Sunview door for $1800+tax, which seems pretty steep. What price should we target for a reputable brand? I'd appreciate any advice.
I am curious what you ended up purchasing? And, for the Sunview door, which model was it at $1800? Thanks, Steve
Dec 4, 2005
368 posts
126 upvotes
Mississauga
sgordon wrote:
Feb 12th, 2017 9:30 pm
I am curious what you ended up purchasing? And, for the Sunview door, which model was it at $1800? Thanks, Steve
Ended up getting Newcastle Sunview door, got a good deal on it. Saw an entry level Sunview (Victorian ?, I don't remember tbh) didn't like it at all, very cheaply made and flimsy, but Newcastle is great. Solid and looks great installed. No regrets.

$1800 was for Newcastle, but I paid less, got a better price quote later.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2384 posts
587 upvotes
Paris
sgordon wrote:
Feb 12th, 2017 1:00 am

Steve
Natural resources Canada has a great comparison window to window with date from energy star tests. The best thing to do is find out the window's u-value and see the window. If they aren't using truth Hardware with nesting handle, some sort of polymer spacer, friction fit screens, and metal pins for double hung windows then you don't want them.

Anyone that tries to cap windows with a b2b is looking for their bottom line vs built in brickmold. Caulking the cap to the brick (can't get around that one) and caulking the cap to the window (why caulk twice? Double point of failure) is foolish when you can do brickmold.

Also look DEEPLY at the warranty. What's is covered? What's your obligation? Most offer a form of lifetime warranty but is labour included? Is the warranty pro-rated? Does it transfer?

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Oct 6, 2014
95 posts
28 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Jerico wrote:
Feb 13th, 2017 12:36 am
Natural resources Canada has a great comparison window to window with date from energy star tests. The best thing to do is find out the window's u-value and see the window. If they aren't using truth Hardware with nesting handle, some sort of polymer spacer, friction fit screens, and metal pins for double hung windows then you don't want them.

Anyone that tries to cap windows with a b2b is looking for their bottom line vs built in brickmold. Caulking the cap to the brick (can't get around that one) and caulking the cap to the window (why caulk twice? Double point of failure) is foolish when you can do brickmold.

Also look DEEPLY at the warranty. What's is covered? What's your obligation? Most offer a form of lifetime warranty but is labour included? Is the warranty pro-rated? Does it transfer?
First of all as far as I know we go by ER factor in Canada.
Second not agree with your view on capping. Sometimes capping is a lot better option ( in terms of insulation) , even though it a complete replacement ( brick to brick)
And third, warranty as good as the company still in business. My over 30 years in the industry I have seen lots of companies out of business even with the excellent warranty.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2384 posts
587 upvotes
Paris
adanac123 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 5:15 am
First of all as far as I know we go by ER factor in Canada.
Second not agree with your view on capping. Sometimes capping is a lot better option ( in terms of insulation) , even though it a complete replacement ( brick to brick)
And third, warranty as good as the company still in business. My over 30 years in the industry I have seen lots of companies out of business even with the excellent warranty.
How is capping ever the better option if a window fits correctly b2b? A piece of metal against a window vs built in sealed brick mood wins every time. The colours don't fade differently and you don't need to recaulk that joint.

You are literally the first person I have ever heard say this.

Oct 6, 2014
95 posts
28 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Jerico wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 10:54 am
How is capping ever the better option if a window fits correctly b2b? A piece of metal against a window vs built in sealed brick mood wins every time. The colours don't fade differently and you don't need to recaulk that joint.

You are literally the first person I have ever heard say this.
Wow!!
There is a lot more important factors you must take in consideration, when installing windows. Capping and brickmold just "decoration" .
When installing windows: placement of the window, blue skin,, proper shimming, and minimum 1/2" gap for proper foam insulation- must be at list 1" from outside and 1" inside. With the brickmold will be difficult to control amount of foam applied on exterior part of the window. Of course you can stick foam extender and try ,but it not perfect in some cases.
Some openings aren't square, how are you going to put brickmold? And if yes your caulking job will be a lot worse in this case it contradicts your own words.
How would you install brickmold on applications that over 70 years old with 12" wall , it simply not possible,if of course you are going to do a proper job.
When I installing windows I'd like to use different brickmolds in order to place the window on the proper spad ( something to do with cold barrier) 1", 1"1/5, 2", flat, extended and... A lot of manufacturers don't have such a variety of accessories.
I see a lot of windows installed with the brickmold , that should be capped.
Of course you need to use a heavy gage capping and proper caulking. I see my previous installations and have no problem with it. And trust me, when I apply caulking it nice and need.
And regardless capping or brickmold u still need to caulk the window. And if the Installers doesn't know what he is going , will look horrible in any case.
Installers that aren't good will never use capping, because u need the skills.
Don't know why u never heard this before, but you always leave and learn!
May 11, 2011
322 posts
66 upvotes
Weston and Highway 7
Usual Disclaimer - I'm Phil Lewin, VP of technical marketing of Vinyl Window Designs Ltd. and a member of numerous NGO and other industry advisory bodies

OK, I'll be the second person who says that sometimes capping is the better option. Brickmoulds have a fixed size that might not be ideal for every application. As a manufacturer, we make a number to try to fit almost all situations, but the key word is almost. Also, there are rare situations where insulation needs to be applied from the outside and it can only be done if one does not use a pre-installed brickmould. Our friend Adanac123 knows his stuff!

adanac123 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 6:13 am
Wow!!
There is a lot more important factors you must take in consideration, when installing windows. Capping and brickmold just "decoration" .
When installing windows: placement of the window, blue skin,, proper shimming, and minimum 1/2" gap for proper foam insulation- must be at list 1" from outside and 1" inside. With the brickmold will be difficult to control amount of foam applied on exterior part of the window. Of course you can stick foam extender and try ,but it not perfect in some cases.
Some openings aren't square, how are you going to put brickmold? And if yes your caulking job will be a lot worse in this case it contradicts your own words.
How would you install brickmold on applications that over 70 years old with 12" wall , it simply not possible,if of course you are going to do a proper job.
When I installing windows I'd like to use different brickmolds in order to place the window on the proper spad ( something to do with cold barrier) 1", 1"1/5, 2", flat, extended and... A lot of manufacturers don't have such a variety of accessories.
I see a lot of windows installed with the brickmold , that should be capped.
Of course you need to use a heavy gage capping and proper caulking. I see my previous installations and have no problem with it. And trust me, when I apply caulking it nice and need.
And regardless capping or brickmold u still need to caulk the window. And if the Installers doesn't know what he is going , will look horrible in any case.
Installers that aren't good will never use capping, because u need the skills.
Don't know why u never heard this before, but you always leave and learn!
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2384 posts
587 upvotes
Paris
anotherwindowpro wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 8:56 am
Usual Disclaimer - I'm Phil Lewin, VP of technical marketing of Vinyl Window Designs Ltd. and a member of numerous NGO and other industry advisory bodies

OK, I'll be the second person who says that sometimes capping is the better option. Brickmoulds have a fixed size that might not be ideal for every application. As a manufacturer, we make a number to try to fit almost all situations, but the key word is almost. Also, there are rare situations where insulation needs to be applied from the outside and it can only be done if one does not use a pre-installed brickmould. Our friend Adanac123 knows his stuff!
What I said was "How is capping ever a better option if the windows fits correctly B2B" which negates the weird option of a 12" wall, or the rare time you need to spray from the outside, or when BM just doesn't come in the right size. Both of you quoted the cases where the window DOESN'T fit B2B which is not what I said at all.

Capping must be installed perfectly with zero caulk issues for no air to leak in. BM is channelled into the window and there is no way air is getting in on that joint on a good window.

Most hack job installers I see use capping, not Brickmould. Why introduce the second caulked joint when any caulking will fail long before the vinyl does?

Capping has it's place and always will, but it should not be the go to that I see so many installers try and make it.

Capping and BM are NOT decoration. They play a pivotal role in blocking air leakage around the window. You can put in the most expensive and best window in the world but if you leave open space for air to leak in around it there is literally no point. Its a very important part of keeping water and general nature out as well.

Our friend adanac went on a complete tangent to what I was saying and completely lost me at "BM and capping are decoration"

Oct 6, 2014
95 posts
28 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Jerico wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 3:37 pm
What I said was "How is capping ever a better option if the windows fits correctly B2B" which negates the weird option of a 12" wall, or the rare time you need to spray from the outside, or when BM just doesn't come in the right size. Both of you quoted the cases where the window DOESN'T fit B2B which is not what I said at all.

Capping must be installed perfectly with zero caulk issues for no air to leak in. BM is channelled into the window and there is no way air is getting in on that joint on a good window.

Most hack job installers I see use capping, not Brickmould. Why introduce the second caulked joint when any caulking will fail long before the vinyl does?

Capping has it's place and always will, but it should not be the go to that I see so many installers try and make it.

Capping and BM are NOT decoration. They play a pivotal role in blocking air leakage around the window. You can put in the most expensive and best window in the world but if you leave open space for air to leak in around it there is literally no point. Its a very important part of keeping water and general nature out as well.

Our friend adanac went on a complete tangent to what I was saying and completely lost me at "BM and capping are decoration"

Not sure what is your point? But what I think base on your comments not enough experience.

If the window installed correctly with proper placement, blue skin applied, and properly foamed, no way it going to leak even without capping or brickmold. A lot of situations when brickmold is a wrong thing to go with, base on structure of the application and inside finishes.

You narrowed down only to two options, this is why I thought you were wrong. There is a lot more to it, when people are choosing methods of installation, considering different factors.

And I am strongly not agree with you , this is your comment: " Anyone that tries to cap windows with a b2b is looking for their bottom line " Simply not true

A lot more complicated to install windows with the aluminum capping on and a lot of Installers have no experience to do this correctly- this is where I agree with you. That's why they prefer an easy way with brickmold on.
Jun 8, 2007
878 posts
117 upvotes
Mississauga
I live in a semi where our rear neighbours are very loud (and uncooperative) and I'm looking at soundproofing one, possibly two windows on the 2nd floor. Both are horizontal slide, double pane.

Anyone have insight for the effectiveness of adding bquiet or equivalent on top of these compared to replacing with triple pane casement? Or doing both?

Not 100% sure on size, but would guess they are 2.5 by 3.5 feet. Can measure once home.