Home & Garden

[Merged] Windows/Doors

Jun 8, 2007
843 posts
105 upvotes
Mississauga
I live in a semi where our rear neighbours are very loud (and uncooperative) and I'm looking at soundproofing one, possibly two windows on the 2nd floor. Both are horizontal slide, double pane.

Anyone have insight for the effectiveness of adding bquiet or equivalent on top of these compared to replacing with triple pane casement? Or doing both?

Not 100% sure on size, but would guess they are 2.5 by 3.5 feet. Can measure once home.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
1274 posts
277 upvotes
Paris
adanac123 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 7:23 am

A lot more complicated to install windows with the aluminum capping on and a lot of Installers have no experience to do this correctly- this is where I agree with you. That's why they prefer an easy way with brickmold on.
And so we disagree. Lots of hacks doing the cheap way use capping.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Dec 30, 1969
94 posts
27 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Bleys007 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 4:34 pm
I live in a semi where our rear neighbours are very loud (and uncooperative) and I'm looking at soundproofing one, possibly two windows on the 2nd floor. Both are horizontal slide, double pane.

Anyone have insight for the effectiveness of adding bquiet or equivalent on top of these compared to replacing with triple pane casement? Or doing both?

Not 100% sure on size, but would guess they are 2.5 by 3.5 feet. Can measure once home.
Casement definitely will be a better option. Triple glass helps, but as far as I know laminated glass have better sound resistance. Not sure how laud your neighbors are, but it not possible to reduce the noise 100%.
Jun 8, 2007
843 posts
105 upvotes
Mississauga
adanac123 wrote:
Feb 18th, 2017 5:38 am
Casement definitely will be a better option. Triple glass helps, but as far as I know laminated glass have better sound resistance. Not sure how laud your neighbors are, but it not possible to reduce the noise 100%.
It's not all the time, but things like power tools in the driveway. Or in the garage, but only ever with the garage door open so the whole neighbourhood can hear - never with the garage door closed. Using their truck as a stereo so they can hear the music in their backyard while their truck is in the driveway (f***wads...)
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
1274 posts
277 upvotes
Paris
Bleys007 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 4:34 pm

Better insulation blocks noise and hot/cold. Laminated glass is the best, triple will help too. Nothing will eliminate.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Mar 7, 2017
0 posts
Hi,

Looking to do window replacement in our home in Milton.

Nend feedback re:

Strassburger installed by West Windows in
Burlington
Vinylbuilt installed by fasada in Oakville
Vinyl Pro installed by Optima.

Feeling overwhelmed with research.

Thank you.
Sep 7, 2010
360 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
I'm looking at getting my windows replaced and trying to read as much as I can in this jungle of information.

I see many posts regarding vinylbilt, but I received a quote recently from an installer who sells armor doors and windows. By searching online it appears that both vinylbilt and amor belong to the same main corporation as they both say they are a division of ATIS. My question is whether or not one line is better than the other? i.e. is one for aftermarket consumer, one for builder, is there a difference in quality and price of products?

thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5040 posts
943 upvotes
cruzine wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 4:16 pm
I'm looking at getting my windows replaced and trying to read as much as I can in this jungle of information.

I see many posts regarding vinylbilt, but I received a quote recently from an installer who sells armor doors and windows. By searching online it appears that both vinylbilt and amor belong to the same main corporation as they both say they are a division of ATIS. My question is whether or not one line is better than the other? i.e. is one for aftermarket consumer, one for builder, is there a difference in quality and price of products?

thanks!
Here's my 2 cents worth after a few years with 23 new Vinylbilt triple pane windows - my house is quiet, no drafts, the house is warmer and I have had absolutely no issues with the windows whatsoever.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
1274 posts
277 upvotes
Paris
cruzine wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 4:16 pm

thanks!
VinylBilt platinum windows are great. Sometimes I wish the fit and finish was a little better, but great windows. The problem is that VB is GM. They makes chevettes and Corvettes so saying "they are VinylBilt" always means the follow up of "which line?" Their crap windows are really crap and their good stuff is great. Be sure of what you are getting.

For the same price as VB platinum, look at VinylGuard. Labour warranty included, slightly nicer fit and finish, same price as VB platinum.

May 11, 2011
305 posts
62 upvotes
Weston and Highway 7
Usual Disclaimer - I'm Phil Lewin, VP of technical marketing of Vinyl Window Designs Ltd. and a member of numerous NGO and other industry advisory bodies

Laminated one side in a double is better than 7/8" OT triple, but a 1 3/8" OT triple is about the same for sound as laminated double and a better investment for thermal efficiency.
Jerico wrote:
Feb 20th, 2017 1:47 am
Better insulation blocks noise and hot/cold. Laminated glass is the best, triple will help too. Nothing will eliminate.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1059 posts
173 upvotes
OTTAWA
anotherwindowpro wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 10:38 am
Usual Disclaimer - I'm Phil Lewin, VP of technical marketing of Vinyl Window Designs Ltd. and a member of numerous NGO and other industry advisory bodies

Laminated one side in a double is better than 7/8" OT triple, but a 1 3/8" OT triple is about the same for sound as laminated double and a better investment for thermal efficiency.
Hello ANOTHERWINDOWPRO: I have been living in a 1987 built house since it was built. After repainting the entire house, AND before we replace the carpet with hardwood my wife has a thought to ADD a 70" wide x 48" tall pvc window on the main floor to get some natural light. I have met several salespersons from various window company, ONLY 1 provided me a hand written sketch on how the new add should be installed. He said he would not be the guy to install the window but a crew from his company. He quoted $2,400.- plus tax for a double pane VWD window.

I find the price is high and am hesitate if the window would be installed properly (5-year warranty on labour). Do you recommend to open up a NORTH FACING wall for a 70" x 48" double pane window? Is the price reasonable? Any advice on installation? Thanks in advance.

Advice from other RFD friends are welcome. Thanks.
Aug 4, 2006
146 posts
32 upvotes
GTA - Gwill
Rockymountain wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 7:23 pm
Hello ANOTHERWINDOWPRO: I have been living in a 1987 built house since it was built. After repainting the entire house, AND before we replace the carpet with hardwood my wife has a thought to ADD a 70" wide x 48" tall pvc window on the main floor to get some natural light. I have met several salespersons from various window company, ONLY 1 provided me a hand written sketch on how the new add should be installed. He said he would not be the guy to install the window but a crew from his company. He quoted $2,400.- plus tax for a double pane VWD window.

I find the price is high and am hesitate if the window would be installed properly (5-year warranty on labour). Do you recommend to open up a NORTH FACING wall for a 70" x 48" double pane window? Is the price reasonable? Any advice on installation? Thanks in advance.

No window is going to give you the same or near same level of R level that you have now. The north side can be the coldest side if there is nothing blocking the wind. So is that room extra warm now? Because once you cut that hole in the wall ... the room is going to be cooling down. Are you also thinking of adding a heating vent under that window? These are some additional points your wife may want to consider.

As for the price .... it think it may be on the cheaper side. Is the house brick veneer or siding? You'll need to reframe the opening, maybe requiring a steel lintel and deal with making the appearance of the window fit in with the other windows (brickmould, alum capping ,and stone or brick sill).
May 11, 2011
305 posts
62 upvotes
Weston and Highway 7

Sorry, but I can't comment on price. I'm sure someone else can. I don't have a problem with a big window on a north face if the view is worth it! Given that it is a picture window, you can do a 1 3/8" triple and improve your U value significantly, even if you opt to stay with one low E.
You might choose a solar shield style Low E to maximize U value over SHGC because of the north face location. This doesn't effect cost.
Rockymountain wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 7:23 pm

Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
1274 posts
277 upvotes
Paris
anotherwindowpro wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 10:38 am

Who wants to look through a laminated window though? :)

Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1059 posts
173 upvotes
OTTAWA
Thank you very much 2 FLAGS and ANOTHERWINDOWPRO for the input and professional advice.

The proposed add would be a casement window as suggested by the saleman and it is looking at the side wall of my neighbour's house which is 10 feet away. ANOTHERWINDOWPRO wrote, " I don't have a problem with a big window on a north face if the view is worth it! " SO in situation like this may I have professional advice if I should just forget adding a window because it is north facing? Thanks a million.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel