Home & Garden

[Merged] Windows/Doors

Jul 20, 2010
27 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
So I am hoping someone can solve this mystery for me. We recently had new windows installed and there is one window in particular, a bay window that quickly attracts a foggy film on the inside of the house (not in between the panes). If I clean the window, the film returns the next day. It's not condensation, it does not feel wet so that is why I am stumped. Is it a defective window?
May 11, 2011
312 posts
64 upvotes
Weston and Highway 7
Usual Disclaimer - I'm Phil Lewin, VP of technical marketing of Vinyl Window Designs Ltd. and a member of numerous NGO and other industry advisory bodies

"Who wants to look through a laminated window though?"

I'm not sure if you know what a laminated glass looks like. Not much different than a non-laminated.
May 11, 2011
312 posts
64 upvotes
Weston and Highway 7
Usual Disclaimer - I'm Phil Lewin, VP of technical marketing of Vinyl Window Designs Ltd. and a member of numerous NGO and other industry advisory bodies

You seem sure it is not condensation, but this is the most likely issue. Any projecting window will have poorer airflow inside the cavity and be more likely to have condensation. I can't see the window as being defective. If you couldn't "clean" it, I'd wonder if the Low E was on the wrong surface, but since you can clean it, this is not an issue. Talk to the company that installed it, but I'm still thinking condensaiton.

mastermixer wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 8:53 am
So I am hoping someone can solve this mystery for me. We recently had new windows installed and there is one window in particular, a bay window that quickly attracts a foggy film on the inside of the house (not in between the panes). If I clean the window, the film returns the next day. It's not condensation, it does not feel wet so that is why I am stumped. Is it a defective window?
Jul 20, 2010
27 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
anotherwindowpro wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 9:17 am

You seem sure it is not condensation, but this is the most likely issue. Any projecting window will have poorer airflow inside the cavity and be more likely to have condensation. I can't see the window as being defective. If you couldn't "clean" it, I'd wonder if the Low E was on the wrong surface, but since you can clean it, this is not an issue. Talk to the company that installed it, but I'm still thinking condensaiton.
Thanks for the quick reply. It may be condensation, but is this normal for new windows? Should I expect this during colder days? (live in Toronto).
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
1570 posts
377 upvotes
Paris
anotherwindowpro wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 9:12 am

"Who wants to look through a laminated window though?"

I'm not sure if you know what a laminated glass looks like. Not much different than a non-laminated.
I was thinking hurricane glass. Windshields are laminated glass
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Mar 16, 2014
243 posts
67 upvotes
CLAREMONT
Best place for cash and carry windows and doors? Looking for double front entry doors, 2 bay windows and 4 other windows, want good quality and competent to do the install.

Plan was to go to Lowes/HD but I imagine there's better places out there?
Jan 10, 2005
262 posts
55 upvotes
Anyone have any direct experience with Antartik system by Vinylbuilt? Concept is interesting, as I hate condensation, but there is always some fear with a "new design". How does the "built-in" insulation chase work out in real life? Any issues installing in a new construction, 7.75" wall thickness?
May 11, 2011
312 posts
64 upvotes
Weston and Highway 7

"Normal?" It happens. Here is why. You have sealed up your window area so moisture in the home is not escaping with your heat. Relative humidity is probably higher than it was with the leaky windows. If it gets high enough, even with new windows you can get condensaiton. You should not accept this. You need to modify the humidity level and review air flow around the window. There is a lot of info on line re condensation, causes and how to get rid of it. We also have a section of our owner's manual on it on our web site. www.vinylwindowdesigns.com
mastermixer wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 9:27 am
Thanks for the quick reply. It may be condensation, but is this normal for new windows? Should I expect this during colder days? (live in Toronto).
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
4876 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto
Hi, thinking of getting windows changed. Can someone tell me coles notes?

- Best option / cost if selling house in 2 years?

- Best option / cost if keeping house indefinitely?
For Sale:
    Canon C100 + Canon 70-200 f2.8 + ...
Looking for: Sony Camera for video (for a good price)
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
1570 posts
377 upvotes
Paris
MANGLER wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 11:39 pm
Anyone have any direct experience with Antartik system by Vinylbuilt? Concept is interesting, as I hate condensation, but there is always some fear with a "new design". How does the "built-in" insulation chase work out in real life? Any issues installing in a new construction, 7.75" wall thickness?
VinylBilt has a lot of gimmicky things like their clean glass. I don't have direct experience with the "antartik" system but since all the vinyl comes from Royal my guess is that most anyone can do the same thing. It looks like an additional piece of brickmold.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
1570 posts
377 upvotes
Paris
PrinceMS wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 3:14 pm
Hi, thinking of getting windows changed. Can someone tell me coles notes?

- Best option / cost if selling house in 2 years?

- Best option / cost if keeping house indefinitely?
My answer is the same for both. Get energy star rated windows with a transferable warranty to the new owner that will last a long time. I am 11 years into a 5-8 year plan for home ownership. We need to stop being so disposable and putting in windows for the next 5-7 years.

The labour rate on junk windows and good windows is the same, so put some money into the product.

Dec 30, 1969
95 posts
28 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
MANGLER wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 11:39 pm
The only difference, extended brickmold that allow to install your window closer to inside. This is how every installation must be done. Unfortunately most Installers pushing the window to far out with the bigger jamb extension usually requested​ by not educated customer. And of course all this can trigger higher amount of condensation.
A lot of manufacturers have the same thing. Vynilbuilt call it "system" , I think it a bit exaggerated.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
1570 posts
377 upvotes
Paris
adanac123 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 6:50 am
The only difference, extended brickmold that allow to install your window closer to inside. This is how every installation must be done. Unfortunately most Installers pushing the window to far out with the bigger jamb extension usually requested​ by not educated customer. And of course all this can trigger higher amount of condensation.
A lot of manufacturers have the same thing. Vynilbuilt call it "system" , I think it a bit exaggerated.
Then you go to Cambridge or Milton and the windows are installed with no brickmold or capping on the outside and the window unit is darn near installed outside the 2x4s with a MASSIVE inside jamb. Ridiculous.

Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
4876 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 11:27 pm
My answer is the same for both. Get energy star rated windows with a transferable warranty to the new owner that will last a long time. I am 11 years into a 5-8 year plan for home ownership. We need to stop being so disposable and putting in windows for the next 5-7 years.

The labour rate on junk windows and good windows is the same, so put some money into the product.
Thank you appreciate it. Any tips how to find labour guy / how to check for energy ratings?
For Sale:
    Canon C100 + Canon 70-200 f2.8 + ...
Looking for: Sony Camera for video (for a good price)
Apr 30, 2015
31 posts
4 upvotes
York, ON
My roof needs to be replaced and I have a quote for 6K, its a back-split house approx 2200 square feet. I am thinking of changing the colour from the red/brown with brown gutters and soffits to all black. my question is it the roof costs 6k, how much does new soffits and gutters cost?
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel