Home & Garden

[Merged] Windows/Doors

Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12694 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
GaganD65149 wrote: Installer installed the windows 2 days before in my house . All windows 10 in contract are triple glass but now when i checked with lighter one window is double glass. That window has one slider at bottom . So when i ask my installer he said for rebate the slider window should be 2 glass other wise its heavy and only this is covered by green on but when i showed my neighbors same window installed by brock with triple glass approved by green on then he said its not right by specification given by green on. Could any one please explain who is right.

How i can check the Loe 180 coating .

Thanks
Double and triple qualify for GreenOn. Go back after him
Sep 26, 2009
187 posts
42 upvotes
For our new windows, my wife would like to have grilles inside (which are present in the cruddy builder windows that we are replacing). However, I am concerned that the grilles would make the windows less energy efficient and would allow more heat transfer through the windows. Can anyone provide some insight into this?
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2016
1233 posts
627 upvotes
GTA
GaganD65149 wrote: Installer installed the windows 2 days before in my house . All windows 10 in contract are triple glass but now when i checked with lighter one window is double glass. That window has one slider at bottom . So when i ask my installer he said for rebate the slider window should be 2 glass other wise its heavy and only this is covered by green on but when i showed my neighbors same window installed by brock with triple glass approved by green on then he said its not right by specification given by green on. Could any one please explain who is right.

How i can check the Loe 180 coating .

Thanks
Unless the glass exceeds maximum size it should be triple. From your quote or invoice send us the window size and we can check the veracity of the installer story.
Last edited by missymouse on Oct 6th, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2016
1233 posts
627 upvotes
GTA
yyzrfdman wrote: For our new windows, my wife would like to have grilles inside (which are present in the cruddy builder windows that we are replacing). However, I am concerned that the grilles would make the windows less energy efficient and would allow more heat transfer through the windows. Can anyone provide some insight into this?
Not a big deal. The loss is maybe a point and a lost less grief than not doing them
Jul 4, 2018
8 posts
size of window is width 48 and height is 62 . upper side is fixed and bottom is slider .

Thanks
Jul 4, 2018
8 posts
missymouse wrote: Unless the glass exceeds maximum size it should be triple. From your quote or invoice send us the window size and we can check the veracity of the installer story.
size of window is width 48 and height is 62 . upper side is fixed and bottom is slider .

Thanks
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2016
1233 posts
627 upvotes
GTA
GaganD65149 wrote: size of window is width 48 and height is 62 . upper side is fixed and bottom is slider .

Thanks
So the slider is on the bottom and around 21"-22" high? Pretty well giving you a 48X48 fixed picture upper? That would be 16 sq ft. The max for triple is 30 sq ft
Apr 10, 2013
457 posts
131 upvotes
When getting a window quote / contract - can we usually ask for some kind of discount (like when you are buying a mattress or when you are dealing with contractor for renovation - usually you can get a few hundreds shaved off).

I don't want to come out as rude, but I also would like to know if I can at least save a little bit more. This is with local installer / manufacturer (VinylBilt / VinylGuard / MagicWindow / etc), not the Home Depot type. I assume Home Depot type is set price, you don't go to Home Depot and ask for discount, so curious if I can get one with the independent stores?

Second question - is there any kind of rebate / government discount / etc kind of deal right now?

Thank you!
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12694 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
RFDMadeMeBuyStuff wrote: When getting a window quote / contract - can we usually ask for some kind of discount (like when you are buying a mattress or when you are dealing with contractor for renovation - usually you can get a few hundreds shaved off).

I don't want to come out as rude, but I also would like to know if I can at least save a little bit more. This is with local installer / manufacturer (VinylBilt / VinylGuard / MagicWindow / etc), not the Home Depot type. I assume Home Depot type is set price, you don't go to Home Depot and ask for discount, so curious if I can get one with the independent stores?

Second question - is there any kind of rebate / government discount / etc kind of deal right now?

Thank you!
Usually anyone will quote you the best rate they have going right now. Depot/lowes/Rona sometimes have deals in their flyers that vary week to week.

The Union gas rebate might be going on still but requires more than just windows. You need to do 2 measures, so windows and... furnace or insulation, or a bunch of other stuff.

Edit: I should mention if its a “we manufacture and install for factory direct savings for you” there is about 20-30% wiggle room in those quotes.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2016
1233 posts
627 upvotes
GTA
RFDMadeMeBuyStuff wrote: When getting a window quote / contract - can we usually ask for some kind of discount (like when you are buying a mattress or when you are dealing with contractor for renovation - usually you can get a few hundreds shaved off).

Thank you!
Sure go ahead and ask but understand the game. The dealer (the usuals advertising crazy bunch) take their cost plus the desired margin and then add on between 40-50% more just for guys like you. They build in a 48% buffer, give you back let's say 40% and make an additional 8% over my planned profit. Here's the thing, if every month they have a sale that equals about the same amount, why don't they just offer a lower price, to begin with? Because you want a deal, not a fair price. Karma's a real bitch.
Jan 13, 2005
166 posts
2 upvotes
Edmonton
Good day guys. I have a question here. Is VWD a good brand? My contractor said it is garbage. But his good windows cost $3000 more then VWD price for 15 windows.
Apr 22, 2018
52 posts
15 upvotes
When installing windows, how much foam insulation should be used? The installer definitely used foam, but didn't fill the entire depth around the window so there were spots where there was no excess foam that needed to be cut off. Is that an issue or am I being picky?
May 11, 2011
465 posts
120 upvotes
Highway 427 and The …
I'm Phil Lewin - GEM Windows and a member of numerous govt and NGO committees.

You might be being too picky... or not. Over-filling is also a problem as the foam will continue expanding to a small degree even after you think it isn't, putting pressure you don't want on the window. You do want a continuous fill. Short of seeing a picture, I would not state one or the other. Not having excess foam is not in and of itself a bad thing.
bosssk wrote: When installing windows, how much foam insulation should be used? The installer definitely used foam, but didn't fill the entire depth around the window so there were spots where there was no excess foam that needed to be cut off. Is that an issue or am I being picky?
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12694 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
bosssk wrote: When installing windows, how much foam insulation should be used? The installer definitely used foam, but didn't fill the entire depth around the window so there were spots where there was no excess foam that needed to be cut off. Is that an issue or am I being picky?
Foam is expensive and these guys do it everyday. Ideally you want a perfect fill for you and the installer, no waste but full.

WindowWise says that a 1” bead on the outer layer, an air space, then another 1” (rinse and repeat one more for deeper frames) does the same trick as the air gap is similar to the gap in windows. Personally, I like a nice clean full fill.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12694 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
samcat wrote: Good day guys. I have a question here. Is VWD a good brand? My contractor said it is garbage. But his good windows cost $3000 more then VWD price for 15 windows.
So what brand are you getting for 200 bucks more per window? Asking us if a Dodge Caliber is a good car and instead should you spend $5000 more on another car without mentioning which car is hard to answer.
Jan 13, 2005
166 posts
2 upvotes
Edmonton
Jerico wrote: So what brand are you getting for 200 bucks more per window? Asking us if a Dodge Caliber is a good car and instead should you spend $5000 more on another car without mentioning which car is hard to answer.
Not sure if you ever heard of galaxy windows.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12694 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
samcat wrote: Not sure if you ever heard of galaxy windows.
Their warranty says non pro-rated then goes on to say how its pro-rated after 20 years. Also, that web design is from 1998.

They dont look special to me.

Wow. VWD’s website design also went live in 1998. WTF.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)