[Merged] Windows/Doors

Oct 6, 2014
103 posts
29 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
sstrini wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 11:25 am
Hi everyone,
I'm getting a new steel door installed in a couple of weeks. We currently have an alarm and I suppose the installers will need to leave the existing wires exposed for the alarm company to set up the alarm on the new door. Does anyone know whether they will need to drill holes in my brand new door and frame in order to set it up again? I'd rather they not have to drill if possible. Could these wires just be taped to the frame instead?

Thanks
Any experience Installer knows how to reconnect alarm magnets or wires, but nobody wants to take responsibility for it. The best way it to call your alarm company before and after even though will cost you some money.
There is plenty different alarm systems available. But most of them require drilling of the main door slab and jamb. It absolutely save and it not significants not going to effect your door performance.
When I am installing doors or windows always keep the wires out for the alarm company to reconnect
Jun 25, 2017
19 posts
Jerico wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 8:26 pm
I'm not sure what type of alarm system you have on the doors. There are some that are contact switches inside the door frame vs the ugly mag switches screwed into the door. But in all cases there will be drilling. Call your alarm guys for options.
Currently, I see that they've drilled the door to put a magnet, and then put some sort of plug there so you can't see it. If you look for it, you can see it. I guess the only other option is moving to the wireless contacts, but I imagine the wired ones are more reliable.
Jun 25, 2017
19 posts
adanac123 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 6:03 am
Any experience Installer knows how to reconnect alarm magnets or wires, but nobody wants to take responsibility for it. The best way it to call your alarm company before and after even though will cost you some money.
There is plenty different alarm systems available. But most of them require drilling of the main door slab and jamb. It absolutely save and it not significants not going to effect your door performance.
When I am installing doors or windows always keep the wires out for the alarm company to reconnect
Thanks. I've called them. They are coming the day after the installation.
Apr 28, 2015
23 posts
5 upvotes
East York, ON
Triple pane a bad idea for wood windows? I've red mixed reviews, re: seal failures and being too heavy vs. improved condensation resistance
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2869 posts
770 upvotes
Paris
jeff316 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 2:39 pm
Triple pane a bad idea for wood windows? I've red mixed reviews, re: seal failures and being too heavy vs. improved condensation resistance
Ive heard lots of people say triple pane has a higher failure rate but most glass companies worth using put a lifetime seal warranty anyway. However I'd look strongly at high end double glazing being almost as good as low grade triple. I say that as it's what I did in my own house.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Feb 23, 2008
717 posts
32 upvotes
We are in the process of quoting for some replacement windows for our house and we have started to narrow down a bit as we want to get them ordered so they can be installed before winter.

Anyway, we've had a few of the bigger companies out and one of them said that for our bay window at the front of the house that there are posts behind the trim/aluminum flashing between the three aluminum windows making up the bay and that they are supporting the overhang roof structure above the window.

We are looking at doing brick to brick (full-frame) installation of our windows instead of retrofit installation so we can maximize the amount of window area, insulate around the window, etc. I guess we'll end up removing the original trim and they said they could replace it with trim that looks the same with an apron, etc.

The salesperson from this company proceeded to give me a quote for retrofit/insert and full-frame/brick-to-brick installation anyway.

So we proceeded to have quotations by other companies and they didn't mention any concern with the front bay window being replaced with full frame installation but their windows may not be rated as good or as long of a warranty (product and installation) so I want to give a benefit of a doubt to this company as they are highly rated overall and could just be this salesperson. I am having a bit of hassle chasing down a manager to get someone else (an installer?) to come out and confirm if we can move forward with a full frame bay window installation where 3 windows (casements and either fixed/awning in center) would be connected together in the bay rather than a big "bay" window. I would prefer these highly rated windows and this company is well known for their installations but sales people don't always have the answers.

This is the problem with salespeople rather than installers giving out quotations is that you might not get the straight answer until an installer comes out. I had another few companies where the owners who also install the windows supposedly didn't have any concerns and asked them how they measure the windows without taking the flashing off to do full frame and said they measure the angles and have done this sort of installation lots of times.

Anyway, if you look at these pictures below can the installers tell me if this is no problem to replace the windows full frame and how much flashing would there be on the edges, etc? I guess they would have to replace the flashing on the top with new cleaner flashing to upgrade its look but we wouldn't be able to make the window taller since there is probably a framing header there.

I'm wondering if there is a cantilever support of the window from the inside and that's supporting the roof above the window as there is a bulkhead inside the house above the window that is lower than the overall ceiling height. You can see if the left of the outside picture there is a support for the right hand part of the roof that goes over the front porch and that's 2x4 supports on either side of our front door.

The IMG tags are not working for some reason so I had to do URL links to google drive
Window from outside
Window from inside

Also, just an opinion question. We also have this window
Side window

and my wife and are at odds as to what to replace it with. She wants to do a fixed picture window on the left side and a casement/awning window on the right side when looking at it from inside (on the left side of the picture on the outside) in a 2/3 and 1/3 type of window as she claims it will make the house appear longer or something like that. I'm thinking aesthetically it looks better if the windows are split evenly as most people would do this whether it is a slider or two casement windows. We have our air conditioner unit on the wall beside this window (left side when looking from inside). Both will look better than this old aluminum window with the split on the bottom but I guess she's looking at the long window on the top. I would rather just have a big picture window and no ventilation but I guess this design is more modern look (for a 30s house?) I can understand 1/3 and 2/3 style window for sliders in a bedroom window going vertically but not horizontally.

Also, we have this window on the 2nd floor above the bay window and I'm wondering if this sill looks like it was painted concrete or something else? I'm wondering if something happened to the window sill and if I need to replace it or not? I think it is painted concrete and maybe I'll get the installer whomever it is to cap it a black aluminum so we don't have to maintain it, etc. I was asking in general if we had to replace our brick sills with the precast concrete or limestone but I guess the brick ones are in good shape and would add significant cost.
Upstairs front bedroom window

This window we will likely do two casement windows and a center picture window. ...but my wife thinks that one day our daughter may go out the front windows in the middle of the night when she's older (WTF? she's 3 now and this is like 13 years from now LOL and it would be a 15 foot drop likely). I know you can get limiters to prevent the casement window opening all the way and that will be good for her as a toddler and I guess when she's a teenager LOL I figure if we bring up our kids properly we shouldn't have to worry about stupidity like this.

Also what do you typically do with bathroom windows? Casement windows with frosting on it or double hung with frosting on the back? Currently it is a slider on the bottom with picture on the top like our bay window. Our bathrooms upstairs face another house across our driveway/laneway but there are no windows on that side of their house in that area but we can see a commercial property that may be zoned to a condo development at some point as the area is getting hotter and who knows who will be peaking in the window at that point. For our master bathroom we put a vinyl window (slider) previously used elsewhere in the house before we did a major reno in the space not thinking about frosting but I guess we could put it on the window later (film) or eventually replace the window but we thought it was in good shape so reuse it.

Thanks for the input
Jan 30, 2007
117 posts
89 upvotes
Any recommendations for a company in the Richmond Hill (GTA) area that sell Vinyl Guard windows?

Also any opinion on Weather Seal windows (sold by Fortress Windows and Doors)
Last edited by wineng on Aug 31st, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 6, 2014
103 posts
29 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
bolmsted wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 11:52 pm
We are in the process of quoting for some replacement windows for our house and we have started to narrow down a bit as we want to get them ordered so they can be installed before winter.

Anyway, we've had a few of the bigger companies out and one of them said that for our bay window at the front of the house that there are posts behind the trim/aluminum flashing between the three aluminum windows making up the bay and that they are supporting the overhang roof structure above the window.

We are looking at doing brick to brick (full-frame) installation of our windows instead of retrofit installation so we can maximize the amount of window area, insulate around the window, etc. I guess we'll end up removing the original trim and they said they could replace it with trim that looks the same with an apron, etc.

The salesperson from this company proceeded to give me a quote for retrofit/insert and full-frame/brick-to-brick installation anyway.

So we proceeded to have quotations by other companies and they didn't mention any concern with the front bay window being replaced with full frame installation but their windows may not be rated as good or as long of a warranty (product and installation) so I want to give a benefit of a doubt to this company as they are highly rated overall and could just be this salesperson. I am having a bit of hassle chasing down a manager to get someone else (an installer?) to come out and confirm if we can move forward with a full frame bay window installation where 3 windows (casements and either fixed/awning in center) would be connected together in the bay rather than a big "bay" window. I would prefer these highly rated windows and this company is well known for their installations but sales people don't always have the answers.

This is the problem with salespeople rather than installers giving out quotations is that you might not get the straight answer until an installer comes out. I had another few companies where the owners who also install the windows supposedly didn't have any concerns and asked them how they measure the windows without taking the flashing off to do full frame and said they measure the angles and have done this sort of installation lots of times.

Anyway, if you look at these pictures below can the installers tell me if this is no problem to replace the windows full frame and how much flashing would there be on the edges, etc? I guess they would have to replace the flashing on the top with new cleaner flashing to upgrade its look but we wouldn't be able to make the window taller since there is probably a framing header there.

I'm wondering if there is a cantilever support of the window from the inside and that's supporting the roof above the window as there is a bulkhead inside the house above the window that is lower than the overall ceiling height. You can see if the left of the outside picture there is a support for the right hand part of the roof that goes over the front porch and that's 2x4 supports on either side of our front door.

The IMG tags are not working for some reason so I had to do URL links to google drive
Window from outside
Window from inside

Also, just an opinion question. We also have this window
Side window

and my wife and are at odds as to what to replace it with. She wants to do a fixed picture window on the left side and a casement/awning window on the right side when looking at it from inside (on the left side of the picture on the outside) in a 2/3 and 1/3 type of window as she claims it will make the house appear longer or something like that. I'm thinking aesthetically it looks better if the windows are split evenly as most people would do this whether it is a slider or two casement windows. We have our air conditioner unit on the wall beside this window (left side when looking from inside). Both will look better than this old aluminum window with the split on the bottom but I guess she's looking at the long window on the top. I would rather just have a big picture window and no ventilation but I guess this design is more modern look (for a 30s house?) I can understand 1/3 and 2/3 style window for sliders in a bedroom window going vertically but not horizontally.

Also, we have this window on the 2nd floor above the bay window and I'm wondering if this sill looks like it was painted concrete or something else? I'm wondering if something happened to the window sill and if I need to replace it or not? I think it is painted concrete and maybe I'll get the installer whomever it is to cap it a black aluminum so we don't have to maintain it, etc. I was asking in general if we had to replace our brick sills with the precast concrete or limestone but I guess the brick ones are in good shape and would add significant cost.
Upstairs front bedroom window

This window we will likely do two casement windows and a center picture window. ...but my wife thinks that one day our daughter may go out the front windows in the middle of the night when she's older (WTF? she's 3 now and this is like 13 years from now LOL and it would be a 15 foot drop likely). I know you can get limiters to prevent the casement window opening all the way and that will be good for her as a toddler and I guess when she's a teenager LOL I figure if we bring up our kids properly we shouldn't have to worry about stupidity like this.

Also what do you typically do with bathroom windows? Casement windows with frosting on it or double hung with frosting on the back? Currently it is a slider on the bottom with picture on the top like our bay window. Our bathrooms upstairs face another house across our driveway/laneway but there are no windows on that side of their house in that area but we can see a commercial property that may be zoned to a condo development at some point as the area is getting hotter and who knows who will be peaking in the window at that point. For our master bathroom we put a vinyl window (slider) previously used elsewhere in the house before we did a major reno in the space not thinking about frosting but I guess we could put it on the window later (film) or eventually replace the window but we thought it was in good shape so reuse it.

Thanks for the input
Regarding your first question: yes no problem to do a complete frame replacement. Roof trusses are usually separate from the window. Retrofit installation would create a very bulky look.
And if the question casement verses slider?
Definitely casement
Dec 25, 2009
23 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
I have a warped stile on a vinyl slider window.

Not getting any responses from window businesses, suspect its too a small job. I'm not sure its a DIY.

Could anyone recommend an inexpensive repair service in North York or Toronto that I can bring in the window or have mobile service?
Thanks.
Images
  • Warped Window 1a.jpg
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2869 posts
770 upvotes
Paris
toro404 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 9:51 am
I have a warped stile on a vinyl slider window.

Not getting any responses from window businesses, suspect its too a small job. I'm not sure its a DIY.

Could anyone recommend an inexpensive repair service in North York or Toronto that I can bring in the window or have mobile service?
Thanks.
Is it warped or did someone pull on the window when it was shut or frozen too hard? I pulled the vinyl off my daughters window in her room before I replaced them when the window was tight and I was trying to get it open in a hurry. It would have looked like that before I jammed it back together.

I can't 100% see from the picture but if this is a lift out window you could take it to a glass place to have it fixed in about 1 hour. If its a tilt you just need to tilt it then angle it top to bottom to get it out.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Dec 25, 2009
23 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico, thanks for your advice and sharing your issue to help.

Sorry for the poor pic, but its evenly bowed in the middle so must conclude it was sun, and don't recall forced damage.
I believe its tilt style and won't have a problem removing it. When you say glass place, are you talking something like Speedy Auto Glass where they come do your windshield . Wondering if they have parts or what is involved?
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2005
2210 posts
230 upvotes
GTA
I just moved into my first home.

My guest washroom has a window in the shower.

I'm confused. The window frame is made up of wood. Won't this rot from using the shower with water splashed on the frame.

I haven't used it since I've moved in as I have a ensuite, but wondering if I should considering doing something about protecting it?

Thanks
306983.jpg
FS: Old school Nintendo Consoles
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=675445
FS:Sharp GF-777Z Classic Boombox Retro Ghetto Blaster 80s - the Holy Grail!
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=631904
ACTION 52 Nintendo NES Multi Game (COLLECTORS ITEM)
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/action-5 ... st13164059
Jun 7, 2010
129 posts
9 upvotes
Hello All Windows and Doors Experts,

I came across this article about an Ottawa area window manufacturer creating next generation windows/doors: http://ottawacitizen.com/life/homes/see ... technology.

Any competitors or engineers or subject matter experts care to comment on this?

Excerpt from the article:

A local window manufacturer is breaking new ground with a stronger, more energy-efficient frame that’s poised to become the standard in the near future. Verdun Windows & Doors is a Vars-based operation that’s been serving the Ottawa region since 1982, The company calls the product Window 4.0 .

This new type of window is called RevoCell. It uses what’s known as microcellular polyvinyl chloride (mPVC), a super-dense version of the more common PVC plastic. This year, Verdun became the first window maker in Canada to put such a product on the market.

Thanks.
May 11, 2011
325 posts
67 upvotes
Weston and Highway 7
usual disclaimer: I'm Phil Lewin, VP technical marketing for Vinyl Window designs Ltd. and a member of numerous industry technical committees.

This is a good technology, however the proof is in the performance. Unfortunately, I went to ENERGY STAR and only found one model of picture window with 5 glass options listed, so there is no verification from that source. It all comes down to a cost benefit. How competitive is the price? Does the performance justify it compared to other brands?

deadsea wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 2:26 pm
Hello All Windows and Doors Experts,

I came across this article about an Ottawa area window manufacturer creating next generation windows/doors: http://ottawacitizen.com/life/homes/see ... technology.

Any competitors or engineers or subject matter experts care to comment on this?

Excerpt from the article:

A local window manufacturer is breaking new ground with a stronger, more energy-efficient frame that’s poised to become the standard in the near future. Verdun Windows & Doors is a Vars-based operation that’s been serving the Ottawa region since 1982, The company calls the product Window 4.0 .

This new type of window is called RevoCell. It uses what’s known as microcellular polyvinyl chloride (mPVC), a super-dense version of the more common PVC plastic. This year, Verdun became the first window maker in Canada to put such a product on the market.

Thanks.
Jun 7, 2010
129 posts
9 upvotes
Thanks Phil. I can only speak on the pricing as they have stated that they are keeping pricing same as their previous generation windows (which they will be taking offline slowly).

Perhaps the windows/doors are too new to be evaluated by NRC/Enery Star?