Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2900 posts
787 upvotes
Paris
aZian_ wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 2:04 pm
I just moved into my first home.

My guest washroom has a window in the shower.

I'm confused. The window frame is made up of wood. Won't this rot from using the shower with water splashed on the frame.

I haven't used it since I've moved in as I have a ensuite, but wondering if I should considering doing something about protecting it?

Thanks

306983.jpg
I see this all the time in Kitchener. When we replace the windows we do vinyl windows with vinyl jambs and vinyl trim. If you are down to replace the window, you can buy window trim pieces from Lowe's (same stuff but cheaper then Depot) and retrim it yourself.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2900 posts
787 upvotes
Paris
toro404 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 10:32 am
Jerico, thanks for your advice and sharing your issue to help.

Sorry for the poor pic, but its evenly bowed in the middle so must conclude it was sun, and don't recall forced damage.
I believe its tilt style and won't have a problem removing it. When you say glass place, are you talking something like Speedy Auto Glass where they come do your windshield . Wondering if they have parts or what is involved?
No more like a custom glass place, not auto.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Jan 1, 2006
96 posts
5 upvotes
Markham
Hi All,

I had Brock, Clera and another company to me quotes on a Door (Single door 8' with a wrought-iron installation and 2 sidelights at 8").

Brock had far and away the highest quote at approximately 30 % more expensive over Clera. It seems like they have the same door with the same glass (they both will source from the same manufacturer). Anyone have feedback on either one of these companies and if its worth the $ to use Brock for the installation?

Secondly and more importantly, I am replacing 5 southward facing windows consisting of Casement and Fixed Windows.
Brock had far and away the highest quote at approximately 30 % more expensive over Clera again BUT Brock's price is brick to brick and Clera recommended I just do a Split Frame installation since it is a relatively new home (10 years).
  • What is the difference in efficiency for a Split Frame versus Brick to Brick Installation?
  • I am getting Triple Pane from Brock for free, but Clera's salesmen suggested that Triple Pane isn't typically worth it and cause more hassle due to its weight...thoughts?
Thanks!
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2900 posts
787 upvotes
Paris
timmee21 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 9:51 am
Hi All,

I had Brock, Clera and another company to me quotes on a Door (Single door 8' with a wrought-iron installation and 2 sidelights at 8").

Brock had far and away the highest quote at approximately 30 % more expensive over Clera. It seems like they have the same door with the same glass (they both will source from the same manufacturer). Anyone have feedback on either one of these companies and if its worth the $ to use Brock for the installation?

Secondly and more importantly, I am replacing 5 southward facing windows consisting of Casement and Fixed Windows.
Brock had far and away the highest quote at approximately 30 % more expensive over Clera again BUT Brock's price is brick to brick and Clera recommended I just do a Split Frame installation since it is a relatively new home (10 years).
  • What is the difference in efficiency for a Split Frame versus Brick to Brick Installation?
  • I am getting Triple Pane from Brock for free, but Clera's salesmen suggested that Triple Pane isn't typically worth it and cause more hassle due to its weight...thoughts?
Thanks!
Clera's ratings online through reviews are very low and their energy efficiency on natural resources canada as tested as not great either. Yes they are cheap but thats the extent of it.

Go brick to brick. Triple pane has been covered endlessly in this thread, no more than about 60 days ago (cant be more than 3-4 pages back).

Same door and same glass Brock and Clera? Who did they tell you manufactured it? Also, there are considerations with the jambs, its not just about the door slab.

Oct 6, 2014
103 posts
29 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
timmee21 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 9:51 am
Hi All,

Thanks!
The door must be installed with complete frame replacement no questions asked
Triple glass only if it 1'3)8 thickness unit and not 7/8.
Not going to suggest which company is to go with , otherwise this thread looks like advertising link
Jan 1, 2006
96 posts
5 upvotes
Markham
Thank you. Yeah I am leaning towards Brock even though they are more expensive. Will be checking on their warranty - if I don't have to worry about the windows for 25 years, a little more upfront cost for the comfort the new windows provide over all these years should be negilible.
May 11, 2011
325 posts
67 upvotes
Weston and Highway 7
Usual Disclaimer: I'm Phil Lewin - VP of tech marketing of Vinyl Window designs and a member of numerous industry NGO committees.

Adanac123 is correct, but I want to add an explanation. Start with a 7/8" OT double glazed window with Low E and Argon. Add another clear lite to turn it into a triple, but remain a 7/8" OT sealed unit. Your cost is higher by the clear lite. But, what you gain from the third lite is often less than what you lose in going from a single 1/2" or 5/8" air space to two 1/4" air spaces. It is an example of pay more, get less!
adanac123 wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 5:20 am
The door must be installed with complete frame replacement no questions asked
Triple glass only if it 1'3)8 thickness unit and not 7/8.
Not going to suggest which company is to go with , otherwise this thread looks like advertising link
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2005
4364 posts
1043 upvotes
Looking to replace my 7 basement windows (2'2" x 1'6"). any recommendations to who I should reach out to for some quotes in the west Mississauga area?
Thanks RFD for:

-Koodo $48 MB Plan 5GB
Aug 15, 2017
22 posts
4 upvotes
aZian_ wrote:

I'm confused. The window frame is made up of wood. Won't this rot from using the shower with water splashed on the frame.

I haven't used it since I've moved in as I have a ensuite, but wondering if I should considering doing something about protecting it?

Thanks

306983.jpg
Do you know if that is real wood or some kind of composite or faux wood? If it is real it will definitely crack and rot. You should have it replaced with something more moisture resistant.
May 10, 2007
91 posts
11 upvotes
I am looking for double glazed 5 foot patio door with mini-blinds. I want to install myself and am looking for a cash and carry door. I do not like the patio doors I have seen at any of the big box stores.
I am located in Toronto. What is a good make and where can I purchase it?

Thanks!
Dec 18, 2004
992 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
BenK wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 10:39 am
Looking to replace my 7 basement windows (2'2" x 1'6"). any recommendations to who I should reach out to for some quotes in the west Mississauga area?
I'll do it for 3k
Dec 18, 2004
992 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
aZian_ wrote:

Thanks

306983.jpg
You can use this or basic clear coat
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
1130 posts
175 upvotes
Hi,

Anyone know if a contractor in Scarborough that can help repair few windows. 1 Cracked and one with GAS leak

Thanks
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2005
4364 posts
1043 upvotes
TTony wrote:
Sep 27th, 2017 9:12 pm
I'll do it for 3k
details?
Thanks RFD for:

-Koodo $48 MB Plan 5GB
Mar 6, 2017
38 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hi,
Does anyone know a contractor in Scarborough or Toronto who fixes or installs new bug screens in the windows? Every window in our house has one, but some of them started cracking and it is impossible to remove them when we want to wash the windows. Any idea how much it could cost (2 stories, 3 bedrooms)

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)