Home & Garden

[Merged] Windows/Doors

Jul 14, 2009
385 posts
4 upvotes
Hi guys
We just bought our first house, we close mid November. The windows are single pane original since 1987. Im looking to see if companies still will replace windows at that time. Also which affordable yet reputable companies u guys recommend to get a quote from.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2895 posts
784 upvotes
Paris
Trini100 wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 10:04 am
Hi guys
We just bought our first house, we close mid November. The windows are single pane original since 1987. Im looking to see if companies still will replace windows at that time. Also which affordable yet reputable companies u guys recommend to get a quote from.

Thanks
Our crews worked everyday in February 2017. Every single day. If you close in November and want them earlier then you need to go in and measure inside trim to inside trim, take a few pictures and send out for quote pending final measurements. Keep in mind from order date to install can easily be 4-8 weeks.

Also, need an area to be able to recommend anyone.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
1999 posts
235 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 10:30 am
....Also, need an area to be able to recommend anyone.
What companies do you recommend in 416 east of Yonge St?
Jul 14, 2009
385 posts
4 upvotes
Jerico wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 10:30 am
Also, need an area to be able to recommend anyone.
It's in Ajax.... so I guess I should get them in February or when the weather is warmer.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2895 posts
784 upvotes
Paris
Trini100 wrote:
Oct 1st, 2017 6:45 pm
It's in Ajax.... so I guess I should get them in February or when the weather is warmer.
Windows can take a while, sometimes as long as 3 months with some companies. So ordering now plus Christmas could put you into January.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Dec 2, 2012
42 posts
5 upvotes
Hi guys,

I've read through as much of this thread as I could ingest and searched through all the key words. Wanted to see what you guys think.

I'm planning to change my windows and patio door as the house I'm planning to purchase is fairly old (30-ish years).

I've gone through the motions and received 5 or so quotes for the entire project. I've limited it down to two companies, I'll keep the names of the company out, but their vendors are: KV (previously linked to Oran) and either Sunrise (couldn't find information) and Vinyl-Pro.

Both are spec'd at double pane, argon and super spacer. KV is low-e 2 and Vinyl-Pro (or Sunrise, but I think it's Vinyl) is low-e 180.

I guess my question is, given if I have a fairly comparable quote from both companies, which vendor would you guys choose? For reference, I live in the Markham/Richmond Hill area which should be zone 2.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.
Aug 14, 2013
6 posts
Winnipeg
Got a quote for Gentek LoE windows that is 1000 cheaper than the Milgard windows, has anyone had Gentek window experience specifically Barrier XP SC Plus which is Cardinal’s 366 LoE, I've seen one bad review on this forum from 2009 but hoping they have improved their product at this point. The contractor is coming to final measurements Saturday and I'm doubting going with this brand now.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2895 posts
784 upvotes
Paris
felixpau wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 11:26 pm
Hi guys,

I've read through as much of this thread as I could ingest and searched through all the key words. Wanted to see what you guys think.

I'm planning to change my windows and patio door as the house I'm planning to purchase is fairly old (30-ish years).

I've gone through the motions and received 5 or so quotes for the entire project. I've limited it down to two companies, I'll keep the names of the company out, but their vendors are: KV (previously linked to Oran) and either Sunrise (couldn't find information) and Vinyl-Pro.

Both are spec'd at double pane, argon and super spacer. KV is low-e 2 and Vinyl-Pro (or Sunrise, but I think it's Vinyl) is low-e 180.

I guess my question is, given if I have a fairly comparable quote from both companies, which vendor would you guys choose? For reference, I live in the Markham/Richmond Hill area which should be zone 2.

All other things being equal, I would go with LoE 180 glass and I would LOOK at the window. What do the seams look like? If its a mulled unit (multiple seperate windows into one opening) what does the connector look like? Is the hardware multipoint locks and nesting handles on casements?

Check the actual performance of the glass, and the overall windows on the natural resources canada webpage.

Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2895 posts
784 upvotes
Paris
Arshagill wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 10:46 am
Got a quote for Gentek LoE windows that is 1000 cheaper than the Milgard windows, has anyone had Gentek window experience specifically Barrier XP SC Plus which is Cardinal’s 366 LoE, I've seen one bad review on this forum from 2009 but hoping they have improved their product at this point. The contractor is coming to final measurements Saturday and I'm doubting going with this brand now.
I am not a fan of Gentek windows fit and finish nor frames. I can't say Ive seen a newer version past 2014 though either, but I doubt they have changed.

Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2004
2357 posts
132 upvotes
felixpau wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 11:26 pm
Hi guys,
I went through this process same time last year, and selected KV for both windows and doors. I am satisfied with both the installation experience and the product. While long term reliability is still too early to tell, you can PM me if you have specific questions.

BTW, do not rule out fiberglass windows, if budget permits. When I was pricing them out last year, Inline Fiberglass pricing were on par with big name vinyl brands, or those that spend a lot on advertising.
Dec 2, 2012
42 posts
5 upvotes
Thanks shup ahoy!

I'll take a look at that option as well.
Jan 11, 2008
145 posts
28 upvotes
Hi, looking for recommendations for windows and installer in Burlington area. Need to replace whole home windows, patio door. Original 1987 Pollard's are in need of replacement.

Thanks.
Feb 17, 2005
229 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
I'm looking for recommendations as well for windows and installation in Thornhill hear Bayview and Steeles. I'm looking to do 6 second floor windows at a minimum and potentially 6 more large ones on the first floor. Thanks in advance!!
Oct 16, 2017
1 posts
Looking for a reputable installer in this forum that wishes to contact me regarding the replacement of three basement windows in Vaughan area.
Oct 17, 2017
17 posts
1 upvote
I've read what feels like hundreds of great pages on this thread, and hope for some advice. We have old 50's single glass storm windows that we are looking to replace. We got three quotes done to replace 5 windows:
  1. North Star (Brock) - Outside colour, triple pane (it was "free" and no discount offered for double), hard coating. Full frame install. $5500
  2. Ostaco windows (Dundas West Windows) - Outside colour, double pane, Low-e 272, Full frame install. $6500
  3. Vinyl Pro (Eco Choice) - Outside colour, double pane, Low-e 272, Retrofit install. $3000.

I'm leaning towards Brock and the North Star windows as I've read they are widely used, have good price/quality ratio plus are a more cost effective full frame option. My only issue is that they seem to really push their triple pane and as a lot of you pointed out it adds to the weight, may cause issues with the frame and is not really that much more insulating. Since it's a "free" promo they don't want to discount the double pane. What would you do? Should i just treat it as a free upgrade, or try to find an installer of North Star windows that will do double pane for cheaper? I'm in the GTA.

Thank you!