[Merged] Windows/Doors

Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2857 posts
765 upvotes
Paris
ishamron wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 4:02 pm
I've read what feels like hundreds of great pages on this thread, and hope for some advice. We have old 50's single glass storm windows that we are looking to replace. We got three quotes done to replace 5 windows:
  1. North Star (Brock) - Outside colour, triple pane (it was "free" and no discount offered for double), hard coating. Full frame install. $5500
  2. Ostaco windows (Dundas West Windows) - Outside colour, double pane, Low-e 272, Full frame install. $6500
  3. Vinyl Pro (Eco Choice) - Outside colour, double pane, Low-e 272, Retrofit install. $3000.

I'm leaning towards Brock and the North Star windows as I've read they are widely used, have good price/quality ratio plus are a more cost effective full frame option. My only issue is that they seem to really push their triple pane and as a lot of you pointed out it adds to the weight, may cause issues with the frame and is not really that much more insulating. Since it's a "free" promo they don't want to discount the double pane. What would you do? Should i just treat it as a free upgrade, or try to find an installer of North Star windows that will do double pane for cheaper? I'm in the GTA.

Thank you!
1) you are right to stay away from retros. Full frame is usually the best option.
2) call some North Star dealers with your measurements. They should be able to tell you over the phone pretty close
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Oct 17, 2017
16 posts
Jerico wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 4:19 pm
2) call some North Star dealers with your measurements. They should be able to tell you over the phone pretty close
Will do! I did just double check and there are only 3 other installers according to North Star site, and they seem to be much smaller (will they even be around to honour the 25 year warrant?) I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2857 posts
765 upvotes
Paris
ishamron wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 4:30 pm
Will do! I did just double check and there are only 3 other installers according to North Star site, and they seem to be much smaller (will they even be around to honour the 25 year warrant?) I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.
The installers dont honour the warranty... North Star does directly.

Check into VinylGuard windows as well. As good as NorthStar and with a better warranty and same price.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Jan 2, 2007
164 posts
45 upvotes
Kitchener, Ontario
Does anyone have any comments on Canadian Choice Windows & Doors? They told me they manufacture their own windows but I can't seem to validate that. I'm looking for a patio door and 1 casement window.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2857 posts
765 upvotes
Paris
Cyc66 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2017 1:49 pm
Does anyone have any comments on Canadian Choice Windows & Doors? They told me they manufacture their own windows but I can't seem to validate that. I'm looking for a patio door and 1 casement window.
Their website looks like a generic cut and paste windows and doors website. What's their glass ratings like?

Jan 2, 2007
164 posts
45 upvotes
Kitchener, Ontario
Jerico wrote:
Oct 24th, 2017 4:05 pm
Their website looks like a generic cut and paste windows and doors website. What's their glass ratings like?
Here's the info from the flyer:
Oct 6, 2014
103 posts
29 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
ishamron wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 4:30 pm
Brock windows not only the biggest dealer of "northstar" they are in partnership with them.
Oct 6, 2014
103 posts
29 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Jerico wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 5:05 pm
The installers dont honour the warranty... North Star does directly.

Check into VinylGuard windows as well. As good as NorthStar and with a better warranty and same price.
Jerico Are u working for Vinylguard windows? On many occasions your are trying to advertise this company?
Oct 6, 2014
103 posts
29 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Cyc66 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2017 1:49 pm
Last time I worked for them was a long time ago , at that time they weren't, but they are a very big dealership across Canada. I believe that window manufacture they are dealing with is "Hometech Windows" . I heard that they are affiliated with them as partners. Don't know about the sliding door.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2857 posts
765 upvotes
Paris
adanac123 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 5:40 am
Jerico Are u working for Vinylguard windows? On many occasions your are trying to advertise this company?
I like them best but don't work for them no. Best mix of price vs fit and finish vs long term warranty. The only difference between them and North Star is that VG includes labour in their warranty for life, and doesn't cost $113 to transfer the warranty when you sell the house.

North Star should plug that gap in my opinion.

Jun 7, 2010
129 posts
9 upvotes
Jerico wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 4:19 pm
1) you are right to stay away from retros. Full frame is usually the best option.
Jerico, would you mind expanding on the difference between retrofit vs frame install? I in the planning stages of replace 20 windows and wouldn't mind knowing/learning the details.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2368 posts
537 upvotes
Newmarket
Few questions to the experts.

1) Black vinyl windows - how is the colour achieved, I have called one company (Brown Windows) which said the outside is a paint which is baked onto the vinyl, and inside paint is spray on. I was under impression that the vinyl itself will be already coloured, therefore there wouldn't be any issues with peeling, chipping and so on. Are there manufacturers which are using different methods for the windows which have a good quality to cost ratio. We want to purchase black inside and out. Brown told us they do outside black and inside white, inside black would be much more expensive.

2) Our contractor is suggesting Brown Windows due to value to cost ratio. The more I am reading the more I see that the opinions are generally very poor about this company and I am getting concerned. I have a feeling we are being charged custom window pricing for builder quality windows and sliding doors. We have quite a bit to purchase:
2 sliding doors: W x H :11.6x8 and 9.2 x 8),
2 glass walls : stationary glass, doesn't open 11 x 8 and 4.4 x 8
13 windows (3x4, 6.8x6, 6.8x5, 5.2x5, 2x7, 2x7, 2x4, 2.10x4, and 4 windows 2x4).

I am going through the thread and with so much info it is getting overwhelming, which companies should we consider as alternative for budget yet good quality (Brock, Vinilbit, ? What is the ball park we should expect to pay if purchased through the contractor, and then cost of install. This is for a new built home.
Thanks
Jun 7, 2010
129 posts
9 upvotes
I am also looking at VinylBilt windows for my project. VinylBilt has three lines: Platinum and Diamond, what are the major differences between the two? I can see that the diamond series has the highest ER of 40 with Platinum having 36 and they are both for zone 1,2, and 3.

In addition, I am looking at Hometech and Dayside windows as well. How do Vinylbilt windows compare to Hometech/Dayside?
Dec 11, 2005
549 posts
7 upvotes
Not many Vancouver posts on here... Anyone have any hints on where to start looking in the Vancouver area?
I am doing a new build and expect to use vinyl windows with black mullions inside and out.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2857 posts
765 upvotes
Paris
deadsea wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 10:12 am
Jerico, would you mind expanding on the difference between retrofit vs frame install? I in the planning stages of replace 20 windows and wouldn't mind knowing/learning the details.
Retrofits - remove old wood windows and LEAVE the frame of the window and the existing trim on. Stick a new 3-1/4" window into the gap and trim the outside with aluminum capping and the inside with quarter round (or just caulk it if you are lazy). Disadvantage is that the trim doesnt come off so whatever is in there for insulation, is in there. If wood is rotten you cant see, it remains rotten. You have 2 caulking lines to deal with. Windows are smaller (as they are placed inside the old windows). Advantages: its cheaper, and if you have a really old house you can keep existing trim

Full frame - Everything comes out back to the 2x4 or 2x6 and brick or siding outside and everything is new and foamed. Its more money, but worth it for any house newer than about 1946.