Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2861 posts
766 upvotes
Paris
Homerhomer wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 10:38 am
Few questions to the experts.

1) Black vinyl windows - how is the colour achieved, I have called one company (Brown Windows) which said the outside is a paint which is baked onto the vinyl, and inside paint is spray on. I was under impression that the vinyl itself will be already coloured, therefore there wouldn't be any issues with peeling, chipping and so on. Are there manufacturers which are using different methods for the windows which have a good quality to cost ratio. We want to purchase black inside and out. Brown told us they do outside black and inside white, inside black would be much more expensive.

2) Our contractor is suggesting Brown Windows due to value to cost ratio. The more I am reading the more I see that the opinions are generally very poor about this company and I am getting concerned. I have a feeling we are being charged custom window pricing for builder quality windows and sliding doors. We have quite a bit to purchase:
2 sliding doors: W x H :11.6x8 and 9.2 x 8),
2 glass walls : stationary glass, doesn't open 11 x 8 and 4.4 x 8
13 windows (3x4, 6.8x6, 6.8x5, 5.2x5, 2x7, 2x7, 2x4, 2.10x4, and 4 windows 2x4).

I am going through the thread and with so much info it is getting overwhelming, which companies should we consider as alternative for budget yet good quality (Brock, Vinilbit, ? What is the ball park we should expect to pay if purchased through the contractor, and then cost of install. This is for a new built home.
Thanks
Colour on windows and doors is no longer achieved with coloured vinyl for the vast majority of companies. Most of that died with the 2007 recession. Most (not all, most) paint the windows now and you are correct, inside is a LOT more money as there is more risk of you scrapping it off while removing screens etc.

No idea on Brown windows and doors. Builders will upcharge custom windows by a whole bunch, no way around that.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2861 posts
766 upvotes
Paris
deadsea wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 11:00 am
I am also looking at VinylBilt windows for my project. VinylBilt has three lines: Platinum and Diamond, what are the major differences between the two? I can see that the diamond series has the highest ER of 40 with Platinum having 36 and they are both for zone 1,2, and 3.

In addition, I am looking at Hometech and Dayside windows as well. How do Vinylbilt windows compare to Hometech/Dayside?
VinylBilt has about 15 different lines under various names. Platinum is the best mix of cost/value for products built under their own name. Diamond windows are better left when you want wood look stain inside, or need an architectural casement window that opens. I used to really like VB's Platinum windows but in the last 6-8 months those I have seen just aren't at the same quality as what they were building even a year ago. Weld joints look messier, overall fit and finish has declined. I don't know why.

As for comparing windows, get the stats sheet on the specific windows you plan on buying and compare them. U value, solar heat gain co-efficient (SHGC) and air infiltration are the ones I look at the most. Also warranty terms and conditions (not just high level) and if they include labour and transfer costs to the next owners of your house.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2369 posts
537 upvotes
Newmarket
Jerico wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 2:16 pm
Colour on windows and doors is no longer achieved with coloured vinyl for the vast majority of companies. Most of that died with the 2007 recession. Most (not all, most) paint the windows now and you are correct, inside is a LOT more money as there is more risk of you scrapping it off while removing screens etc.

No idea on Brown windows and doors. Builders will upcharge custom windows by a whole bunch, no way around that.
Thanks Jerico, much appreciated.
Are you familiar with cardinal glass, and it's importance or quality as part of the window, the sales rep seemed to be pretty proud of it and obviously claimed to be state of the art. Apparently this is what they use.
This particular company has 2 years warranty on hardware, 5 years for seals, and 20 years for glass. This seems pretty short especially for hardware, is it not?
Jun 7, 2010
129 posts
9 upvotes
Jerico wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 2:20 pm
VinylBilt has about 15 different lines under various names. Platinum is the best mix of cost/value for products built under their own name. Diamond windows are better left when you want wood look stain inside, or need an architectural casement window that opens. I used to really like VB's Platinum windows but in the last 6-8 months those I have seen just aren't at the same quality as what they were building even a year ago. Weld joints look messier, overall fit and finish has declined. I don't know why.

As for comparing windows, get the stats sheet on the specific windows you plan on buying and compare them. U value, solar heat gain co-efficient (SHGC) and air infiltration are the ones I look at the most. Also warranty terms and conditions (not just high level) and if they include labour and transfer costs to the next owners of your house.
Thanks Jerico! Appreciate your feedback on this.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2861 posts
766 upvotes
Paris
Homerhomer wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 3:36 pm
Thanks Jerico, much appreciated.
Are you familiar with cardinal glass, and it's importance or quality as part of the window, the sales rep seemed to be pretty proud of it and obviously claimed to be state of the art. Apparently this is what they use.
This particular company has 2 years warranty on hardware, 5 years for seals, and 20 years for glass. This seems pretty short especially for hardware, is it not?
Cardinal is GM... they make all kinds of levels of glass just as GM makes Corvettes and Chevettes. Cardinal does make some nice spec glass but be sure of what you are getting.

The warranty seems very very short.

Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2369 posts
537 upvotes
Newmarket
Jerico wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 8:22 pm
Cardinal is GM... they make all kinds of levels of glass just as GM makes Corvettes and Chevettes. Cardinal does make some nice spec glass but be sure of what you are getting.

The warranty seems very very short.
thank you.
We went to Brown Windows showroom and have at this moment dismissed them as a supplier.
The second supplier our contractor has sent us to was Casa Bella.
If we go with them it will be Architectural Plus grade, which is middle of their range. Visually they looked much better than Brown's, they have life time warranty on glass, vinyl and hardware with the first two years covering both labour and material, and after that material is covered, labour is not. I have spec sheet, but in all honesty I do not follow all that.
Do you have an opinion on this company and their mid range product? Reviews on other sides are usually positive, they have been mentioned few times in this thread mostly few years ago and couple of posters seem to dislike them like a plaque (although not sure if the posters referred to all their products across each line, or the cheapest level which indeed does look very cheap).
Thanks for the help.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2861 posts
766 upvotes
Paris
Homerhomer wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 5:47 pm
thank you.
We went to Brown Windows showroom and have at this moment dismissed them as a supplier.
The second supplier our contractor has sent us to was Casa Bella.
If we go with them it will be Architectural Plus grade, which is middle of their range. Visually they looked much better than Brown's, they have life time warranty on glass, vinyl and hardware with the first two years covering both labour and material, and after that material is covered, labour is not. I have spec sheet, but in all honesty I do not follow all that.
Do you have an opinion on this company and their mid range product? Reviews on other sides are usually positive, they have been mentioned few times in this thread mostly few years ago and couple of posters seem to dislike them like a plaque (although not sure if the posters referred to all their products across each line, or the cheapest level which indeed does look very cheap).
Thanks for the help.
I'm sorry I dont know much about them. Look at the windows to see if they have simple things like folding nesting handles and multipoint locks on their casements (the crank out style) and how their screens are set in. What is in the centre of the glass? (If aluminum, avoid)

Jan 2, 2007
164 posts
45 upvotes
Kitchener, Ontario
Any thoughts about self-cleaning windows? I'm thinking about it for the upstairs/hard to reach windows. I'm not expecting miracles but if they can stay cleaner longer I'd be happy.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2861 posts
766 upvotes
Paris
Cyc66 wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 11:45 am
Any thoughts about self-cleaning windows? I'm thinking about it for the upstairs/hard to reach windows. I'm not expecting miracles but if they can stay cleaner longer I'd be happy.
Glass is a porous surface with many little "pits" that catch dirt. Self cleaning windows are a treatment to smooth out the glass on the outside so it's harder for dirt to stick to them and in theory the rain will more easily wash the dirt off. Over time, that coating will wear down. You are better off with casement windows that you can reach ethier side of or tilting sliding or hung windows that tilt in for cleaning.

Apr 28, 2010
41 posts
25 upvotes
Pickering, Ontario
My sister recently bought a place in Sandy Cove - near Barrie - when I visited her it was established that she still had original windows from 1979 - which are in poor shape and drafty as hell - If she could afford it I would advocate Northstar Windows installed by Brock which I have had for 15 years - but it would be a hardship - I am considering recommending she try this http://www.cloudythenclear.com/ - but I have no experience with them.

Do any of the users here have experience with them? - or if you are a window professional do you find the concept valid? I am not looking for the best solution - I am looking for an affordable one that may give her 10 years as she does not have the income at this time to afford all new windows. I have also looked at http://www.magnetitecanada.com/ as a low cost alternative as well.

Opinions?
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2861 posts
766 upvotes
Paris
brucemcl777 wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 12:03 pm
My sister recently bought a place in Sandy Cove - near Barrie - when I visited her it was established that she still had original windows from 1979 - which are in poor shape and drafty as hell - If she could afford it I would advocate Northstar Windows installed by Brock which I have had for 15 years - but it would be a hardship - I am considering recommending she try this http://www.cloudythenclear.com/ - but I have no experience with them.

Do any of the users here have experience with them? - or if you are a window professional do you find the concept valid? I am not looking for the best solution - I am looking for an affordable one that may give her 10 years as she does not have the income at this time to afford all new windows. I have also looked at http://www.magnetitecanada.com/ as a low cost alternative as well.

Opinions?
Replacing the sealed units is a valid choice assuming a lot of things. If the windows are drafty my guess is the interlock between the moving sashs of a sliding or hung window are shot and if so replacing glass will do nothing. I suppose the real question is where the drafts are coming from.

As for the storm window guys I have heard that is not that cheap an option but only know one person that had it quoted and I don't know who it was that quoted (but it looks like the link you included)

Jan 27, 2013
419 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
Any opinions on Magic Windows? Price is not a factor... Just looking for the best.

I Ike how they're fully Canadian and soon have any cranks on the windows.

Looking forward to replies. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2730 posts
386 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
kingtosh82 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 8:06 am
Any opinions on Magic Windows? Price is not a factor... Just looking for the best.

I Ike how they're fully Canadian and soon have any cranks on the windows.

Looking forward to replies. Thanks.
I got quoted from them. They look really nice, convincingly better than anything anyone else offers. Price is way out of my league, like 50% higher than Brock. Would have bought if I could afford it. Price is is hard to compare because it's on a different standard from anything else.
signature removed for inappropriate content
Nov 2, 2017
1 posts
I got a what looks like a good deal on windows (asked for Energy star ratings) from a fairly reputable manufacturer through a dedicated sales channel (with reasonable ratings on Home Stars). They offer lifetime warranty on both windows and installation. The problem is that the salesperson said the Energy Star labels will not be applied to the windows. Am I getting screwed? Why would they do this? And they have not given us the model # of the windows, or anything like that, just a generic contract.
Thanks a million!
Last edited by irenegreen13 on Nov 3rd, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
1425 posts
231 upvotes
Hey all, tons of great information here. I am replacing a patio door with 2 sidelights, its 100"wide, which is not a custom size it seems. Any idea how much it would cost for a triple french style patio door? or maybe a large 2 pane slider (with each door being 50")

just looking for ballpark figures before i go to see if pricing it out is worthwhile. 2k? 5k? 10k?

thanks