Home & Garden

[Merged] Windows/Doors

Oct 6, 2014
231 posts
59 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
MareCognitum wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 3:16 pm
What's the going opinion on MagicWindows? Seems pricey but they justify it by all the fancy stuff that makes their windows better. Any opinions?
Totally agree with Jerico.
Very flimsy structure, and malfunction hardware.
Plus is very overpriced considering the quality of the product!
Nov 18, 2017
53 posts
13 upvotes
Interesting that you say it's flimsy, because what the salespeople push is the steel that reinforces the vinyl. All hooey?
Feb 10, 2018
5 posts
Ottawa
Is Gentek Regency a good product? How it is compared to Northstar or Armor? Thanks
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4954 posts
1674 upvotes
Paris
MareCognitum wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 5:11 am
Interesting that you say it's flimsy, because what the salespeople push is the steel that reinforces the vinyl. All hooey?
They need steel to reinforce their crappy vinyl.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Oct 6, 2014
231 posts
59 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
MareCognitum wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 9:35 pm
What about Ross Windows and Doors?
I've never heard about them, but looks that they are manufacturing wood clad windows. Also very minimal information about this company in term of product specs.
Oct 6, 2014
231 posts
59 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
dragonru wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 7:40 am
Is Gentek Regency a good product? How it is compared to Northstar or Armor? Thanks
I did installed them before. Nothing special average vynyl Window very comparable to the Northstar. Lacking accessories, outdated in my opinion. Same for armor. All 3 of them never changed : same profile, hardware, glass. We r in 2018 and most manufacturers don't want to make a step towards changing.
Additional to that Northstar using Vinyl with blueish color tone ( don't like it at all) .
Out of those 3 , probably Armour
Sep 3, 2012
15 posts
So far I got below mentioned quotes for brick to brick installation of 16 windows and a patio door

Not decided yet and waiting for few more contractors to provide their estimate

Quote#1 Climate Windows and Doors - Costco
Total around 17k including tax before rebate

Quote#2

Total $8900 includes everything Cash payment
40% deposit and balance on day of installation
No rebate as contractor is not a participating contractor
Quote#2 Climate Windows and Doors - Costco
Feb 3, 2018
7 posts
jbond7 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 3:24 pm
So far I got below mentioned quotes for brick to brick installation of 16 windows and a patio door

Not decided yet and waiting for few more contractors to provide their estimate

Quote#1 Climate Windows and Doors - Costco

Quote#2

Total $8900 includes everything Cash payment
40% deposit and balance on day of installation
No rebate as contractor is not a participating contractor
Quote#2 Climate Windows and Doors - Costco
What are your window size? Thanks.
May 31, 2017
113 posts
17 upvotes
So we're biting the bullet and getting the windows replaced. Hopefully installed in April or so.

But man - are window companies super busy these days because of the rebate? It seems that from all the companies I contacted about getting quotes, they just wouldn't get back to me, or they did at first and then just disappeared when I followed up.

Assuming the rebate goes through, we only end up spending an extra $600-$1000 compared to the original quotes we got pre-rebate, and the windows are much more efficient. So yay!
Oct 6, 2014
231 posts
59 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
dragonru wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 9:57 am
Do you have an opinion on VWD windows? Thanks
They have nice product 4"1/2 frame with built-in screen system. Also they have product line called " majestic" , not bad !!
Oct 6, 2014
231 posts
59 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
breads wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 8:22 pm
So we're biting the bullet and getting the windows replaced. Hopefully installed in April or so.

But man - are window companies super busy these days because of the rebate? It seems that from all the companies I contacted about getting quotes, they just wouldn't get back to me, or they did at first and then just disappeared when I followed up.

Assuming the rebate goes through, we only end up spending an extra $600-$1000 compared to the original quotes we got pre-rebate, and the windows are much more efficient. So yay!
So what's your question?
Oct 6, 2014
231 posts
59 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Tomato228 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 3:23 pm
How about KV wondow? any comment? Thanks.
Fairly new business. They are used to call "Oran windows", permanently closed due to a partners disagreements ( as they say). The bottom line I wouldn't trust them .