[Merged] Windows/Doors

Oct 6, 2014
231 posts
59 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Jerico wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2018 11:49 pm
The top you cant see? Doesn’t need caulking on the inside casing
Why not? For esthetic reason. One place you should avoid caulking at all costs is the window’s weep hole.
Oct 6, 2014
231 posts
59 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
kasm wrote:
Mar 6th, 2018 12:10 am
I have a question regarding climate zones. I live in the GTA and when I go to the NRCAN website to find out what zone I am in, it shows me zone 2 as indicated in in this website and picture:
http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/energy-zones-climatiques/

nrcanmap.jpg

I just got a quote for Vinyl Pro windows and I believe they are suggesting double pane casements that are only rated for zone 1. In the vinylpro brochure, they have a different map defining GTA as part of zone 1 - see page 6:
http://www.vinyl-pro.ca/wp-content/uplo ... yl-pro.pdf

Vinylpromap.jpg

This has me quite concerned. Any thoughts?

We r in the zone 2. I would request for window to be at list for our zone. If you are looking for rebates ? Windows must qualify for zone 3.
Sep 9, 2008
569 posts
107 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm looking to upgrade (2) basement single pane windows with awning windows. The size of the window is ~ 39.5" W x 16.5" H and I would like to have the awning window open full 90 deg so that it can be used as an egress. Are there awning windows that have this 90deg opening feature which would also qualify for the GreenON refund? All I see is like 30-40 deg opening with a scissor operator in the middle.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
5073 posts
1746 upvotes
Paris
adanac123 wrote:
Mar 6th, 2018 6:02 am
Why not? For esthetic reason. One place you should avoid caulking at all costs is the window’s weep hole.
You don’t see it, doesn’t need it. Caulking casing is all esthetics. That being said, where possible, I would caulk the top. Sometimes window is too tight to the ceiling to do it and it’s a pain but I finger caulk it personally.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
5073 posts
1746 upvotes
Paris
Szharkov wrote:
Mar 6th, 2018 9:37 am
I'm looking to upgrade (2) basement single pane windows with awning windows. The size of the window is ~ 39.5" W x 16.5" H and I would like to have the awning window open full 90 deg so that it can be used as an egress. Are there awning windows that have this 90deg opening feature which would also qualify for the GreenON refund? All I see is like 30-40 deg opening with a scissor operator in the middle.
Should be. You need egress hardware on the awning.

Edit: I don’t think 16.5” is large enough for egress though I am not sure. I didn’t think it would be smaller than 24” in any one dimension.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Sep 9, 2008
569 posts
107 upvotes
Mississauga
Jerico wrote:
Mar 6th, 2018 4:15 pm
Should be. You need egress hardware on the awning.

Edit: I don’t think 16.5” is large enough for egress though I am not sure. I didn’t think it would be smaller than 24” in any one dimension.
Looks like 15" is min.

Jun 3, 2015
31 posts
5 upvotes
Ajax, ON
Im looking at VWD windows 100 Series Triple glazed. I dont see LowE 1, 2 or 3 coating like other manufactures.

They have "Solar Gain LOW E Glass" and it is the only glass on double and triple. is equivalent to LowE 1?
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2006
1062 posts
29 upvotes
I just got a quote from a company that uses windows made by Euro Vinyl Windowsand Doors http://www.evw.ca/.

Can anyone offer any feedback on their quality, etc?
Oct 6, 2014
231 posts
59 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
DealHunter100 wrote:
Mar 6th, 2018 10:17 pm
Im looking at VWD windows 100 Series Triple glazed. I dont see LowE 1, 2 or 3 coating like other manufactures.

They have "Solar Gain LOW E Glass" and it is the only glass on double and triple. is equivalent to LowE 1?
They do have LOW-E 180, 272, 366 like others. Solar gain meaning glass will more transparent, LOW-E 366 being less .
Oct 6, 2014
231 posts
59 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Szharkov wrote:
Mar 6th, 2018 4:56 pm
Looks like 15" is min.

That's right, the only thing it very between city requirements.
Jun 3, 2015
31 posts
5 upvotes
Ajax, ON
adanac123 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 6:27 am
They do have LOW-E 180, 272, 366 like others. Solar gain meaning glass will more transparent, LOW-E 366 being less .
Thanks for the reply , their website does not say anything about Low-Es.. only solar gain and how it reflects sun and keeps the heat inside the house.
Dec 23, 2010
139 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
I have six 14 x 37 windows in my basement, how much should I ballpark for each?
Aug 25, 2010
155 posts
36 upvotes
mississauga
kasm wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2018 8:24 am
How does everyone feel about patio sliders that have built in mini blinds (ie - between the panes of glass) - good idea or not?
also want to know.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2007
1124 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto
max1234 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 6:37 pm
also want to know.
From what I gathered, you can still have LoE coating but not Argon. The blinds themselves add an additional R rating for insulation, so performance is comparable to sliding doors without the blinds. The majority of failures are simply misalignment of the magnetic mechanism that is used to open and close the blinds, which is easily fixable. Failures are also not a big issue if you have a solid warranty. The benefits are that we can get rid of our bulky California Shutters and the blinds never need cleaning. Therefore, we are planning on going with them when we change our sliding door. Just make sure you get the one with LoE coating.

Also they are very beneficial if you have pets or small children.

Here is a site with some owner feedback: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/95001 ... -in-blinds
Aug 25, 2010
155 posts
36 upvotes
mississauga
adanac123 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 4:47 am
We cover this topic on many occasions with in this thread.
Ok one more time:
Your question if it worth going with triple pane?
Yes it is , but only if a company have 1"3/8 glass unit. And absolutely not, if they have 7/8.
There is a big difference in term of energy efficiency compare to a double glass, but again I'll repeat my self only if it 1"3/8
Noise reduction also a factor
And of course, because of the weight , company must use heavy duty hardware available from "Truth"
how to find out which company using VWD products ? thanks

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)