Home & Garden

[Merged] Windows/Doors

Aug 25, 2010
118 posts
28 upvotes
mississauga
adanac123 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 4:47 am
We cover this topic on many occasions with in this thread.
Ok one more time:
Your question if it worth going with triple pane?
Yes it is , but only if a company have 1"3/8 glass unit. And absolutely not, if they have 7/8.
There is a big difference in term of energy efficiency compare to a double glass, but again I'll repeat my self only if it 1"3/8
Noise reduction also a factor
And of course, because of the weight , company must use heavy duty hardware available from "Truth"
how to find out which company using VWD products ? thanks
Feb 7, 2018
55 posts
2 upvotes
max1234 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 7:09 pm
You can go to their website. They have a section called Find a dealer
Feb 7, 2018
55 posts
2 upvotes
adanac123 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 4:47 am
We cover this topic on many occasions with in this thread.
Ok one more time:
Your question if it worth going with triple pane?
Yes it is , but only if a company have 1"3/8 glass unit. And absolutely not, if they have 7/8.
There is a big difference in term of energy efficiency compare to a double glass, but again I'll repeat my self only if it 1"3/8
Noise reduction also a factor
And of course, because of the weight , company must use heavy duty hardware available from "Truth"
Is Truth better or stainless steel? I've seen casement windows with 2 operators/hinges on the bottom and 1 on the top. All 3 are made from Truth on some windows, but on others its stainless steel on 1 of the 2 bottom operators/hinges and stainless steel on the top. I thought stainless steel would be better because it's strong and doesn't rust?
Images
  • IMG_6606.jpg
  • IMG_6584.JPG
Sep 17, 2017
72 posts
11 upvotes
Here's one more to add to the list:

http://canglow.ca

Their primary service area is the small town called Devon. Double-glazed, UPVC windows are the craze now- minimizes condensation during the cold. Most window frames soften during the heat and later contract in the cold and the rate in vinyl frames is considerably lower.

I still don't understand what they mean by energy efficient windows. How do windows save energy? Can it be coupled with external solar panels or something or is it just that the windows magically keep cool during the summer and vice-versa?
Oct 6, 2014
225 posts
58 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
DealHunter100 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 10:07 am
Thanks for the reply , their website does not say anything about Low-Es.. only solar gain and how it reflects sun and keeps the heat inside the house.
I know some companies don't bother to upgrade their website!
Oct 6, 2014
225 posts
58 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
briat01 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 10:14 pm
Is Truth better or stainless steel? I've seen casement windows with 2 operators/hinges on the bottom and 1 on the top. All 3 are made from Truth on some windows, but on others its stainless steel on 1 of the 2 bottom operators/hinges and stainless steel on the top. I thought stainless steel would be better because it's strong and doesn't rust?
On both pictures operators are from "truth" but both ain't heavy-duty it a single arm operator. On the second picture the hinge is stainless steel.
Personally I don't see any problem to have stainless steel it just Truth have a better reputation and not made in China.
A lot of companies those days using made in China hardware and Vinyl material.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2007
1057 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
adanac123 wrote:
Mar 6th, 2018 6:09 am
We r in the zone 2. I would request for window to be at list for our zone. If you are looking for rebates ? Windows must qualify for zone 3.
Thanks adanac123, I was able to get the NRCAN model numbers and confirmed the double pane Vinyl-Pro windows that ware being proposed are energy star rated for at least NRACAN zone 2. For the GreenON rebates, I will be using triple pane that qualifies for NRCAN zone 3.
Oct 6, 2014
225 posts
58 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
briat01 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 10:14 pm
Images
  • IMG_6374.jpg
  • IMG_6370.jpg
Apr 6, 2007
85 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Calvera wrote:
Mar 5th, 2018 4:41 pm
@adanac123 We signed with Hometech last week, thank you for the recommendation.
which window installer did you go with?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
1860 posts
35 upvotes
Both vwd and hometech seem to have poor/ average reviews on Google / homestars.

Seems hometech have lots of similar defects with discolouration and cracking and for vwd warranty /customers serve issues?

How reliable are they vs. Northstar?

Also in practical terms, the added features /technology of hometech /vwd.. If they meet same specs, What would it mean vs. Some Outdated tech windows from Northstar or other... Brand More energy efficient or are there other benefit?
Jan 7, 2013
246 posts
86 upvotes
Whitby Ontario
I think if you look hard enough you'll find bad reviews for everything. Few people go online to write good reviews. Those two brands are recommended by professionals in this thread, for what it's worth.

You can pay more and go with a big company (such as Brock) that will hopefully be around long enough to handle your warranty concerns.

Go to showrooms and see what you like. At the end of the day they're just windows. How much frills can you pack into them (blinds within patio door panes is about the coolest and more useful tech I've seen lol)
May 31, 2016
76 posts
12 upvotes
Apologies for the cross-post, but I wasn't sure whether this was better in the overall windows/doors forum, or the one specifically for the GreenON rebate...

This is specifically regarding the triple pane windows that qualify for the GreenON rebate.

Let's say that I can get the same price from Brock (Northstar - I forget model, but I think it might be series 1000 based on the literature in the brochure or whatever it is they're currently using to qualify for GreenON) and Platinum (Vinylbilt Diamond Series), who would you go for?

After some negotiation, I think I've managed to get to the point where price points are pretty much even. So then it really comes down to the window quality and reputation/reliability of both the installer and the manufacturer. From what each salesman is saying, (unsurprisingly) their window is the best and better than the others. In terms of the salesmen themselves, I'd have no hesitation going with either as both seemed very knowledgeable, personable, etc.

So if price was essentially removed from the equation, who would you go with? And preferably, can you back that up / explain why please?

Thanks!

Graham.
Nov 14, 2005
149 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
max1234 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 7:09 pm
Maselli's in markham does
Aug 25, 2010
118 posts
28 upvotes
mississauga
After read hundreds pages, still confusing which is the proper window to go with.

anyone can tell which of the following windows are better ?

1, VWD
2,KV
3, WINDOW CITY
4, VINYL BUILT
5, VINYL GUARD
6, GENTEK
7, HOMETECH

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)