Home & Garden

[Merged] Windows/Doors

Feb 17, 2012
623 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
max1234 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 9:11 pm
After read hundreds pages, still confusing which is the proper window to go with.

anyone can tell which of the following windows are better ?

1, VWD
2,KV
3, WINDOW CITY
4, VINYL BUILT
5, VINYL GUARD
6, GENTEK
7, HOMETECH
None of those. I would choose a fiberglass window. Many advantages over vinyl, wood or aluminum. The only con is that in most cases they are more expensive but to be honest it wasnt very much difference. When i did my windows the difference was $1500
Oct 6, 2014
228 posts
58 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
max1234 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 10:42 am
which is Truth ?
Both of it. Stainless steel hinge and coated casement operators. One is heavy duty one is not.
Nov 14, 2005
149 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
kasm wrote:
Mar 8th, 2018 9:33 am
Thanks adanac123, I was able to get the NRCAN model numbers and confirmed the double pane Vinyl-Pro windows that ware being proposed are energy star rated for at least NRACAN zone 2. For the GreenON rebates, I will be using triple pane that qualifies for NRCAN zone 3.
I was told the double pane windows from vinyl pro with lowE argon would still qualify. Not sure if that's the truth?
Jan 7, 2013
254 posts
86 upvotes
Whitby Ontario
plugdat wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 6:39 am
I was told the double pane windows from vinyl pro with lowE argon would still qualify. Not sure if that's the truth?
If it's zone 123 rated, meets the U factor, and is "brick to brick", then it should qualify.

In this case, Zone 2 will not. Perhaps they have a higher end double. I think the doubles with the new three super Low E coatings may qualify.
Nov 14, 2005
149 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Shaidin wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 9:05 am
If it's zone 123 rated, meets the U factor, and is "brick to brick", then it should qualify.

In this case, Zone 2 will not. Perhaps they have a higher end double. I think the doubles with the new three super Low E coatings may qualify.
Ya. I spoke with comfort windows again. They assured me it will qualify for zone 3.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2007
1059 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
plugdat wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 10:26 am
Ya. I spoke with comfort windows again. They assured me it will qualify for zone 3.
I would get the NRCAN model numbers from your installer. If you search NRCAN's website (http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/pml-lmp/index.cf ... ce=WINDOWS) and select Vinyl-Pro for the Brand; Casement (single) for the style; and "2" (double pane) for layers of glazing, it will come back with 7 different windows. One is rated for zone 3, one is rated for zone 2 and the rest are rated for zone 1 only.

If you want to go with double pane from vinyl pro and still qualify for GreenON, the model for a casement must be CAS-3MMLOE180[2]-0.576ARGON-3MMI89[4]. This model has a u-factor of 1.31, Energy Rating of 34 and qualifies for Energy Star Zones 1|2|3.

Do the same for the other styles you plan on installing (awnings, pictures, sliders, etc).

Trust but verify.
Sep 17, 2008
82 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
gmason86 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 7:38 pm
Apologies for the cross-post, but I wasn't sure whether this was better in the overall windows/doors forum, or the one specifically for the GreenON rebate...

This is specifically regarding the triple pane windows that qualify for the GreenON rebate.

Let's say that I can get the same price from Brock (Northstar - I forget model, but I think it might be series 1000 based on the literature in the brochure or whatever it is they're currently using to qualify for GreenON) and Platinum (Vinylbilt Diamond Series), who would you go for?

After some negotiation, I think I've managed to get to the point where price points are pretty much even. So then it really comes down to the window quality and reputation/reliability of both the installer and the manufacturer. From what each salesman is saying, (unsurprisingly) their window is the best and better than the others. In terms of the salesmen themselves, I'd have no hesitation going with either as both seemed very knowledgeable, personable, etc.

So if price was essentially removed from the equation, who would you go with? And preferably, can you back that up / explain why please?

Thanks!

Graham.

I'm also wondering the exact same thing. Anyone have insight on this?
Nov 14, 2005
149 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
kasm wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 10:43 am
I would get the NRCAN model numbers from your installer. If you search NRCAN's website (http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/pml-lmp/index.cf ... ce=WINDOWS) and select Vinyl-Pro for the Brand; Casement (single) for the style; and "2" (double pane) for layers of glazing, it will come back with 7 different windows. One is rated for zone 3, one is rated for zone 2 and the rest are rated for zone 1 only.

If you want to go with double pane from vinyl pro and still qualify for GreenON, the model for a casement must be CAS-3MMLOE180[2]-0.576ARGON-3MMI89[4]. This model has a u-factor of 1.31, Energy Rating of 34 and qualifies for Energy Star Zones 1|2|3.

Do the same for the other styles you plan on installing (awnings, pictures, sliders, etc).

Trust but verify.
i didn't get a chance to verify the models yet but he put on the contract all windows and installations to fall under the greenon rebate program and window wise.
Nov 14, 2005
149 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
kasm wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 10:43 am

Trust but verify.
i got nervous and also emailed him again .. he responded everything is by the book and qualified for zone 3 and greenon
fixed windows are 3panes... sliders that are double paned will also qualify.
Jan 7, 2013
254 posts
86 upvotes
Whitby Ontario
plugdat wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 12:31 pm
i got nervous and also emailed him again .. he responded everything is by the book and qualified for zone 3 and greenon
fixed windows are 3panes... sliders that are double paned will also qualify.
I would've thought it'd be the opposite. Easier to get fixed windows to meet specs than sliders.
Nov 14, 2005
149 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Shaidin wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 1:38 pm
I would've thought it'd be the opposite. Easier to get fixed windows to meet specs than sliders.
im just taking a wild guess but maybe with all the moving parts and etc.. the frame and parts to be able to house the 3 panes while being sound structurally would cost alot more? vs 3 panes in a fixed window is a simplistic design?
Sep 17, 2008
82 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
I'm curious as to people's thoughts on this. So I'm in the beginning stages of getting quotes. Today I had Brock come by, and I was intrigued by some points the salesperson made.

He is quoting us for the "Brock's premium plus 2" windows. All triple pane casement and fixed windows. With one awning window above the sink. He says they will be argon filled with LoE 180.

I'm curious on a few points

- is anyone familiar with this specific window and if it's good?
- he said the windows are 1 1/2 in size, not 1 3/8 which I read someone on here recommending before. Would that be any issue?
- I inquried about the foam filler and asked if they do 1" inside and 1" outside and he said "we do it all over. Not just 1 inside and 1 outside. Does that sound reasonable? Or do you think he was specifically avoiding saying that they don't do that number?
- I saw someone on here recommending blueskin vapor barrier and I asked about that. He said they don't use any vapor barrier at all. Is that normal? Could he be mistaken or is that just something they don't do?
- lastly, when asking about the truth hardware, I asked if it was necessary to use the heavy duty ones (that I saw someone posting about on here) and he said they don't have a heavy duty one, it's just the standard ones from Truth. Does that seem normal?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to know how I should follow up with him when I get the official quote. I want to like Brock, but I'm not sure how I felt about some of those responses.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4181 posts
1332 upvotes
Paris
mr_plow wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 5:42 pm
I'm curious as to people's thoughts on this. So I'm in the beginning stages of getting quotes. Today I had Brock come by, and I was intrigued by some points the salesperson made.

He is quoting us for the "Brock's premium plus 2" windows. All triple pane casement and fixed windows. With one awning window above the sink. He says they will be argon filled with LoE 180.

I'm curious on a few points

- is anyone familiar with this specific window and if it's good?
- he said the windows are 1 1/2 in size, not 1 3/8 which I read someone on here recommending before. Would that be any issue?
- I inquried about the foam filler and asked if they do 1" inside and 1" outside and he said "we do it all over. Not just 1 inside and 1 outside. Does that sound reasonable? Or do you think he was specifically avoiding saying that they don't do that number?
- I saw someone on here recommending blueskin vapor barrier and I asked about that. He said they don't use any vapor barrier at all. Is that normal? Could he be mistaken or is that just something they don't do?
- lastly, when asking about the truth hardware, I asked if it was necessary to use the heavy duty ones (that I saw someone posting about on here) and he said they don't have a heavy duty one, it's just the standard ones from Truth. Does that seem normal?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to know how I should follow up with him when I get the official quote. I want to like Brock, but I'm not sure how I felt about some of those responses.
No blue skin and completely foam filled is not WindowWise.

Edit: doesn’t have to be blue skin but there needs to be something over the wood. Foam is only water resistant at 1” or more so the outer 1” of your framing would be subject to potential water infiltration. It’s more likely the salesguy doesn’t know what he is talking about.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Sep 17, 2008
82 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote:
Mar 11th, 2018 12:00 am
No blue skin and completely foam filled is not WindowWise.

Edit: doesn’t have to be blue skin but there needs to be something over the wood. Foam is only water resistant at 1” or more so the outer 1” of your framing would be subject to potential water infiltration. It’s more likely the salesguy doesn’t know what he is talking about.
That's what I was thinking. I will clarify with him once I receive the formal quote. Thank you.
Nov 13, 2016
51 posts
15 upvotes
Any experts wish to chime in with their opinions about the Clera Windows?. Their double pane lowE casements are listed in NRCAN website and I like their inbuilt retractable bug screen. Most other vendors came in with triple panes and bug screen is the traditional spring loaded snap on/off.

TIA

CD