Home & Garden

[Merged] Windows/Doors

Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
9752 posts
1026 upvotes
has anyone had experience with Window Land or Ambia

http://www.window-land.com/
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Oct 6, 2014
228 posts
58 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
mr_plow wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 5:42 pm
I'm curious as to people's thoughts on this. So I'm in the beginning stages of getting quotes. Today I had Brock come by, and I was intrigued by some points the salesperson made.

He is quoting us for the "Brock's premium plus 2" windows. All triple pane casement and fixed windows. With one awning window above the sink. He says they will be argon filled with LoE 180.

I'm curious on a few points

- is anyone familiar with this specific window and if it's good?
- he said the windows are 1 1/2 in size, not 1 3/8 which I read someone on here recommending before. Would that be any issue?
- I inquried about the foam filler and asked if they do 1" inside and 1" outside and he said "we do it all over. Not just 1 inside and 1 outside. Does that sound reasonable? Or do you think he was specifically avoiding saying that they don't do that number?
- I saw someone on here recommending blueskin vapor barrier and I asked about that. He said they don't use any vapor barrier at all. Is that normal? Could he be mistaken or is that just something they don't do?
- lastly, when asking about the truth hardware, I asked if it was necessary to use the heavy duty ones (that I saw someone posting about on here) and he said they don't have a heavy duty one, it's just the standard ones from Truth. Does that seem normal?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to know how I should follow up with him when I get the official quote. I want to like Brock, but I'm not sure how I felt about some of those responses.

Seems to me that the salesperson doesn't know what he is talking about.
There is no need for blue skin , but it a lot better , I always using that for install. But you can use just regular plastic as a vapor barrier.
For larger casement windows- heavy duty hinges and operators must be used otherwise the sash will sagge.
I suggest to shop around .
Last edited by adanac123 on Mar 12th, 2018 5:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Oct 6, 2014
228 posts
58 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
plugdat wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 12:31 pm
i got nervous and also emailed him again .. he responded everything is by the book and qualified for zone 3 and greenon
fixed windows are 3panes... sliders that are double paned will also qualify.
Why wouldn't you go with triple glass? If you add 180+i89 the cost will be equal to triple anyway.
Nov 14, 2005
149 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
adanac123 wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 5:12 am
Why wouldn't you go with triple glass? If you add 180+i89 the cost will be equal to triple anyway.
hrmmm.......
ill ask him about the price difference bw the 2 specs.
thanks for the suggestion.
Oct 6, 2014
228 posts
58 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
plugdat wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 6:41 am
hrmmm.......
ill ask him about the price difference bw the 2 specs.
thanks for the suggestion.
I think that Vinyl pro have only 1"1/8 for casements . Because the best is 1"3/8.
Nov 14, 2005
149 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
adanac123 wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 6:46 am
I think that Vinyl pro have only 1"1/8 for casements . Because the best is 1"3/8.
i'm not doing casements... only sliders and fixed.
Oct 6, 2014
228 posts
58 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
plugdat wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 6:59 am
i'm not doing casements... only sliders and fixed.

Just curious why sliders?
Nov 14, 2005
149 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
adanac123 wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 7:04 am
Just curious why sliders?
the current 1st floor windows there are sliders and the openings are in a narrow space between houses the windows would protrude onto the walkway which is already limited in space.
the other sliders are in the basement which i think makes sense.
what is the typical price diff bw sliders and casement? are casement recommended for most cases?
sorry.. i'm pretty new to this window business.... lol
Oct 6, 2014
228 posts
58 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
plugdat wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 7:12 am
the current 1st floor windows there are sliders and the openings are in a narrow space between houses the windows would protrude onto the walkway which is already limited in space.
the other sliders are in the basement which i think makes sense.
what is the typical price diff bw sliders and casement? are casement recommended for most cases?
sorry.. i'm pretty new to this window business.... lol
No problem at all:)). Casements are better technically in terms of closing. I always recommend to go with casements. Because windows have size limitation in many cases you need two casement instead of one slider, that what's makes it more expensive. But if you compare one to one shouldn't be any difference in price.
For the basement you are probably right, sliders are more suitable option.
Nov 14, 2005
149 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
adanac123 wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 7:27 am
No problem at all:)). Casements are better technically in terms of closing. I always recommend to go with casements. Because windows have size limitation in many cases you need two casement instead of one slider, that what's makes it more expensive. But if you compare one to one shouldn't be any difference in price.
Hmm. Very good point on the closing/seal
Aug 25, 2010
153 posts
36 upvotes
mississauga
Frank2029 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 9:31 pm
None of those. I would choose a fiberglass window. Many advantages over vinyl, wood or aluminum. The only con is that in most cases they are more expensive but to be honest it wasnt very much difference. When i did my windows the difference was $1500
anyone else has any input ?
Sep 9, 2008
562 posts
106 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm looking at tilt and turn windows for the basement which can act as an egress. Anyone have any recommendations that will meet Zone 3 requirements?
Jun 3, 2015
25 posts
5 upvotes
Ajax, ON
Anyone has comments about KV windows?
I was going with Vinylbuilt or VWD, and the contractor offered KV for 10% less..
Nov 14, 2005
149 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
adanac123 wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 7:27 am
was told casements are one of the most expensive options......