Home & Garden

[Merged] Windows/Doors

Nov 14, 2005
149 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
adanac123 wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 7:27 am
No problem at all:)). Casements are better technically in terms of closing. I always recommend to go with casements. Because windows have size limitation in many cases you need two casement instead of one slider, that what's makes it more expensive. But if you compare one to one shouldn't be any difference in price.
For the basement you are probably right, sliders are more suitable option.
was told casements are one of the most expensive options......
May 31, 2017
93 posts
15 upvotes
plugdat wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 8:13 pm
When we had our windows quoted, we asked for casement and slider options to compare. I prefer the look and function of sliders but I knew casement had a better seal. The difference was around $100-$150 more per window, for the casements.
Jan 7, 2013
255 posts
86 upvotes
Whitby Ontario
breads wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 8:51 pm
When we had our windows quoted, we asked for casement and slider options to compare. I prefer the look and function of sliders but I knew casement had a better seal. The difference was around $100-$150 more per window, for the casements.
I saw the same. I swapped my bathroom sliders to awning windows for a similar cost +$100.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4181 posts
1332 upvotes
Paris
plugdat wrote:
Casements are barely more than double slide or double hung but in the GreenOn world they are a little more as they need foam filled frames which is a good idea anyway.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Feb 7, 2008
715 posts
216 upvotes
Kelowna
need some advice: I have a few wooden windows on which seal broke down and are fogging up.
Since they are older wooden windows, would you recommend replacing them or should I just replace glass in wooden frame?
They are still in a good shape. I paint them every couple of years and there is no sign of deterioration.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4181 posts
1332 upvotes
Paris
verby wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 12:48 am
need some advice: I have a few wooden windows on which seal broke down and are fogging up.
Since they are older wooden windows, would you recommend replacing them or should I just replace glass in wooden frame?
They are still in a good shape. I paint them every couple of years and there is no sign of deterioration.
Price both ways, factor in paint and time costs and decide.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Feb 21, 2004
880 posts
90 upvotes
Hamilton
verby wrote:
Depends on size - smaller windows might be worth replacing under GreenOn program, but larger ones will be way to expensive compared to just replacing glass. I had the same problem on my 48 x53 wooden window and replacement glass was $180, replacement of the whole window probably would be in the range of 1500, so even after GreenOn rebate it is not worth in my opinion.
Feb 13, 2017
7 posts
1 upvote
Aside from MagicWindows, does anyone know of a company that sells casements/awnings without cranks?

Although cranks these days are better than the standard 25+ years ago, I still find them to be a terrible user experience.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4181 posts
1332 upvotes
Paris
Dekster wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 7:47 am
Depends on size - smaller windows might be worth replacing under GreenOn program, but larger ones will be way to expensive compared to just replacing glass. I had the same problem on my 48 x53 wooden window and replacement glass was $180, replacement of the whole window probably would be in the range of 1500, so even after GreenOn rebate it is not worth in my opinion.
He is in BC. No GreenOn there.

As for only doing smaller windows in GreenOn, do the ones that provide the best payback in terms of rebate and of overall comfort.

Mar 13, 2018
2 posts
Hello,

I was hoping you would be able to provide some advice.

Looking for some reputable companies to quote a window install at my home south of Barrie.

Can you recommend any?
Mar 13, 2018
40 posts
5 upvotes
Good afternoon to All and Sundry participants: I have read at length (and what a long journey that was) about all the various opinions about window makers and the required subset of installers.
Using "Search", I came up with only one reference within a post about Dayside Industries of Brantford that I happened upon at the Toronto Home Show. Can anybody expound further upon this maker/seller/installer? I was rather impressed by their website, especially for all the direct links to external suppliers such as Roto hardware and Cardinal glass.
Besides that, it was most informative to read about in here some of the minutiae of window building and installation practices. Especially in light of the gigantic GreenOn rebates and their specifications. As part of that dealie, does anybody have an inside track to suss out just what will happen if come June there is a change in Provincial Government, (especially a majority) that deems these rebate programmes to be a "gravy train waste" and cancels the programme in order to "protect the taxpayers"?
Still in the early phases of my Quest for Windows, I'll trickle down into more details as time goes on.
TIA
Mar 13, 2018
40 posts
5 upvotes
This just in, aka, Breaking News.... while in the midst of sussing out Armor windows by Vinylbilt as supplied by (my very local vendor) Gem Windows in Toronto, they posted a "News Release" (at 6:22pm) about now being partnered with Cardinal Glass.
As this partnership was a big part of my liking Dayside, thoughts & comments are solicited.

Edit time: As it turns out, this is NOT new News, I discovered by a repeat visit that the Armor / Vinylbilt website has a coding glitch which populates the current time/date stamp in the header of the time when you open the link. Told them as much today when I went to their head office / factory in Vaughn, ON.
Last edited by DueDilligence on Mar 14th, 2018 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 6, 2014
228 posts
58 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
verby wrote:
I would replace the whole Window . In many cases wood glassing stops ain't replaceable.
Oct 6, 2014
228 posts
58 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
User559530 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 10:40 pm
Aside from MagicWindows, does anyone know of a company that sells casements/awnings without cranks?

Although cranks these days are better than the standard 25+ years ago, I still find them to be a terrible user experience.
I understand your frustration, but if the manufacture using proper hardware according to the size of the window, and Installer does a good job - shouldn't be any problem for years to come
Oct 6, 2014
228 posts
58 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
plugdat wrote:
Only because you need 2 windows per opening.