Home & Garden

[Merged] Windows/Doors

Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2005
1658 posts
32 upvotes
Mississauga
Anyone able to find GreenOn eligible windows with grilles inside the glass? The condo requires the same style as the existing ones. Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
5101 posts
1949 upvotes
Paris
ayeung wrote:
May 7th, 2018 9:53 pm
Anyone able to find GreenOn eligible windows with grilles inside the glass? The condo requires the same style as the existing ones. Thanks.
Yes we can get them now. Tested and approved. Most manufacturers concentrated on the 80% of their business without, but now VinylGuard, VinyBilt and I’m sure others will have them.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2005
1658 posts
32 upvotes
Mississauga
Jerico wrote:
May 7th, 2018 10:11 pm
Yes we can get them now. Tested and approved. Most manufacturers concentrated on the 80% of their business without, but now VinylGuard, VinyBilt and I’m sure others will have them.
Good to know. Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
5101 posts
1949 upvotes
Paris
ayeung wrote:
May 7th, 2018 11:42 pm
Good to know. Thanks.
They are not cheap though. Require triple and Krypton from most.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Jun 6, 2011
80 posts
22 upvotes
Ottawa
chriscabob wrote:
May 7th, 2018 11:21 am
Update. Verdun put back in the glass on the large window this morning and a second team came to do the basement sliders. They broke the glass on one of the sliders. They are rushing the replacement glass and can come back this afternoon to fix it. I wonder what their glass breakage rate must be....

Edit: they came back this afternoon as promised. Broken glass repaired and job is now complete. A few hiccups on the way but ended up with a high quality product
Glad to hear the job is done and you're happy. Enjoy the new windows.. now you just need to pay for them haha
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2005
1658 posts
32 upvotes
Mississauga
Jerico wrote:
May 7th, 2018 11:56 pm
They are not cheap though. Require triple and Krypton from most.
Do you know for a 30" wide, 60" tall casement window with grille that is GreenOn qualified, would I be looking at more than $1200 all in installed or less?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
5101 posts
1949 upvotes
Paris
ayeung wrote:
May 8th, 2018 10:04 am
Do you know for a 30" wide, 60" tall casement window with grille that is GreenOn qualified, would I be looking at more than $1200 all in installed or less?
$1201.37 tax in for white in/out - $500 rebate = $701 out of pocket

Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2005
1658 posts
32 upvotes
Mississauga
Jerico wrote:
May 8th, 2018 12:35 pm
$1201.37 tax in for white in/out - $500 rebate = $701 out of pocket
Thanks. My guess is pretty close. The 3 pane with grille window is really expensive if there is no rebate. With the $500 rebate, it is not outrages consider the same size off the shelf from Lowes will cost about $580 tax in installed.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
5101 posts
1949 upvotes
Paris
ayeung wrote:
May 8th, 2018 12:56 pm
Thanks. My guess is pretty close. The 3 pane with grille window is really expensive if there is no rebate. With the $500 rebate, it is not outrages consider the same size off the shelf from Lowes will cost about $580 tax in installed.
In most cases, it’s hard to buy a junk window for the price of installed good window with the rebate.

Jan 3, 2007
162 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone has experience with windows from Vinyl Window Designs Ltd.? A company that sells their windows gave me a very well priced quote - but wondering how their quality is.
Jul 20, 2017
514 posts
112 upvotes
I am looking for some options for the following:
I have an entry door, standard size, 34x80 , above the door there is a rectangular transom about 19" high, same width as door, very badly built just some glass in a wooden frame.
Any idea were I could find a door like that ( would like to install myself.
I thought that I could find a glass insert of that size , but was not successful , there is no 20x 34 readily available.
I also could frame a dual or triple pane window, but not sure how to get one of the right size, I have all the tools and skills to do it.
I also considered filling in the transom either with glass blocks or just drywall it.

I would prefer fiberglass because is more dent resistant. I have a really limited budget, but do have plenty of time.
Also do you guys maybe know any places that has lots of clearance doors?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
5101 posts
1949 upvotes
Paris
Sebastian6300 wrote:
May 10th, 2018 10:45 pm
I am looking for some options for the following:
I have an entry door, standard size, 34x80 , above the door there is a rectangular transom about 19" high, same width as door, very badly built just some glass in a wooden frame.
Any idea were I could find a door like that ( would like to install myself.
I thought that I could find a glass insert of that size , but was not successful , there is no 20x 34 readily available.
I also could frame a dual or triple pane window, but not sure how to get one of the right size, I have all the tools and skills to do it.
I also considered filling in the transom either with glass blocks or just drywall it.

I would prefer fiberglass because is more dent resistant. I have a really limited budget, but do have plenty of time.
Also do you guys maybe know any places that has lots of clearance doors?
What you are looking for is a premium door at a budget price.

First, you will need tempered glass for the transom. Any glass shop will sell you the glass, custom size, that you can fit into a frame. They will also sell you the foam to go around the window as you set it into the frame so it’s not tight to the wood frame and doesn’t explode in July (not spray foam, but a foam cord almost like packing peanuts)

As for the door itself, you will have a difficult time finding fibreglass for cheap. You can buy a box store door off the shelf, but be forewarned these are at that price point for a reason. You can check the restore, but the ones near me are out to lunch on their pricing often with doors at 80-90% of retail.

Jul 20, 2017
514 posts
112 upvotes
Jerico wrote:
May 11th, 2018 12:40 am
What you are looking for is a premium door at a budget price.

First, you will need tempered glass for the transom. Any glass shop will sell you the glass, custom size, that you can fit into a frame. They will also sell you the foam to go around the window as you set it into the frame so it’s not tight to the wood frame and doesn’t explode in July (not spray foam, but a foam cord almost like packing peanuts)

As for the door itself, you will have a difficult time finding fibreglass for cheap. You can buy a box store door off the shelf, but be forewarned these are at that price point for a reason. You can check the restore, but the ones near me are out to lunch on their pricing often with doors at 80-90% of retail.
Thanks
It sounds like it has to be steel ( I only have nickels and dimes:-), although even the box store fibreglass would be such an improvement to what I have...
-how could I get a double pane glass, maybe even with a frame made? Then I can just put that in the transom frame...
-I did check a lot of Restores, but you are right, prices are crazy even there...Have you seen any that had lots of them?
-any idea of any place that has some clearance, left overs, mis-measured, etc? ( I did call around, and found some, liked the door, but was the wrong side, and still double the price I was looking at..)
-any idea of stores that do have a good selection of doors in stock, except the big 3?
-what do you think of Stanley doors? HD has some, they seem more expensive then the other brands..seen some really nice designs
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2008
5717 posts
654 upvotes
Ottawa
DecayHeat wrote:
May 11th, 2018 9:35 am
Hi guys, complete noob here.

I'd like to get my windows tinted for some privacy.
I've seen some absolutely terrible looking tints on the road and would like to avoid that.
I am located on the far east end of the GTA (Oshawa/Bowmanville)

Can you recommend a good place to get it done? How dark should I go? How much does tinting typically cost? (mazda 3 sedan)
Try the automotive forum. Not sure you will find the answer here.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2008
5717 posts
654 upvotes
Ottawa
I have read a lot about I89 in this thread and how it may affect indoor condensation on the windows but maybe not as much on the 1"3/8 units.

Can someone help me out in explaining what the 1"3/8 vs 1"1/8 is exactly and how I can determine if the Verdun Revocell units with I89 could be problematic?

Thanks

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

deadsea