Home & Garden

[Merged] Windows/Doors

Dec 8, 2009
317 posts
41 upvotes
What is the best paint for windows trims? It’s primed pine. I am looking at Benjamin Moore Advance. What finish? Semi gloss or pearl? How about color? First time painting trims so lots of questions. Thanks in advance
May 11, 2011
456 posts
116 upvotes
Highway 427 and The …
I'm Phil Lewin from GEM Windows and a member of numerous industry and ngo committees.

1. Weird question. Regardless of where in the world you are, a double pane unit with a particular brand of Low E and the same glass and thickness has the same U value. You can (on a PC) go to Fenestration Canada calculator and find out the recommended NAFS minimum for your area. ENERGY STAR says your in zone 2 (today) but all of Canada will be in zone 3 by 2020. Go to the ENERGY STAR website for more info on what U value they recommend.
2. A good question. The industry has not come up with durability testing. It should! Recommendations from other homeowners on this site who have had their windows for a while and are happy is really what this site is about.
3. Anything painted can chip, but this is not a major problem, which is probably why manufacturers are happy to warrant against chipping! Purely cosmetic.
4. LOL - Not a question I get into!
Reine wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 8:48 pm
Hi all,

A few questions:
1. Wondering if some of the pro's could weigh in on what the ideal U value for double pane argon windows should be for a home in the Newmarket/Aurora, ON areas?
2. How do you determine durability / longevity of a window? I hear a lot of discussion involving things sagging, etc, but I am not sure if this is a window quality vs installation issue?
3. When there are mentions of paint chipping - which parts of the window is this in reference to, and does this have an impact on the overall efficiency of the window or is it an aesthetics issue?
4. @Jerico based on your VinylGuard suggestion I was wondering if you'd be comfortable either posting or PM'ing me with companies that sell and install this vendor's windows? I'd like to inquire more into this.

Many thanks!
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2004
1090 posts
116 upvotes
Mississauga
britelzg wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 5:40 pm
What is the best paint for windows trims? It’s primed pine. I am looking at Benjamin Moore Advance. What finish? Semi gloss or pearl? How about color? First time painting trims so lots of questions. Thanks in advance
cc-20, pearl
CoNtRaCtOr
Jul 22, 2009
22 posts
Scarborough
Thanks for answering Phil.
And fair enough with #4!
Apr 21, 2016
385 posts
100 upvotes
GTA
britelzg wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 5:40 pm
The higher the gloss, the more flaws will show, even at a distance.

Pretty well every paint you buy today is going to be a variation of an acrylic latex combo. The good news is it usually drys quickly but cure slowly and pretty well is fade resistant even on the dark colours. Re-did my house in black 3 years ago (I face directly west) and did some touch ups this fall which I couldn't discern from 5 ft away. The VOC free paints are easier to use and surprisingly fade resistant, the biggest irritation is the softness of the finish for what seems like forever.
Apr 21, 2016
385 posts
100 upvotes
GTA
Reine wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 8:48 pm
Hi all,

A few questions:
1. Wondering if some of the pro's could weigh in on what the ideal U value for double pane argon windows should be for a home in the Newmarket/Aurora, ON areas?
2. How do you determine durability / longevity of a window? I hear a lot of discussion involving things sagging, etc, but I am not sure if this is a window quality vs installation issue?
3. When there are mentions of paint chipping - which parts of the window is this in reference to, and does this have an impact on the overall efficiency of the window or is it an aesthetics issue?
4. @Jerico based on your VinylGuard suggestion I was wondering if you'd be comfortable either posting or PM'ing me with companies that sell and install this vendor's windows? I'd like to inquire more into this.

Many thanks!
This is where Phil suggested you look: http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/pml-lmp/index.cf ... ce=WINDOWS

It's a confusing site but usually after a few shots you can figure it out.

The industry likes to make it as confusing as possible just to keep consumers on their toes. For example, a double pane casement window is much better than a trip pane slider. And if you ask Jerico, he will tell you go triple casement and fixed. Me, I hate casements so I am going DH doubles.
Nov 2, 2018
110 posts
44 upvotes
missymouse wrote:
Dec 7th, 2018 6:10 pm

The industry likes to make it as confusing as possible just to keep consumers on their toes. For example, a double pane casement window is much better than a trip pane slider. And if you ask Jerico, he will tell you go triple casement and fixed. Me, I hate casements so I am going DH doubles.
Curious why you hate casements?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6771 posts
3046 upvotes
Paris
missymouse wrote:
Dec 7th, 2018 6:10 pm
And if you ask Jerico, he will tell you go triple casement and fixed. Me, I hate casements so I am going DH doubles.
AWNING. All the old sliders in my house are now awning windows. I put in 5 in my house. Too wide for a single casement? Awning. Always awning.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
Nov 29, 2007
467 posts
50 upvotes
I want to install a security screen door at the front of the house so its harder for people to break into my house. Do you think those are worth the money?
Apr 21, 2016
385 posts
100 upvotes
GTA
WindowGuyLarry wrote:
Dec 7th, 2018 8:04 pm
Curious why you hate casements?
For a start I have hardwood throughout and more than once I've come home to water on the floor because I left a casement open. Yes, I know Jerico, awning solves that problem neatly. I also like to sleep with a window open just a bit all year round and with a D/H I can leave it open just a smidgen at the top with no worries. I also don't like the cranks no matter what quality they are and more than once with the new and improved sudden wind storms I've seen more than one bend backwards.
Apr 21, 2016
385 posts
100 upvotes
GTA
audavid wrote:
Dec 7th, 2018 10:34 pm
I want to install a security screen door at the front of the house so its harder for people to break into my house. Do you think those are worth the money?
Do you mean a storm door?
Nov 2, 2018
110 posts
44 upvotes
missymouse wrote:
Dec 7th, 2018 11:42 pm
For a start I have hardwood throughout and more than once I've come home to water on the floor because I left a casement open. Yes, I know Jerico, awning solves that problem neatly. I also like to sleep with a window open just a bit all year round and with a D/H I can leave it open just a smidgen at the top with no worries. I also don't like the cranks no matter what quality they are and more than once with the new and improved sudden wind storms I've seen more than one bend backwards.
I don't argue in terms of functionality, nothing beats a double hung window. But in terms of aesthetics, casement is so much cleaner and more modern. Not to mention, it becomes very difficult to mix and match operable/fixed when you go double hung. Often I will need to do an entire house with Double Hungs just to keep continuity, whereas with casements, you can mix them in with fixed no problem.

Having said that, I just purchased a home with all double hung widows (only window that I am allowed - homeowners association rule) and I do love cracking it open just a touch, as you mentioned.
Dec 8, 2009
317 posts
41 upvotes
Went with Sherwin Williams ProClassic water based. Used it but feel one coat is not enough. The staff gave me ultra stiff brush. Is it wrong? Feel hard to use.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6771 posts
3046 upvotes
Paris
britelzg wrote:
Dec 9th, 2018 6:54 pm
Went with Sherwin Williams ProClassic water based. Used it but feel one coat is not enough. The staff gave me ultra stiff brush. Is it wrong? Feel hard to use.
Ive never been satisfied with 1 coat unless I use a sprayer.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/