[Merged] Windows/Doors

Apr 21, 2016
385 posts
100 upvotes
GTA
audavid wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 10:46 am
something like this
So what would stop me from simply using a prybar on the side of the door? The patio door for sure would bend and the front door looks to be an aluminum door with this stainless steel mesh.

Me, I'd invest in a good quality "Beware Of Dog" sign and display it on my gates and the front of the house. Little cheaper.
Nov 9, 2016
10 posts
2 upvotes
MANGLER wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 11:55 pm
Ok, I've pretty much narrowed it down to vinyl windows for my new build, Dashwood Gemini or Strassburger Series 4000.

Strassburger is around 25% more expensive, but they did have a better feel to them. Problem is I am having a hard time finding comparable CSA ratings for the 2 window types.

First glance Dashwood casements (operable ) are A3, B5, C3, and Strassburger 400 series seem to be at A3, B7, C5. If I am to believe those ratings (Dashwood is from 2014), my question is :

Is B5 C3 good enough? Would I notice the difference going to B7 C5 with Strassburger? Are the vinyl qualities similar? When I asked i got a "virgin vinyl" from Strassburger and an evasive answer from Dashwood. I can find air infiltration for Dashwood casement operable (0.1 l/s/m2) and Strassburger (0.07l/s/m2). For a 272 lOE 2 pane operable casement, Dashwood actually has the edge on U-value (1.49 vs 1.53), which I can't wrap my head around.

Differential pressure? is 3840Pa for Strassburger, and 2640Pa for dashwood, which seems like a big difference to me, but I am not sure I am comparing apples to apples.

So, with the above taken as fact, is Strassburger worth 25% more over Dashwood? Would you pay the premium for a new build?
Hey did you ever get my input on this? I’m in the same boat and wondering which one you ultimately went with

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6771 posts
3046 upvotes
Paris
missymouse wrote:
Dec 11th, 2018 3:14 pm
So what would stop me from simply using a prybar on the side of the door? The patio door for sure would bend and the front door looks to be an aluminum door with this stainless steel mesh.

Me, I'd invest in a good quality "Beware Of Dog" sign and display it on my gates and the front of the house. Little cheaper.
Like those lock breaker guys. “You can’t cut this lock with lock cutters”. “No, but I can get the combo in under 15 seconds by fiddling with it”

I bet you could break that handle in under 2 seconds with a $5 crowbar.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
Jan 10, 2005
410 posts
130 upvotes
bbdd005 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2018 10:10 pm
Hey did you ever get my input on this? I’m in the same boat and wondering which one you ultimately went with

Thanks
Went with Strassburger. A few things I would do differently:

Went with no brickmold, 2" frame extensions and thin picture window frames on the large windows. That was a mistake. Way too flimsy on large widows, and the lack or brickmold just reduced the rigidity even more. It will turn out alright, but we had to surgically shim the big boys (80" wide and up). Mind you the thin frame on the big picture does make a difference. It gives you quite a bit more glass. Just be prepared for a finicky install.

I did not go with nailing fins, as I wanted to set back the windows closer to the inside wall (hence the 2" frame extensions). Also a mistake. Nailing fins make sealing the window to the house wrap childs play. Without it it was a nightmare, with some windows even leaking a bit after taping. It should turn out alright once everything is foamed and caulked, but it was a lot more painful. Hopefully the lower condensation I get from getting the glass closer to the inside wall will be worth it.

As for the Dashwood vs Strassburger, I think they both offer great value in their price point. i do think the Strassburger are worth the 25% premium, and since I could afford it and look at this as a "lifetime" choice, I decided to go with the higher end. But I am sure many would be happy with the Dashwood and the savings applied to something more jazzy in their build.
Jul 4, 2012
20 posts
Hi folks. I'm looking for the cheapest priced windows in the Oshawa/GTA area. I've called 3 places and so far the best deals were at HD and Lowes with their 15% off sales for Farley, Aluminart etc brands they carry. I'm very surprised as the box stores usually charge a bit more. There's usually a decent local company out there that has a comparable product, better priced than HD. I'm not overly concerned with quality, so long as they install properly and I can purchased brickmould options. I'm selling the house and it currently has 71 year old windows, so anything new will be a great improvement.

Any leads are much appreciated.
Feb 7, 2018
81 posts
5 upvotes
Happy New Year folks! Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. Just wanted to thank the experts on this forum for an incredibly educational and helpful year. I learned so much about windows and doors from reading and talking to you guys on this forum. Cheers to another great year and good business for those in the industry.
Apr 21, 2016
385 posts
100 upvotes
GTA
alexandrefournier wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 2:18 pm
Hi folks. I'm looking for the cheapest priced windows in the Oshawa/GTA area. I've called 3 places and so far the best deals were at HD and Lowes with their 15% off sales for Farley, Aluminart etc brands they carry. I'm very surprised as the box stores usually charge a bit more. There's usually a decent local company out there that has a comparable product, better priced than HD. I'm not overly concerned with quality, so long as they install properly and I can purchased brickmould options. I'm selling the house and it currently has 71 year old windows, so anything new will be a great improvement.

Any leads are much appreciated.
If you don't care about the quality then just go with Window City. Cheap crap and hopefully they'll install OK
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9396 posts
1619 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Really why are they cheap crap? We got ours installed about 3-4 years ago, double pane & a few triple pane and they seem to be pretty good.
missymouse wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 6:17 pm
If you don't care about the quality then just go with Window City. Cheap crap and hopefully they'll install OK
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2734 posts
623 upvotes
What are some good companies to get a quote from for windows in the Vaughan area near Toronto?

Are vinyl-pro windows decent? Got quoted 5-6k for 9 windows brick-to-brick by a local company

Total square footage of the windows is about 142
Last edited by Squirrel99 on Jan 8th, 2019 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 21, 2016
385 posts
100 upvotes
GTA
sickcars wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 7:37 pm
Really why are they cheap crap? We got ours installed about 3-4 years ago, double pane & a few triple pane and they seem to be pretty good.
Vinyl quality, seals, seams, structure. It's not 4 or 5 years, its 10 or 15 years that count.
Feb 13, 2012
11 posts
9 upvotes
BRAMPTON
Hi everyone,

I need some input as I’m trying to decide between Brock (North Star) triple pane (double low e) and Nordik (revocell) double pain (low e) .
I’ve Gotten quotes from both companies for 12 windows and 1 custom patio door. Nordik came in at 1-2 grand cheaper. Leaning towards Brock, but any feedback would be appreciated?
Thanks in advance.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9396 posts
1619 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Do you have experience with it? Have you had to deal with multiple different people who have these windows? Just curious if your windows were bad or if you have lots of experience with the brand?
missymouse wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 2:54 pm
Vinyl quality, seals, seams, structure. It's not 4 or 5 years, its 10 or 15 years that count.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Apr 21, 2016
385 posts
100 upvotes
GTA
GoldenArms81 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 3:36 pm
Hi everyone,

I need some input as I’m trying to decide between Brock (North Star) triple pane (double low e) and Nordik (revocell) double pain (low e) .
I’ve Gotten quotes from both companies for 12 windows and 1 custom patio door. Nordik came in at 1-2 grand cheaper. Leaning towards Brock, but any feedback would be appreciated?
Thanks in advance.
As much as I intensely dislike Brock, the Nordik window is pure unadulterated crap. It is poorly finished, not CSA certified and has zero brickmold. There is nothing redeeming about it.

If you are going to do business with Brock, insist on everything in writing and absolutely insist on a full computer printed quote showing specifically what you are buying. Have the sales rep give you IN HIS WRITING THE DATE your windows will be delivered and installed by. If they miss the date by 30 days, you can cancel with no penalties and there are lots and lots of missed deliveries.
Apr 21, 2016
385 posts
100 upvotes
GTA
sickcars wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 5:53 pm
Do you have experience with it? Have you had to deal with multiple different people who have these windows? Just curious if your windows were bad or if you have lots of experience with the brand?
Would run across their installed products frequently, failed seals, broken hardware, cracked frames and surprisingly frequently reversed coatings.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2734 posts
623 upvotes
Another company came today and the quote was about 5k more than the one I got yesterday, I have a feeling the first quote is way too good to be true......

I hate getting quotes, so hard to find out who is reliable and who isn't since everyone seems to get over 90% on homestars