Home & Garden

[Merged] Windows/Doors

Nov 2, 2018
110 posts
44 upvotes
sickcars wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 7:37 pm
Really why are they cheap crap? We got ours installed about 3-4 years ago, double pane & a few triple pane and they seem to be pretty good.
Last year I replaced a 2 year old custom built home with $35,000 worth of failed Window City casements that were beyond repair......Enough said
Nov 2, 2018
110 posts
44 upvotes
BigJonsson wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 3:54 pm
Another company came today and the quote was about 5k more than the one I got yesterday, I have a feeling the first quote is way too good to be true......

I hate getting quotes, so hard to find out who is reliable and who isn't since everyone seems to get over 90% on homestars
Get EVERYTHING in writing. What kind of installation? Retrofit or Brick-to Brick? With Jamb extensions? Wood or vinyl? What size? Window color? Hardware? Are they installing window casing or not? What kind of Low-E? Any tempered glass? Warranty? Get a good transparent quote from an established company.

Also, Lower price by no means indicates lower quality.
Apr 21, 2016
385 posts
100 upvotes
GTA
BigJonsson wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 3:54 pm
Another company came today and the quote was about 5k more than the one I got yesterday, I have a feeling the first quote is way too good to be true......

I hate getting quotes, so hard to find out who is reliable and who isn't since everyone seems to get over 90% on homestars
Bud, nowhere enough info to be able to tell you if you are getting a good quote or a bad quote. Square footage is the olde school way of doing things. For a start whoever you are getting a quote from should be supplying you a detailed computerized printout. Get them all to quote the windows room by room following the same pattern (ie clockwise/counterclockwise.) I'd be asking for extras to be detailed and fully explained, for example, scaffolding for 2nd floor. Now I'd also be asking them to provide me with a complete set of ratings on each window they are recommending along with the ratings from here http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/pml-lmp/index.cf ... ce=WINDOWS for each window.

As for Homestars, apparently for the exorbitant sums of $500 you can have ghost reviews done for you. Since these are the same people that can fool Youtube etc, I suspect Homestars would not be difficult with an IP spoofer
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2734 posts
623 upvotes
I see, thanks

Oh, if I get vinyl windows should I get the interior trim done with vinyl or wood? Is there a big price difference?
Last edited by Squirrel99 on Jan 11th, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 6, 2011
64 posts
71 upvotes
toronto
Hi guys
I have a question about my window frame. I moved to a Mattamy new build and for one year defects I reported what I thought is cracked window frame (pic attached). I was told this is normal "joint" that was not painted over properly and what he did is just paint over it. Does this make sense or this is actually a crack?
IMG_20190109_093358.jpg
Dec 21, 2014
27 posts
5 upvotes
Madden, AB
Is now usually the best time to get deals on new windows? I've been told through friends it is, but would like to see what the industry guys think.

Anybody have any recommendations on companies that service Calgary?
Jan 7, 2013
414 posts
175 upvotes
Whitby Ontario
pux420 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:03 pm
Hi guys
I have a question about my window frame. I moved to a Mattamy new build and for one year defects I reported what I thought is cracked window frame (pic attached). I was told this is normal "joint" that was not painted over properly and what he did is just paint over it. Does this make sense or this is actually a crack?IMG_20190109_093358.jpg
It's where the finger jointed trim pieces connected from looks if it. Is the trim wood? You can caulk and paint it.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6771 posts
3046 upvotes
Paris
pux420 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:03 pm
Hi guys
I have a question about my window frame. I moved to a Mattamy new build and for one year defects I reported what I thought is cracked window frame (pic attached). I was told this is normal "joint" that was not painted over properly and what he did is just paint over it. Does this make sense or this is actually a crack?IMG_20190109_093358.jpg
That is a standard joint where the transom window that has a curve joins the straight interior jamb. They never line up perfectly.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6771 posts
3046 upvotes
Paris
relk19 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:26 pm
Is now usually the best time to get deals on new windows? I've been told through friends it is, but would like to see what the industry guys think.
Prices are the same from us year round. Increases tend to happen in April-June if there is a yearly increase
Jan 25, 2010
5 posts
Toronto
I have an older home built in the 1930s. Most windows are single hung with mullions on the top 1/3, and this is in-line with most homes in my neighbourhood.

Problem: we've been advised by several window places including Pella and Brock that single hung windows now need to be split in half, and that, of course, changes the look of our house (and how it coordinates with neighbours).

Are there any options other than going with a casement window? I hate crank windows so really want to avoid, if possible.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6771 posts
3046 upvotes
Paris
TO Dweller wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 1:24 am
I have an older home built in the 1930s. Most windows are single hung with mullions on the top 1/3, and this is in-line with most homes in my neighbourhood.

Problem: we've been advised by several window places including Pella and Brock that single hung windows now need to be split in half, and that, of course, changes the look of our house (and how it coordinates with neighbours).

Are there any options other than going with a casement window? I hate crank windows so really want to avoid, if possible.
Split in half? How are your existing windows not 2 pieces?

Are you asking about width?
Jan 25, 2010
5 posts
Toronto
Sorry, here’s a photo of a similar house to clarify. The bottom portion of the single hung window is 2/3 of the window height. I’ve been told new windows need to be done where the top and lower portion are split in half. While the grid can still be on the top 1/3 the divider bar needs to be in the middle so that would be silly. The only way to mimic the existing look is to do casements and fake it, and I’d like to avoid casements.
3FF08C19-75A8-4A6B-8CAF-E7FD284C7443.jpeg
BDCF24B9-DB48-49BB-9BEB-8A0DFE6C2D2F.jpeg
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6771 posts
3046 upvotes
Paris
TO Dweller wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 10:07 am
Sorry, here’s a photo of a similar house to clarify. The bottom portion of the single hung window is 2/3 of the window height. I’ve been told new windows need to be done where the top and lower portion are split in half. While the grid can still be on the top 1/3 the divider bar needs to be in the middle so that would be silly. The only way to mimic the existing look is to do casements and fake it, and I’d like to avoid casements.

3FF08C19-75A8-4A6B-8CAF-E7FD284C7443.jpegBDCF24B9-DB48-49BB-9BEB-8A0DFE6C2D2F.jpeg
100% not true. You can do 1/3 top 2/3 bottom as I’m guessing these are.
Nov 2, 2018
110 posts
44 upvotes
TO Dweller wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 10:07 am

3FF08C19-75A8-4A6B-8CAF-E7FD284C7443.jpegBDCF24B9-DB48-49BB-9BEB-8A0DFE6C2D2F.jpeg
We do 1/3 - 2/3 splits like this all the time. Any window company should be able to accommodate this. Just realize that your window will open less this way
Nov 2, 2018
110 posts
44 upvotes
relk19 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:26 pm

Anybody have any recommendations on companies that service Calgary?
Our prices are the same year round. Your only benefit by ordering now is you might get yourself first dibs on a prime Spring install date