Home & Garden

[Merged] Windows/Doors

Apr 20, 2009
101 posts
54 upvotes
Ottawa
George613 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 2:39 pm
We used CANA WIndows in Ottawa for 4 bedrooms and an oversized patio sliding door. Steve was our rep.

Very satisfied (they use VWD windows) Prices were better than the other quotes we had as well.
Thanks
I will check them out!
Sep 26, 2017
24 posts
3 upvotes
Is anyone able to recommend a window manufacturer/installer in Toronto? I’m looking to get a few basement windows replaced.

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2006
1078 posts
29 upvotes
I have a question for anyone who would like to answer.

My brother had his windows replaced by a company in the Barrie area in July of 2018. The windows were made by a company in Toronto. He noticed on the really cold days they had significant drafts coming from the corners of the windows. He has casement and awning style windows. The company who installed them will address the issue but he's wondering why new windows would have failed so prematurly. Is it an issue with hinges, locks or is a manufacturing issue usually when casement or awning style windows fail? I'm also interested in finding out too because we are thinking of getting casement/awning style windows in our house to replace our slider style windows.

Thanks in advance.
May 11, 2011
421 posts
109 upvotes
Highway 427 and The …
I'm Phil Lewin of GEM Windows and a member of numerous NGO and industry committees

Fail might be too strong a word? It could be as simple as some seals being too short and leaving corners open. It could be an installation issue. Sashes might not be shimmed square. Casements and awnings are the way to go for tight windows. let us know what the installation company says and does after they do a service visit.

fogo wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 9:44 am
I have a question for anyone who would like to answer.

My brother had his windows replaced by a company in the Barrie area in July of 2018. The windows were made by a company in Toronto. He noticed on the really cold days they had significant drafts coming from the corners of the windows. He has casement and awning style windows. The company who installed them will address the issue but he's wondering why new windows would have failed so prematurly. Is it an issue with hinges, locks or is a manufacturing issue usually when casement or awning style windows fail? I'm also interested in finding out too because we are thinking of getting casement/awning style windows in our house to replace our slider style windows.

Thanks in advance.
Mar 18, 2015
183 posts
40 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Is it possible to change window type without major renovations?
From this. Flush with the wall
Thanks
IMG_20190212_160924.jpg
To this with. Has that sill/box/indent
IMG_20190207_181843.jpg
Nov 2, 2018
51 posts
25 upvotes
restie wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 4:13 pm
Is it possible to change window type without major renovations?
From this. Flush with the wall
ThanksIMG_20190212_160924.jpg
To this with. Has that sill/box/indent
IMG_20190207_181843.jpg
That "sill/box/indent" is called a Jamb Extension. Not sure what you consider "major renovations", but to achieve this you will need to install a new window, with Jamb Extensions attached, Brick-to-Brick style installation. But beware, if you have thin walls, you may not be able to fit a deep Jamb Extension, and may end up with a small 1"-2" sill, which you may not like. When you have a window guy come in, tell him that your goal is to maximize your jamb depth
Dec 3, 2013
53 posts
2 upvotes
Got 12 windows from VWD(Vinyl Window Designs)
First concern,
open welding spots on the corner of the windows and BMs

IMG_20190126_135521.jpg
IMG_20190126_140340.jpg
IMG_20190128_111219.jpg
IMG_20190130_082223.jpg
IMG_20190130_103729.jpg
Last edited by ivan0407 on Feb 14th, 2019 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 19, 2007
237 posts
92 upvotes
Guelph
Hi everyone,

What's the consensus on mini blinds within a sliding patio door? The obvious benefit is the nice aesthetics of having a self contained measure to block light or have privacy, compared to having external blinds. The drawback that I see is that the panes cannot be filled with Argon, but instead don't have anything but air, thereby reducing the R value of the door. In the grand scheme of things considering a 2700 sq ft house with over 25 window openings, will selection of one or two patio doors with mini blinds vs an Argon-filled door have any noticeable difference on heating or cooling bills (considering all of the other windows in the house are, or will be soon, triple glazed)? Curious as to what the experts' thought are on this. The doors I am considering are supplied by NorthStar. Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9185 posts
8011 upvotes
Oakville
ivan0407 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 8:15 am
Got 12 windows from VWD
First concern,

.IMG_20190126_135521.jpgIMG_20190126_140340.jpgIMG_20190128_111219.jpgIMG_20190130_082223.jpgIMG_20190130_103729.jpg
How did you find this? Are you DIY installing?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
8894 posts
1322 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Wow that looks pretty bad. If they wont take them back you would need to seal it with caulking or something I would imagine.
ivan0407 wrote:
Got 12 windows from VWD
First concern,

.IMG_20190126_135521.jpgIMG_20190126_140340.jpgIMG_20190128_111219.jpgIMG_20190130_082223.jpgIMG_20190130_103729.jpg
0_o
<_<
>_>
Feb 12, 2019
2 posts
Hi All - needing your professional opinion and experience on how to handle 'Air Infiltration' issues presently experienced in a new build home in Ontario with the developer, window manufacturer and ultimately Tarion in the Conciliation process.

Briefly, we closed on the new build home situated in Southern Ontario last year March2018 and air infiltration on multiple builder grade vinyl windows were noted and marked on the 30 day report. During the cold months wind was felt at the west facing side of our home at the corners of the casement windows, at the handles and locks and at locations where the sole weather strip/gasket was not sealing properly against the frame. Unfortunately, we are at the end of the street, high up on a hill with no homes, trees, etc to act as a wind block. The window manufacturer technicians have been out to service and adjust the operable windows throughout the year but to no avail. With the recent storms and winds, the rooms with these 'deficient' windows dropped considerably in temperature and wind was felt throughout. We had to temporarily seal and tape up the windows to stop this air infiltration and to maintain a comfortable heated room for the kids and ourselves.

With the most recent window manufacturer visit and their follow up report, they noted "the windows were manufactured according to specs and no issues found. Windows are not air tight and allow a certain amount of air in. Furthermore, they noted the seals were all up to standard and no adjustments can be made." Even with videos and images we took showing the amount of gaps they still deem their windows up to standard and there are no issues.

Obviously we feel otherwise - unfortunately this issue will most likely proceed to Tarion and its conciliation process at the 1 year reporting. We have been documenting the service visits, taking images of the temperature drops in the rooms - most of the time to 14-15 degrees C, taking temp readings of the internal window frame - ranges from low single digits to sometimes negative readings, videos of smoke tests with smoke blowing horizontal, etc. Attached are some images of the gaps in the gasket and what we are faced with.

We are now needing suggestions on how to prepare accordingly for Tarion Conciliation and what steps we can take and to prep ourselves with. Any comments/suggestions appreciated.
Images
  • IMG_0601.PNG
  • IMG_0602.PNG
  • IMG_0603.PNG
  • IMG_0604.PNG
  • IMG_0605.PNG
Nov 2, 2018
51 posts
25 upvotes
ivan0407 wrote:
Got 12 windows from VWD
First concern,

That is a critical manufacturing defect and I would not be accepting these windows. The gaps in the brickmould I don't believe are as problematic, but given the expansion coefficient of Vinyl, those welded corners could get even worse over time and become a real problem. Could you effectively seal them yourself? Probably. Should you be responsible for doing that? Hell no
Mar 13, 2018
66 posts
8 upvotes
Hak888 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 5:17 pm
Hi All - needing your professional opinion and experience on how to handle 'Air Infiltration' issues presently experienced in a new build home in Ontario with the developer, window manufacturer and ultimately Tarion in the Conciliation process.
Not a "professional" and I defer to their opinions, but as I've often read in this forum, you have "builder's windows" and you got what you paid for. The Pros commenting within this thread can point you towards both a quality product as well as a competent vendor / installer for replacement. Good luck.
Jan 7, 2013
378 posts
157 upvotes
Whitby Ontario
Hak888 wrote:

Briefly, we closed on the new build home situated in Southern Ontario last year March2018 and air infiltration on multiple builder grade vinyl windows were noted and marked on the 30 day report. During the cold months wind was felt at the west facing side of our home at the corners of the casement windows, at the handles and locks and at locations where the sole weather strip/gasket was not sealing properly against the frame. Unfortunately, we are at the end of the street, high up on a hill with no homes, trees, etc to act as a wind block. The window manufacturer technicians have been out to service and adjust the operable windows throughout the year but to no avail. With the recent storms and winds, the rooms with these 'deficient' windows dropped considerably in temperature and wind was felt throughout. We had to temporarily seal and tape up the windows to stop this air infiltration and to maintain a comfortable heated room for the kids and ourselves.

With the most recent window manufacturer visit and their follow up report, they noted "the windows were manufactured according to specs and no issues found. Windows are not air tight and allow a certain amount of air in. Furthermore, they noted the seals were all up to standard and no adjustments can be made." Even with videos and images we took showing the amount of gaps they still deem their windows up to standard and there are no issues.

Obviously we feel otherwise - unfortunately this issue will most likely proceed to Tarion and its conciliation process at the 1 year reporting. We have been documenting the service visits, taking images of the temperature drops in the rooms - most of the time to 14-15 degrees C, taking temp readings of the internal window frame - ranges from low single digits to sometimes negative readings, videos of smoke tests with smoke blowing horizontal, etc. Attached are some images of the gaps in the gasket and what we are faced with.

We are now needing suggestions on how to prepare accordingly for Tarion Conciliation and what steps we can take and to prep ourselves with. Any comments/suggestions appreciated.
Maybe you can add extra weatherstriping tape to the window as a stop gap method. But disappointing for sure.

I think you can adjust the multi point locking cams to seal the window tighter, but I assume the window guys tried that already.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
5378 posts
2210 upvotes
Paris
Hak888 wrote:
With this you are basically screwed. The manufacturer said their windows are hot garbage and performing to spec so the builder is off the hook. Now you need to prove the air infiltration is higher than as tested by Natural Resources Canada which will be extremely difficult and costly to do.

@anotherwindowpro Paging Phil to chime in but I doubt Tarion will do anything for you with that manufacturers report.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.