[Merged] Windows/Doors

Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2002
4033 posts
35 upvotes
Hamilton
torontotim wrote:
Nov 16th, 2019 10:42 pm
Andersen A Series is what I used - exterior is some sort of synthetic composite material available in a bunch of colours. The interior is wood, available painted white from the factory or other options.

Just make sure you do a 'brick to brick' installation. Completely remove the old window and any other old windows it was installed in (my 1910 house had aluminum windows installed inside the original wood window frames). You want to go all the way back to the original rough opening and install/insulate the new window properly to get the benefit of modern insulation etc.
Yeah I noticed that they have put 2x4 all round the aluminum window. Ok I will measure to brick. Thanks. Any recommended installers for a single window? Seems most expect a to install a days work at a time.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1940 posts
1051 upvotes
Toronto
Will be tough for a single window - best bet is to figure out which window you want, go to their dealers and ask for quotes.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2473 posts
355 upvotes
Ancaster
Jerico wrote:
Nov 18th, 2019 3:45 pm
My impression of Pollard is that they are builder grade. I dont know if they make better versions, but everything we take out is not good.

“Silver sand” is called “Pebble” by everyone else.
OK thanks Jerico.

Is there a window manufacturer that you have a preference for over other?

A friend of mine is currently getting his windows replaced and is using a company called Dell out of Stoney Creek.
Mar 25, 2002
539 posts
60 upvotes
Has anyone heard of SVS windows and doors in Toronto? My general contractor recommended them, doing a brick to brick installation.
Last edited by zeroburn on Nov 20th, 2019 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
7053 posts
3226 upvotes
Paris
synaptech wrote:
Nov 18th, 2019 3:59 pm
Yeah I noticed that they have put 2x4 all round the aluminum window. Ok I will measure to brick. Thanks. Any recommended installers for a single window? Seems most expect a to install a days work at a time.
Most people do prefer to work a day vs a few hours. Would you like it if your boss said to you to come in for 2 hours tomorrow instead of 8?
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
7053 posts
3226 upvotes
Paris
nielboy wrote:
Nov 19th, 2019 1:07 pm
OK thanks Jerico.

Is there a window manufacturer that you have a preference for over other?

A friend of mine is currently getting his windows replaced and is using a company called Dell out of Stoney Creek.
Dell is ok. I know someone that works there.

We have access to about 5 different manufacturers and I like VinylGuard the best. I like the way they run their company and service their dealers and customers, and their lifetime labour warranty. And they they don’t charge to transfer the warranty like Northstar which is just a deliberate ploy to break the warranty.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2473 posts
355 upvotes
Ancaster
Jerico wrote:
Nov 20th, 2019 11:42 am
Dell is ok. I know someone that works there.

We have access to about 5 different manufacturers and I like VinylGuard the best. I like the way they run their company and service their dealers and customers, and their lifetime labour warranty. And they they don’t charge to transfer the warranty like Northstar which is just a deliberate ploy to break the warranty.
OK thanks. I'll have to have a look at VinylGuard. I know Del Windows has a 20 year warranty on labour for seal failures and lifetime on the actual windows themselves.
Jul 21, 2009
33 posts
4 upvotes
I am looking for wood windows with aluminum outside. I have a quote from Pella (very expensive). Have an appointment with Marvin next week. Any other I should look into? Maybe one or two more. Like to have 3 to 4 quotes only before deciding. These two are Americans. Any Canadian or European in our market? Thanks.

Got it: Loewen and LePage. For those looking in that market and not wanting Anderson.
Last edited by DoubleB on Nov 23rd, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 22, 2007
63 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
So I had my upstairs windows replaced this week. Unfortunately, they got the order wrong on two of the windows so my washroom window is not frosted while my bedroom window is frosted. The dealer said they can easily replace the glass and have ordered the replacement inserts. However, I am leery that it will no longer be as well insulated and efficient as factory made. Any professional advice out there for me?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
7053 posts
3226 upvotes
Paris
drtse wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2019 11:01 am
So I had my upstairs windows replaced this week. Unfortunately, they got the order wrong on two of the windows so my washroom window is not frosted while my bedroom window is frosted. The dealer said they can easily replace the glass and have ordered the replacement inserts. However, I am leery that it will no longer be as well insulated and efficient as factory made. Any professional advice out there for me?
Super easy fix, will be just as insulated without an issue. No magic at the factory that can’t be done in your garage or after install for that. Just a huge PITA for the window company for the ordering mishap.

Edit: think of it as buying a new car and they put the wrong tires and rims on.
Feb 22, 2007
63 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks Jerico, that's comforting to know.

On another note, there were huge gaps between new replacement vinyl windows and the window opening. They said something about the exterior brickmold is tight and it was normal for the interior to be smaller and filled with foam to insulate better than the builders windows. Is that true and normal? I've attached some pictures...
Images
  • IMG_20191121_214843.jpg
  • IMG_20191121_214710.jpg
  • IMG_20191121_223333.jpg
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1940 posts
1051 upvotes
Toronto
To evaluate what the installer said about the exterior, a photo of that would help. But it looks good, aside from no visible evidence of shims. If they're buried in the insulation that's great. Sometimes I think installers treat sprayfoam like glue.
Feb 22, 2007
63 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Unorthodoxly, I noticed they shimmed from the exterior. Smaller windows they used 2 long screws into each side... Bigger ones they also screwed into the top and bottom frame opening.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
7053 posts
3226 upvotes
Paris
drtse wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2019 3:11 pm
Thanks Jerico, that's comforting to know.

On another note, there were huge gaps between new replacement vinyl windows and the window opening. They said something about the exterior brickmold is tight and it was normal for the interior to be smaller and filled with foam to insulate better than the builders windows. Is that true and normal? I've attached some pictures...
Builders these days generally use no brickmold and leave the accessory channel exposed and try and fill it with caulk to save nickels. So new windows do need to be moved it like this.

Looks all good. They do need to use some larger trim on them though.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)