[Merged] Wok Of Fame - Live Cooking Buffet

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2012 10:09 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 21, 2004
761 posts
1 upvote
Tried it out last night....won't go back ever, especially since there's Mandarin nearby for buffet.

The negative reviews in the Yelp link http://www.yelp.ca/biz/wok-of-fame-brampton pretty much sums up my experience!
*seems that most of the negative reviews are filtered...i wonder why?? Did the restaurant purchase advertising space on Yelp? A quick google search shows a lot of other people are not happy with the Yelp censorship

:facepalm: :arrowd:
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17605 posts
741 upvotes
Brampton
Looks insanely expensive considering its a bunch of food that mimics the stir fry table at Tuckers Marketplace or the Teppanyaki at Teriyaki Experience...
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
Nov 23, 2011
1 posts
MARKHAM
duckdown wrote:
Nov 26th, 2011 8:43 pm
Looks insanely expensive considering its a bunch of food that mimics the stir fry table at Tuckers Marketplace or the Teppanyaki at Teriyaki Experience...

Totally disappointing experience (hot food was cold, dessert was cheap, service was poor, living cooking ..... long wait!), recommend you all don't waste money there ....!!!!
Nov 25, 2011
1 posts
BRAMPTON
We went to Wok of Fame for dinner tonight. It was there "soft opening", so there was a 15% discount. When we first arrived it was a bit chaotic, but we had made reservations and were sat quickly. They are definitely still working on their hostess station and since it was the first Saturday night they were open, it was fairly controlled chaos. It is very nicely decorated and everything was clean. The food was good, however there were so many otptions we couldn't try it all. At the teppanyaki table you could choose your own meat and they grilled it for you. We were too full though! The stir fry station was was well organized and tasty. It is similar to Mongolian Grill where you choose your own noodles, and meat and take it to them to stir fry with the sauce of your choice. The non-alcoholic drinks are all included with your meal and include bottled juices and water. We can't comment on the sushi (neither of us eat sushi) or dessert because we were just too full!

I would have to say it is a mixture of Mongolian Grill, Mandarin and Teppanyaki restaurants. We both really enjoyed it and will go back again.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
154 upvotes
GTA
From the reviews here and on other sites, it sounds like a combination of Dragon Pearl, Mongolian Grill, Tuckers marketplace, asian style all rolled into one. Good to hear the drinks are included, this would make it close to the Mandarin's $25 weekend dinner price, Brampton $1 additional. Still waiting to see when we can go, would like to try it to judge for ourselves.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3109 posts
241 upvotes
Ronise1 wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 2:02 am
We went to Wok of Fame for dinner tonight. It was there "soft opening", so there was a 15% discount. When we first arrived it was a bit chaotic, but we had made reservations and were sat quickly. They are definitely still working on their hostess station and since it was the first Saturday night they were open, it was fairly controlled chaos. It is very nicely decorated and everything was clean. The food was good, however there were so many otptions we couldn't try it all. At the teppanyaki table you could choose your own meat and they grilled it for you. We were too full though! The stir fry station was was well organized and tasty. It is similar to Mongolian Grill where you choose your own noodles, and meat and take it to them to stir fry with the sauce of your choice. The non-alcoholic drinks are all included with your meal and include bottled juices and water. We can't comment on the sushi (neither of us eat sushi) or dessert because we were just too full!

I would have to say it is a mixture of Mongolian Grill, Mandarin and Teppanyaki restaurants. We both really enjoyed it and will go back again.
lol one post
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9781 posts
440 upvotes
Engi-Nir wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 7:25 pm
lol one post

I am 98% sure that it isn't what you are implying, though.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
2699 posts
72 upvotes
Etobicoke
wth is going on here... new members with one post saying different things. general consensus from other people is yay or nay?
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3072 posts
96 upvotes
Mississauga
thepersianguy wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 9:15 pm
wth is going on here... new members with one post saying different things. general consensus from other people is yay or nay?

The only true way of finding out is to go there yourself since people have different opinions and tastes.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
154 upvotes
GTA
We were at Hockey Sushi right across Wok of Fame today, just drove by...slowly lol and I could see it was packed for lunch, some people dressed in suits and dresses probably after church service were standing outside, noticed asians and south asians through the windows, anyway it doesn't really matter, place was just packed. Maybe we will see more reviews pop up. Don't think my fiance will want to go, we kinda like to eat fast and pay. But I am really interested in trying this place.
Mar 5, 2002
708 posts
21 upvotes
slowtyper wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 8:11 pm
I am 98% sure that it isn't what you are implying, though.

Agreed. Review is sincere enough and not over the top that this was the best restaurant around.

I'd like to try it...just have to find a time.
Cheers!
Tano
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1160 upvotes
thepersianguy wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 9:15 pm
Well, there's something called Google... And sometimes people actually click on the links they find there. And then if they feel they have an opinion worth sharing, they do so. ;)
http://www.google.ca/search?q=wok+of+fame

Most of the reviews on Yelp are from newbies too. It doesn't mean that they're shilling for the restaurant or its competition...

This place had the potential to be a big 'tourist' attraction for Brampton (i.e., east asians coming from Mississauga or Markham). :razz: But it looks like it's not heading that way, based on the reviews.
These folks have taken over RFD, so I'm done here.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
Mar 5, 2002
708 posts
21 upvotes
Ok...went there yesterday for lunch.

What can I say? Walking in, without bias, it looks huge with an overload of Asian/Oriental (not to confuse SE Asian) decor. Yes it is true that there is too much if you think about it without theme a central theme; but it leaves a lot to the imagination...almost childish and pure.

Anyways, floor tiles, tasteful, clean and shiny. (going to be interesting when the snow arrives...could be dangerous!)

Ok...food was ok. Nice idea but you could see that when it gets busy; there would be waaaayyyy too much bottleneck.

Two wokking stir fry sections with about 2mins to prep for each person.
Two Teppenyaki sections which take almost 5 minutes for prep (mind you...weekday for late lunch (1:30), these dishes were made to order and there were no line-ups for anything.)
The only issues is that one station does fish, the other meats. I take it when busy, they just continously cook.

Buffet table? Ugh...mismatched bowls and unattractive to boot. Looked like a Chinese Pot Luck...food was typical.

Sushi bar? Sigh...the sashimi was nut cut all the way through (ie - my salmon sashimi was was not separated through the belly...so i had a 12 pieces of salmon sashimi all connected together at the base.). It was frozen too...thawed out, but pre frozen. It tasted "ok" but mushy.

The sushi was ok, but like most ayce sushi, too much rice.

Desserts? Fail...cakes were still partially frozen!!!!

Drinks are ok...unlimited bottled juices, bottled water, milk and fountain soda.

Service:

No insult here intended...but the two hostesses were South East Asian which took away from the Oriental Asian effect Immediately. Ok, no biggie. But the hostess serving us had no clue! She took myself and my wife to a table and seated us when the manager stopped her and told her that someone else was already sitting there. Well...up again as she searched for a clan table. What a first impression.

Next...i think they are trying to follow the Mandarin model of keeping the tables clean, and to take away the dirty dishes; but for crying out loud...dont 't take away my plate before I'm finished eating off it!!! Sheesh!

My BIGGEST COMPLAINT: they must lace everything with MSG!

Near to the end of the meal, my wife and I sufferred that bloated, nauseousness as if you ate a tub of lard feeling. I only get that if I have had an MSG overdose. Ugh...sudden death.

Paid the bill (with discount and weekDAY lunch...$35.00 tax and tip in).

Verdict: as nice as the place is; at the existing price point, it won't survive. Weekend dinner at 19.99 migh be fair, but still that's too generous. However any less of a pricepoint and it won't be sustainable.

Unless they do something with this restaurant, I unfortunately can't see it lasting to next Christmas. Good idea, horrible pricing and execution.

I encourage everyone to try it at least once to make your own opinion. But for me, if given the choice of a Chinese Buffet experience, I'd rather go to The Mandarin and unfortunately it is competition with the Mandarin that will hasten the demise of this restaurant.

For cheap buffet...there is always Chan's which unfortunately i prefer to this place and 1/3 rd the price.
Cheers!
Tano
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
154 upvotes
GTA
tanmanwayne wrote:
Dec 8th, 2011 2:51 am
Ok...went there yesterday for lunch.

What can I say? Walking in, without bias, it looks huge with an overload of Asian/Oriental (not to confuse SE Asian) decor. Yes it is true that there is too much if you think about it without theme a central theme; but it leaves a lot to the imagination...almost childish and pure.

Anyways, floor tiles, tasteful, clean and shiny. (going to be interesting when the snow arrives...could be dangerous!)

Ok...food was ok. Nice idea but you could see that when it gets busy; there would be waaaayyyy too much bottleneck.

Two wokking stir fry sections with about 2mins to prep for each person.
Two Teppenyaki sections which take almost 5 minutes for prep (mind you...weekday for late lunch (1:30), these dishes were made to order and there were no line-ups for anything.)
The only issues is that one station does fish, the other meats. I take it when busy, they just continously cook.

Buffet table? Ugh...mismatched bowls and unattractive to boot. Looked like a Chinese Pot Luck...food was typical.

Sushi bar? Sigh...the sashimi was nut cut all the way through (ie - my salmon sashimi was was not separated through the belly...so i had a 12 pieces of salmon sashimi all connected together at the base.). It was frozen too...thawed out, but pre frozen. It tasted "ok" but mushy.

The sushi was ok, but like most ayce sushi, too much rice.

Desserts? Fail...cakes were still partially frozen!!!!

Drinks are ok...unlimited bottled juices, bottled water, milk and fountain soda.

Service:

No insult here intended...but the two hostesses were South East Asian which took away from the Oriental Asian effect Immediately. Ok, no biggie. But the hostess serving us had no clue! She took myself and my wife to a table and seated us when the manager stopped her and told her that someone else was already sitting there. Well...up again as she searched for a clan table. What a first impression.

Next...i think they are trying to follow the Mandarin model of keeping the tables clean, and to take away the dirty dishes; but for crying out loud...dont 't take away my plate before I'm finished eating off it!!! Sheesh!

My BIGGEST COMPLAINT: they must lace everything with MSG!

Near to the end of the meal, my wife and I sufferred that bloated, nauseousness as if you ate a tub of lard feeling. I only get that if I have had an MSG overdose. Ugh...sudden death.

Paid the bill (with discount and weekend lunch...$35.00 tax and tip in).

Verdict: as nice as the place is; at the existing price point, it won't survive. Weekend dinner at 19.99 migh be fair, but still that's too generous. However any lessof a pricepoint and it won't be sustainable.

Unless they do something with this restaurant, I unfortunately can't see it lasting to next Christmas. Good idea, horrible pricing and execution.

I encourage everyone to try it at least once to make your own opinion. But for me, if given the choice of a Chinese Buffet experience, I'd rather go to The Mandarin and unfortunately it is competition with the Mandarin that will hasten the demise of this restaurant.

For cheap buffet...there is always Chan's which unfortunately i prefer to this place and 1/3 rd the price.

Thanks, this is helpful. I foresaw a problem with live woking part when I saw the the premise for the restaurant. When it is busy the made per order will be hard, though without seeing the restauarant 1st hand I wonder is it just making a batch of food fresh in front of clientle.

On the open to Xmas, maybe, but when we were at Hockey sushi 2 weekends ago, there was a lineup outside the door. If others had a similar experience as you did, I would think they are in trouble. Repeat customers are the key for survival in F and B.
Feb 13, 2007
87 posts
9 upvotes
Brampton
tanmanwayne wrote:
Dec 8th, 2011 2:51 am

I think Chan's might be closed.

But back to Wok of Fame. I just love this place but I have to agree about the pricing. The difference between lunch and dinner, and weekday and weekend is too steep and tough to justify. I really enjoy the fish on the grill and the stir fry. The hot table is adequate and could stand improvement but I don't use that section as often as the others. I wish them luck. Hopefully, they incorporate the current 15% discount into new standard pricing and narrow the "prime time" price premiums.
× < >