Expired Hot Deals

[Meridian] Meridian $300 chequing account offer

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2020 1:29 pm
Jun 23, 2017
125 posts
75 upvotes
Finally got mine! Thank you all for the help and guidance!

So I fully qualified and did everything right but the Advisor who opened up my account apparently forgot to input the promotion code. She was kind enough to do it manually and give me the bonus at branch level. Also, for those who got charged a transaction/interest charge at the bank level, my Advisor was also kind enough to waive it off.

Question for you all, as I need the cash, can I withdraw at Meridian branch and then close it over the phone?
May 19, 2009
531 posts
377 upvotes
Vancouver
Xom wrote: I transfer out balance via e-transfer. Left enough money in the account so that it covers for the e-transfer fee.
Then send secure message. Could not login to the account very next day.
Sorry if it's a stupid question; how much was the e-transfer fee?

I was charged $1 for paying for my credit card bill with it last year so I haven't transferred money out from it (I read in this thread that others have been charged $1 as well since they moved the threshold from $1000 - $2000... which is annoying, I also didn't get notified about it). Since I got the $300 bonus now as well, I was thinking about just paying my chequeing account balance -$1 towards my credit card bill, and then send them a secure message to close account once the money shows up on my credit card. Would that work?
Jun 13, 2019
238 posts
163 upvotes
M1Pxxx
ninjasmilez11 wrote: Finally got mine! Thank you all for the help and guidance!

So I fully qualified and did everything right but the Advisor who opened up my account apparently forgot to input the promotion code. She was kind enough to do it manually and give me the bonus at branch level. Also, for those who got charged a transaction/interest charge at the bank level, my Advisor was also kind enough to waive it off.

Question for you all, as I need the cash, can I withdraw at Meridian branch and then close it over the phone?
If you're withdrawing at branch, you can close it as well. Why do you want to call again?

Other option is ATM withdrawal or e-transfer the entire fund (minus transaction fee) and then call to close. Transaction fees would be reimbursed on the last day, if you maintained minimum balance.
Dec 23, 2001
695 posts
48 upvotes
So I was originally encouraged to apply for the promo by a CSR and I later specifically verified with a second CSR, recorded the date, time & message. Here we are 10 months later and they are refusing to pay out as I was already a member when I opened the chequing account and received other bonuses for unrelated accounts.

The second CSR specifically said I would qualify because I have never had a chequing account with them.

So... I'm allowed to get both misinformation and encouragement from 2 separate employees, jump through hoops for more than 6 months, paid them fees... only for them to reneg on what I was told. Not a happy camper and I don't see why I would trust this bank with my money.

Too bad, their platform wasn't half bad.
Heat: 159-0-0
May 9, 2011
85 posts
17 upvotes
EDMONTON
Invincible wrote: So I was originally encouraged to apply for the promo by a CSR and I later specifically verified with a second CSR, recorded the date, time & message. Here we are 10 months later and they are refusing to pay out as I was already a member when I opened the chequing account and received other bonuses for unrelated accounts.

The second CSR specifically said I would qualify because I have never had a chequing account with them.

So... I'm allowed to get both misinformation and encouragement from 2 separate employees, jump through hoops for more than 6 months, paid them fees... only for them to reneg on what I was told. Not a happy camper and I don't see why I would trust this bank with my money.

Too bad, their platform wasn't half bad.
Did you escalate? Im currently waiting for my escalation claim to be reviewed.
Dec 6, 2013
676 posts
244 upvotes
Ontario
mkannuri wrote: I am on the same boat but i escalated to get it reviewed manually and its been 10 days and no response.
I had two payments in November and none in September so they said I am not qualified for the promo. How did you escalate and how did it go?
Last edited by xfftwf on Mar 19th, 2020 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:cool:
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2007
1242 posts
218 upvotes
Mississauga
xfftwf wrote: I had two payments in November and none in September so they said I am not quality for the promo. How did you escalate and how did it go?
called few times and they took their own sweet time and finally they credited manually.