• Last Updated:
  • Jun 24th, 2023 4:02 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
3173 posts
3128 upvotes
Toronto

Motusbank Thread

Meridian has finally given details around their new bank. It's going to be called motusbank and It will offer services similar to the credit union side. Also they're calling their customers members (even though they won't actually hold shares in the credit union)

More details can be found here. They expect to launch the bank fully by sometime this spring.
Thread Summary
Links:
* Motus Bank Home Page
* Meridian CU thread here.

Transferring funds to your account:
* Interac eTransfer - Probably the quickest/easiest, as funds are usually transferred and available within minutes. Setting up auto-deposit from the app is possible (Menu -> Interac e-Transfer -> Manage -> Sender Profile -> Autodeposit).
* Internally - Account-to-Account - If you have multiple accounts, you can transfer funds between them freely, and funds are transferred and available immediately.
* Money Mover Transfers from Linked Account - You can link to an account at a different financial institution, and "pull" funds. While motusbank claims 3 business days, in practice I've experienced around 5 business days for the transfer to go through (and balance to be updated), and then around 2-3 business days for the funds to clear (i.e. become available), so very slow.
* EFT Direct Deposit (for chequing accounts) - Branch/Transit #20002, Institution #374. Log into https://banking.motusbank.ca and select your checking account to see the Motusbank Account #.
* Cheque Deposit (via App) - Take a photo of front/back of cheqeue using App.
* ATM - Use any ATM in The Exchange network, including: Alterna Bank, Canadian Western Bank, Manulife Bank, National Bank of Canada, and HSBC Bank. For a full list, click here.

Incentives:
* $50 for opening chequing account - YMMV. Unadvertised promo, but many new members have reported being offered $50 to open a chequing account approximately a month after a different product (e.g. LOC) is opened. As of this writing, seems no obligation or strings attached (no need to set up PAD, bill payments, etc.). See this post for some intel.
755 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
I saw this as well. Really light on details so far. But I hope they can put up a good online experience when Tangerine, Simplii and PC are going backwards, not forwards.
- casual gastronomist -
Feb 9, 2018
606 posts
520 upvotes
Sounds interesting. More competition is always better. Hope they offer better HISA savings rates.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2012
1047 posts
490 upvotes
Trois-Rivières, QC
I'll get excited when (or rather if) they announce that their products are available in Quebec...
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10745 posts
7903 upvotes
Global Village
I like the name. They will use the Exchange ATM network nationally and compete with Tangerine/Simplii/EQ on rates. No branches. No fee chequing with unlimited free interac e-transfers.

Hope eventually they offer a hybrid high interest savings account like EQ that lets you pay bills, send/receive free interac E-transfers but with ATM access which will be better. Add a TFSA savings account with a good everyday rate and EQ's in trouble.
Link:
https://www.meetmotusbank.ca

Edit: It's live, rates below:
https://www.motusbank.ca/Support/Rates? ... r=view-all
Last edited by scoper on Apr 1st, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All day I dream about sports

Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii, CIBC Investor's Edge
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2017
2542 posts
1049 upvotes
CND Brain & Hear…
I'm leaning towards this instead of Alterna :)))))))))) we'll see
Give me a J. I'm a maniac and an African expert.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario
scoper wrote: Hope eventually they offer a hybrid high interest savings account like EQ that lets you pay bills, send/receive free interac E-transfers but with ATM access which will be better. Add a TFSA savings account with a good everyday rate and EQ's in trouble.
Link:
https://www.meetmotusbank.ca
There already is such a beast. It's called the Alterna Bank eSavings acct. Been lovin' it for a few years now. 2.35%, bill payments, ATM w/d free at The Exchange ATMs, unlimited Interac e-transfers, debit payments. And unlike EQ, joint accts are possible. What else do you need?
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay, AF $0
MBNA RWE 5.4% grocery/resto
Bank: EQ (1.5%)
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2012
1047 posts
490 upvotes
Trois-Rivières, QC
scoper wrote: I like the name.
I'm curious, what does the name inspire to you? I'm a Francophone and the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the name was the latin interjection "Motus", which means more or less "Hush!" or "Quiet!"
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10745 posts
7903 upvotes
Global Village
airodyssey wrote: I'm curious, what does the name inspire to you? I'm a Francophone and the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the name was the latin interjection "Motus", which means more or less "Hush!" or "Quiet!"
To me its a cool, short form for motivations, I am not a Francophone though. Motus would also be a cool name for a supervillain..
Last edited by scoper on Feb 15th, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10745 posts
7903 upvotes
Global Village
minimalist wrote: There already is such a beast. It's called the Alterna Bank eSavings acct. Been lovin' it for a few years now. 2.35%, bill payments, ATM w/d free at The Exchange ATMs, unlimited Interac e-transfers, debit payments. And unlike EQ, joint accts are possible. What else do you need?
Thanks, looks like they have a tfsa savings account at the same 2.35% rate which is cool. Any fees?

Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
3173 posts
3128 upvotes
Toronto
airodyssey wrote: I'll get excited when (or rather if) they announce that their products are available in Quebec...
The new bank seems to be available to all Canadians
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
3173 posts
3128 upvotes
Toronto
scoper wrote: Thanks, looks like they have a tfsa savings account at the same 2.35% rate which is cool. Any fees?
For most stuff you do with Alterna there are no fees. Pretty good bank tbh.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2012
1047 posts
490 upvotes
Trois-Rivières, QC
jacnel wrote: The new bank seems to be available to all Canadians
I just assumed they would be unavailable in Quebec because their website is in English only.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
3173 posts
3128 upvotes
Toronto
airodyssey wrote: I just assumed they would be unavailable in Quebec because their website is in English only.
Valid but they haven't fully launched yet so maybe the French is coming later
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
2048 posts
636 upvotes
Alberta
Terrible name.

But, as long as they give us free credit, who cares.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
2950 posts
1611 upvotes
airodyssey wrote: I'm curious, what does the name inspire to you? I'm a Francophone and the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the name was the latin interjection "Motus", which means more or less "Hush!" or "Quiet!"
For me, it's too close to "POTUS" and all that implies.
Oct 22, 2012
452 posts
836 upvotes
www.meetmotusbank.ca

They are the new online only arm of Meridian Credit Union (thanks @evoviii )

They claim to be:
- CDIC insured
- opening spring 2019
- offering a great mortgage rate at launch for people who sign up to receive their promotional emails (and presumably become "members")

Probably worth signing up if you're in the market for a mortgage, if only to see what a marketing department considers an "unreal" mortgage rate!
Last edited by Erumuh on Feb 11th, 2019 10:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jun 27, 2011
336 posts
528 upvotes
MONTRÉAL
Thats not a hot deal.... thats marketing
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
4995 posts
2427 upvotes
Markham
After googling it, it's Meridian credit union's new online subsidiary. So it's legit. Whether the "unreal" is good or not who knows, pretty sure that you won't need to sign up if it's a really good interest rate as it will be plastered all over RFD if it is when it's launched.

Meridian has been expanding/marketing pretty aggressively

Not a fan of the name but I don't care much about that.
Jan 27, 2009
237 posts
240 upvotes
Ottawa
Why not. Mortgage is up for renewal this year
so i’ll follow.
Darryl

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)