Hot Deals

[Meridian Credit Union] Meridian 1.98% Mortgage Rate - 2 Year Fixed [ONTARIO]

Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
3999 posts
1301 upvotes
scottmg wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 2:14 pm
Should probably ask that question to a financial advisor.
yep, I'll do just that for sure, before signing anything.

but I'm just wondering.. and we do have a few financial advisor on these boards. :)
Mar 11, 2013
2 posts
1 upvote
Stress test applies to any new homebuyers looking to get a new mortgage regardless if it's a bank or credit union or through another institution.
Jul 26, 2008
161 posts
43 upvotes
def47 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 2:21 pm
yep, I'll do just that for sure, before signing anything.

but I'm just wondering.. and we do have a few financial advisor on these boards. :)
Please post your results! I am in the same boat.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2010
4341 posts
1543 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
bahlsonal wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 2:36 pm
Stress test applies to any new homebuyers looking to get a new mortgage regardless if it's a bank or credit union or through another institution.
You know that for a fact?
Or you are just saying?
Because I read they were trying to force it in credit union too, but they were just talking about it.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Aug 23, 2005
365 posts
126 upvotes
Hamilton
bahlsonal wrote:
As of today, credit unions are still exempt as they're not federally regulated though they are still allowed to apply their own stress tests.

https://www.bankofcanada.ca/2018/11/sta ... e-2018-35/
Aug 3, 2005
805 posts
560 upvotes
bahlsonal wrote:
Wrong.

Credit Unions are exempt.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2005
1551 posts
714 upvotes
I have 1.5 years left until my mortgage renewal with Desjardins. Does anyone know if Meridian pays the early termination fee? I know that I sometimes see promos from other banks that offer to pay the early termination fee up to a few thousand dollars.
I'll Keep It Short and Sweet. Family, Religion, Friendship ... These Are the Three Demons You Must Slay if You Wish to Succeed in Business
Sep 16, 2013
594 posts
278 upvotes
SW ON
scottmg wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 2:14 pm
Should probably ask that question to a financial advisor.
Better to ask an adviser, not advisor.
Apr 6, 2017
589 posts
357 upvotes
Westmount, QC
hightech wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 3:33 pm
You might still need insurance if your credit is poor. There are situations where lenders ask for this.
With CMHC?
probably with the bank.
I don't see anywhere in the site where it states you need to take an insurance with CMHC
Nov 17, 2008
311 posts
88 upvotes
Brampton
husamus156 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 3:44 pm
With CMHC?
probably with the bank.
I don't see anywhere in the site where it states you need to take an insurance with CMHC
This is what my Meridian Agent said in regards to this 1.98% promo and putting 10% down on a condo:
"As you are looking to put 10% down, this is considered a high ratio deal, nothing changes in terms of your rate, you would have a premium that is added to your mortgage balance as the home has to be registered through the high ratio program."
~ Turbinator

Zoomer: 40$ 5GB Loyalty Plan
Rogers: 99$ Gigabit/VIP+HBO
RedFlagDeals: Buy Now Think Later :)
Mar 12, 2009
119 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
Please let me know if anyone finds out regarding if they will pay for termination fee.
I have 1 year 5 months left on my mortgage.
Thanks.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
12872 posts
1624 upvotes
Toronto
Turbinator_007 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 3:56 pm
This is what my Meridian Agent said in regards to this 1.98% promo and putting 10% down on a condo:
"As you are looking to put 10% down, this is considered a high ratio deal, nothing changes in terms of your rate, you would have a premium that is added to your mortgage balance as the home has to be registered through the high ratio program."
They would go to either CMHC, Canada Guaranty or Genworth for insurance. They will offer this rate as a high ratio as you mentioned. If your credit is poor, you may not qualify for the low late and need insurance at the BOC rate.

Thread Information

There are currently 6 users viewing this thread. (4 members and 2 guests)

xenocidic, BoomMojo, NCR-Manchester, Cartman86