Expired Hot Deals

Meridian CU: Get $100 By Opening a Good To Grow HISA (EXTENDED)

• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2018 6:55 pm
Jul 13, 2017
150 posts
46 upvotes
ofertasgo wrote:
Dec 17th, 2017 2:53 pm
Was opening the account on line kind of easy? Do you mind to elaborate?

I just dont want to go thru the "Simplii" process described in other threads here.

I'm a snow bird returning to Canada in a couple of months and would like to apply for the extra $100, why not? ;)

TIA
I'm more concerned about how easy is it to CLOSE the account. Painless/easy to do? Anybody with experience doing it online (I don't reside near a B&M location).
Temp. Banned
Feb 2, 2014
1412 posts
915 upvotes
The 6
ForlornHope wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 6:19 pm
I'm more concerned about how easy is it to CLOSE the account. Painless/easy to do? Anybody with experience doing it online (I don't reside near a B&M location).
Very hard to close your account...

It's like going through a messy seperation with a stalker who just can't take the fact that you're just not into her/him for an answer!!!!

I kid you not. Caveat emptor
Jul 13, 2017
150 posts
46 upvotes
DrunkenStupor wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 7:28 pm

It's like going through a messy seperation with a stalker who just can't take the fact that you're just not into her/him for an answer!!!!

Much thanks....think I'll pass on this deal.
[OP]
Oct 20, 2009
168 posts
63 upvotes
Just share my experience. I closed my account and my mom's account on Friday evening (YONGE/HWY 7) when the branch manager was already off for the weekend. Very smoothly. less than 10 minutes. They didn't have that much cash, so they offered to deliver cheques to my home in the next few business days.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
1601 posts
1710 upvotes
maskdoll wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 9:46 am
Just share my experience. I closed my account and my mom's account on Friday evening (YONGE/HWY 7) when the branch manager was already off for the weekend. Very smoothly. less than 10 minutes. They didn't have that much cash, so they offered to deliver cheques to my home in the next few business days.
Don't you have to keep the 100$ you got in the account for a certain amount of time?
When you upvote my posts, this is what happens:
My wife loves me more😂, my car goes faster😎, my house becomes bigger😐, My boss gives me a raise😁.

Fact check, none of the above is valid.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
6303 posts
2336 upvotes
ON
PriceHunter wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 10:19 am
Don't you have to keep the 100$ you got in the account for a certain amount of time?
90 days.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
6303 posts
2336 upvotes
ON
ForlornHope wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 6:19 pm
Just leave it open, why are you so keen on closing it ? I left mine, 0 balance there's no overdraft, what can they do that would harm me in any way ?
Jul 13, 2017
150 posts
46 upvotes
dilligafeh wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 11:17 am
Just leave it open, why are you so keen on closing it ? I left mine, 0 balance there's no overdraft, what can they do that would harm me in any way ?
Does the following (from Meridian Personal Accounts and Services booklet) apply to this account?

"Other Account Services and Associated Fees:

INACTIVE ACCOUNTS AND CLOSING ACCOUNTS

Inactive account $30 per year"

I got charged something like ten bucks for an inactive visa credit card once (Scotiabank).

I can't be bothered to remember transfering one dollar to & from the account periodically (heh, too lazy to set-up an auto system if that's even possible).
Oct 19, 2007
606 posts
291 upvotes
whatyoulookinatbud wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 11:07 am
Is this taxed? Should I open a tfsa with them just for this...
Do you want a guaranteed 10% return on your $1000 investment? Then do it.
Oct 26, 2016
115 posts
107 upvotes
whatyoulookinatbud wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 11:07 am
Is this taxed? Should I open a tfsa with them just for this...
These offers are almost always just funds awarded, it's not interest or capital gains.. basically not treated as income. In the T&C it should state that too.

Even if it was taxed... why would you mess with your contribution space (since you'll be taking it out if you're like most of the rest of us) for a relatively low amount?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
6303 posts
2336 upvotes
ON
ForlornHope wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 11:42 am
Does the following (from Meridian Personal Accounts and Services booklet) apply to this account?

"Other Account Services and Associated Fees:

INACTIVE ACCOUNTS AND CLOSING ACCOUNTS

Inactive account $30 per year"

I got charged something like ten bucks for an inactive visa credit card once (Scotiabank).

I can't be bothered to remember transfering one dollar to & from the account periodically (heh, too lazy to set-up an auto system if that's even possible).
Not sure. Maybe for chequing accts ?
Jul 11, 2008
948 posts
369 upvotes
DrunkenStupor wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 7:28 pm

Account can be closed over the phone or does it have to be done in person?
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1194 posts
593 upvotes
Edmonton
I closed my account over the phone. Completely 100% pain-free.
May 6, 2008
37 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
I opened Meridian account, I got the $100 bonus incentive as well as daily interest 1.4%