• Jul 17th, 2019 4:24 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
1678 posts
1182 upvotes
Guelph, ON
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 7th, 2018 1:15 pm
It's an odd one. It's HISA until end of year, with scheduled transfer to TFSA on Jan 1st.
Yeah it's strange. It's to get people into their TFSAs it seems.
I like credit unions.
Member with DUCA Credit Union. Accounts with Tangerine, BMO, and EQ Bank.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
5637 posts
4785 upvotes
Here on earth
Funds are now available for the last round of promo deposited on Sept 07.
Last edited by coolintheshade on Dec 9th, 2018 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
5637 posts
4785 upvotes
Here on earth
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 9th, 2018 11:52 am
Finally. Just transferred out.
Me too, right after I made that post.
Now time to cancel and wait for the next one that I qualify for Face With Tears Of Joy
Aug 9, 2011
56 posts
17 upvotes
NORTH YORK
angryaudifanatic wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 11:00 am
Meridien's 3.15% offer is now gone?!
WOW! It is a good thing I acted Nov 30 and got in and moved all my $ from Tang...
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2010
1712 posts
697 upvotes
ON
Here's a datapoint...
I transferred the bonus $ out of Meridian savings and once confirmed it was out I sent a "secure message" within the online site.
I asked them to close my membership and my account.
I haven't heard anything since. I went to login just now and it gave an error, something to the effect of "invalid member id".

No email confirmation... just can't login. Interesting.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2017
2538 posts
1022 upvotes
CND Brain & Hear…
effortless opening process LOL. Got one immediately.

Soft check and auto-approval online account opening:
- Coast Capital FCU
- Meridian CU
- Alterna Bank (YMCA)
I am being targeted over Internet Relay Chat. Please help me.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
2653 posts
681 upvotes
Ontario
Good article on Meridian's upcoming ebank, "motusbank" to be launched later this year:

https://business.financialpost.com/news ... ional-bank
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay
Bank: Alterna (2%+, no fees)
Brokers: IB (For. stocks/low comm)/Reg. RBCDI(service, USD)
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2017
2538 posts
1022 upvotes
CND Brain & Hear…
Seems like a very Ontario mind when it comes to fund holding. I will deposit lots of $20 for them to review my account lol
Jun 18, 2018
700 posts
357 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone know if Meridian would honor their new rate for the 18 months TFSA GIC at 3.25%? I believe I went in at 2.5% a year ago. I remember something about only if its changes within 30 days or something but dont remember.
Nov 9, 2017
577 posts
56 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 6:45 pm
10. The $1 member share is funded by them, unless you opt to fund it from your money. Afaik no advantage in putting your own loonie.
Wait, what? They never tell about that option in branch. I think they even say it's a must to be paid by client. Also, I have no clue what the $1 is about but something important since they are making a big deal of it. Is it JUST the $1 that matters to them? or something legal or otherwise behind this?
Also, what does share is funded by them mean? so is this like a fee to pay if you want and don't if you don't want? What is the benefit of paying it or not? Can you chose to not pay for next year if first year is paid?
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 6:45 pm
22. Sign up online, soft pull.
Good info to know. Had no clue branch is bad for this too. If you apply for their credit card, there is another FI related to them that also hits your credit hard.

They have RRSP 1% bonus on total of a transfer and 3.25% for 4 months on NEW TFSA and RRSP accounts.
Jun 13, 2018
580 posts
425 upvotes
They do take their time. I opened an account on Dec 16, mobile deposited a cheque for $1,000 and all I have available is $0.66, the interest from December :) All for the $100 bonus. Keep checking every day, still on hold.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2017
2538 posts
1022 upvotes
CND Brain & Hear…
snowhite445 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 7:37 pm
Wait, what? They never tell about that option in branch. I think they even say it's a must to be paid by client. Also, I have no clue what the $1 is about but something important since they are making a big deal of it. Is it JUST the $1 that matters to them? or something legal or otherwise behind this?
Also, what does share is funded by them mean? so is this like a fee to pay if you want and don't if you don't want? What is the benefit of paying it or not? Can you chose to not pay for next year if first year is paid?
every CREDIT UNION has MEMBERSHIPS SHARE. Typically $5 and refundable upon account closure.
Meridian plays it easy for online account opening - soft credit check and free $1 for MEMBERSHIPS SHARE.
ritzcrv wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 8:04 pm
They do take their time. I opened an account on Dec 16, mobile deposited a cheque for $1,000 and all I have available is $0.66, the interest from December :) All for the $100 bonus. Keep checking every day, still on hold.
according to the CSR, fund holding is up to 20 days. I guess business days? LOOLL
have you got the bonus? I have yet received
Jun 13, 2018
580 posts
425 upvotes
dekvitaly wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 8:30 pm
according to the CSR, fund holding is up to 20 days. I guess business days? LOOLL
have you got the bonus? I have yet received
I think it's 90 days from opening so I'm not too worried about making a withdrawal. The cheque cleared my simplii account on Dec 18th
Nov 9, 2017
577 posts
56 upvotes
ritzcrv wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 8:04 pm
By law, no bank can hold a cheque more than the maximum 7-8 days unless there is an abnormality of course (example: fraud etc)