• Last Updated:
  • Mar 16th, 2019 11:36 pm
May 19, 2015
940 posts
363 upvotes
Centre of the Univer…
So I made an account when the 100 promo was still up but I forgot to deposit the 1k over the holidays - do you think I can still get it if I deposit it now? Was going to call in tomorrow but if someone knows now?...
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone

Thumbs up if this post helped you 👍🏻☺️
Jun 13, 2018
414 posts
267 upvotes
snowhite445 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 10:42 pm
By law, no bank can hold a cheque more than the maximum 7-8 days unless there is an abnormality of course (example: fraud etc)
I asked by way of SM, they have a policy of holding cheques for 20 business days on a new account to be reviewed in 6 months as the relationship builds. My reply was no worries, the deposit is just there long enough for the $100 wb
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2010
1429 posts
515 upvotes
ON
ritzcrv wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 12:35 am
I asked by way of SM, they have a policy of holding cheques for 20 business days on a new account to be reviewed in 6 months as the relationship builds. My reply was no worries, the deposit is just there long enough for the $100 wb
lol, idjits. Hopefully their new bank does things right
Mar 1, 2003
151 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
I'm overseas right now, does anyone know if you need to be physically present to create an account at Meridian CU? (for identity verification etc..)
Nov 21, 2015
34 posts
33 upvotes
-37.68611 176.16667
tick wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 5:59 am
I'm overseas right now, does anyone know if you need to be physically present to create an account at Meridian CU? (for identity verification etc..)
No. do it online... they do a credit check. .. easy, peasy...takes 2 minutes
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18391 posts
3062 upvotes
GTA West
tick wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 5:59 am
Some people were told to go into a branch. But for me it was all on done online. I have never been inside a Meridian branch in my life.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Jul 2, 2014
147 posts
30 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I tried opening a chequing account with Meridian. And there was consent box for a credit check. Can anyone confirm if it pulls a hard credit check or soft credit check?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18391 posts
3062 upvotes
GTA West
vabandroid wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 12:16 pm
I tried opening a chequing account with Meridian. And there was consent box for a credit check. Can anyone confirm if it pulls a hard credit check or soft credit check?
It is a soft check on Equifax.
Nov 9, 2017
378 posts
27 upvotes
ritzcrv wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 10:33 am
i know the regs, this is a new account.
I don't see anything on that link that says New Accounts are exception.
Jun 13, 2018
414 posts
267 upvotes
snowhite445 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 12:53 pm
I don't see anything on that link that says New Accounts are exception.
I guess you could have read your own link
Exceptions
The above-mentioned maximum cheque-hold periods and access to the first $100 may not apply to:

an account that has been open for less than 90 days
a cheque that has been endorsed more than once
a cheque that is deposited six months or more after it was dated
cheques that are not issued in Canadian dollars
cheques issued from an account at a bank branch outside of Canada
a deposit that a financial institution has reasonable grounds to suspect is being made for illegal or fraudulent reasons
My point on this thread has been about the archaic nature of some FI's that try to be forward thinking wrt to technology, but fail in actual service. They, Meridian, accept mobile cheque deposit, but for some inane reason choose to hold for the entire cheque clearing process from back in the day where the paper had to clear the clearing house & be returned to the issuing bank to confirm the signature matches a paper card.
I understand kind of their reasoning, the number of scams using fake "official cheques" is a pandemic. My cheque was from a reputable FI that uses optical imaging for all deposits.
Jul 2, 2014
147 posts
30 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 12:18 pm
It is a soft check on Equifax.
Thanks. I went ahead and opened an account. Do you know how long does it normally take for them to complete my account opening? I guess I have to wait until the account opening has been processed in order to apply for a credit card.

V
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18391 posts
3062 upvotes
GTA West
vabandroid wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 1:46 pm
Thanks. I went ahead and opened an account. Do you know how long does it normally take for them to complete my account opening? I guess I have to wait until the account opening has been processed in order to apply for a credit card.
I don't remember how long everything took. The actual debit card came in the mail around 2 weeks after opening.
I was able to initiate linking to other bank accounts within less than 1 week after opening.
Nov 9, 2017
378 posts
27 upvotes
ritzcrv wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 1:05 pm
I guess you could have read your own link

My point on this thread has been about the archaic nature of some FI's that try to be forward thinking wrt to technology, but fail in actual service. They, Meridian, accept mobile cheque deposit, but for some inane reason choose to hold for the entire cheque clearing process from back in the day where the paper had to clear the clearing house & be returned to the issuing bank to confirm the signature matches a paper card.
I understand kind of their reasoning, the number of scams using fake "official cheques" is a pandemic. My cheque was from a reputable FI that uses optical imaging for all deposits.
Yeah, agreed. Let's not forget they will hold the cheque and profit from it because you won't be able to take it out. They held my DRAFT for 7 days and said a Certified Cheque they won't put a hold on but then another rep said they will hold certified cheque too...anyhow, the regular bank reps BS that goes on and on...