• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2019 4:24 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
11016 posts
7544 upvotes
South Pole
Why do ppl here want to mobile snap a chq to Meridian when you can do initial funding via e-transfer? I suppose snap a chq if it's for a large amount...but a $5k+ chq for a new account will probably be held anywhere.

Just e-transfer $1-3k and call it a day. Setup me to me transfers and move more later.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Jun 13, 2018
572 posts
405 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 3:34 pm
Why do ppl here want to mobile snap a chq to Meridian when you can do initial funding via e-transfer? I suppose snap a chq if it's for a large amount...but a $5k+ chq for a new account will probably be held anywhere.

Just e-transfer $1-3k and call it a day. Setup me to me transfers and move more later.
Some of these banks want the cheque as a form of identification. I snap a chq for simplii, $1,000 is clear. Snap a chq for Tang, $5,000 is clear. Snap a chq for Meridian, they freeze it. The deposit accumulated interest the entire time though & it's not like I plan to use any of it for the next 90 days.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
11016 posts
7544 upvotes
South Pole
ritzcrv wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 5:19 pm
Some of these banks want the cheque as a form of identification. I snap a chq for simplii, $1,000 is clear. Snap a chq for Tang, $5,000 is clear. Snap a chq for Meridian, they freeze it. The deposit accumulated interest the entire time though & it's not like I plan to use any of it for the next 90 days.
  • I've been with Simplii since PCF, so I signed up at a now non-existent pavilion. I heard Simplii can ask you to show ID at a CIBC branch
  • Tang I was able to e-transfer. I heard for ID, they send you to a post office
  • Meridian was easy to e-transfer. I guess I passed the soft pull on that one.
  • Was asked the multiple choice questions from the bureau for EQ and CTFS. CTFS was a $1 chq. EQ was a me-to-me link.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Jun 13, 2018
572 posts
405 upvotes
I guess some SM reader didn't like my comment, they locked my account access this morning. After a long phone wait the rep put me back on hold again, then the reply was someone had some reason to lock the account, but that person can't be found to find out why. hee haw this is some ass backwards FI. The rep then got all argumentative when I said, "How can I trust that Meridian hasn't stolen my deposit, am I supposed to wait for 20 days to hear from this person?"

I still want the $100.
Jul 2, 2014
162 posts
35 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I just applied for a Visa Infinite credit card using the ratesupermarket promotion link.

"Your application has been sent on to an analyst for further review. You will be contacted in the next 7-10 business days if additional information is required."

How long does it usually take for them to respond?

Thanks in advance,
V
Jul 2, 2014
162 posts
35 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 2:24 pm
I don't remember how long everything took. The actual debit card came in the mail around 2 weeks after opening.
I was able to initiate linking to other bank accounts within less than 1 week after opening.
Thanks. It only took 1 business day for them to process my account opening.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
11016 posts
7544 upvotes
South Pole
ritzcrv wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 1:01 pm
I guess some SM reader didn't like my comment, they locked my account access this morning. After a long phone wait the rep put me back on hold again, then the reply was someone had some reason to lock the account, but that person can't be found to find out why. hee haw this is some ass backwards FI. The rep then got all argumentative when I said, "How can I trust that Meridian hasn't stolen my deposit, am I supposed to wait for 20 days to hear from this person?"

I still want the $100.
I admit that Meridian is quite the odd credit union. They closed down my USD chq account. I guess i won't be expanding my product portfolio with them any time soon.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
2594 posts
655 upvotes
Ontario
I still have a Meridian HISA open after collecting the $100 bonus last summer. What's my best strategy? Close it and wait for the next promo? It seems they only give bonuses to new HISAs?
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay
Bank: Alterna (2%+, no fees)
Brokers: IB (For. stocks/low comm)/Reg. RBCDI(service, USD)
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
11016 posts
7544 upvotes
South Pole
minimalist wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 4:31 pm
I still have a Meridian HISA open after collecting the $100 bonus last summer. What's my best strategy? Close it and wait for the next promo? It seems they only give bonuses to new HISAs?
This, or convince friends to sign up with your referral.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2010
1636 posts
860 upvotes
GTA
titaniumtux wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 11:46 pm
This, or convince friends to sign up with your referral.
I did not know there is a referral program for Meridian. Is there a website link or some reference to learn more about it? I checked online and could not find anything other than some posts from years ago.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
11016 posts
7544 upvotes
South Pole
martydxb wrote:
Mar 11th, 2019 11:37 am
I did not know there is a referral program for Meridian. Is there a website link or some reference to learn more about it? I checked online and could not find anything other than some posts from years ago.
Those of us with Meridian got the info via email. Not sure whether you can find it once logged in. I never looked for it. Grabbed the link from the email and saved it.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2010
1636 posts
860 upvotes
GTA
titaniumtux wrote:
Mar 11th, 2019 1:29 pm
Those of us with Meridian got the info via email. Not sure whether you can find it once logged in. I never looked for it. Grabbed the link from the email and saved it.
oh ok, thanks for checking.

I know someone who signed up a few months ago, I don't think they have the email but ill check again.
Aug 30, 2015
455 posts
167 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
hey guys random question... I opened a Meridian account and this is my first CU account, sorry if this is a noob question. I asked the lady to open a 18 months GIC within my RRSP and she did. A month later I asked her to do this again and now I have 2 GICs in my online banking. I assume this is because they have different maturity dates, but is this something normal? Let's say I want to contribute monthly to GICs in my RRSP, so in 18 months I will have 18 different GIC accounts within my RRSP? This seems odd for some reason
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
4101 posts
1494 upvotes
Global Village
pca1987 wrote:
Mar 11th, 2019 3:36 pm
hey guys random question... I opened a Meridian account and this is my first CU account, sorry if this is a noob question. I asked the lady to open a 18 months GIC within my RRSP and she did. A month later I asked her to do this again and now I have 2 GICs in my online banking. I assume this is because they have different maturity dates, but is this something normal? Let's say I want to contribute monthly to GICs in my RRSP, so in 18 months I will have 18 different GIC accounts within my RRSP? This seems odd for some reason
Nothing unusual about having multiple GIC's, in fact there is an investment strategy called "GIC laddering" based on it.
All day I dream about sports
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
11016 posts
7544 upvotes
South Pole
scoper wrote:
Mar 11th, 2019 6:38 pm
Nothing unusual about having multiple GIC's, in fact there is an investment strategy called "GIC laddering" based on it.
Interesting. I thought of starting a GIC every three months, that way after a while, I could cash out every three months. Didn't know the name was coined. Not sure whether it's worth it with HISA musical chairs.