Credit Cards

[Meridian Visa] 4% cash back on G&G, 2% on Rx&PAP VISA card (First $25,000 in purchase)*No limited time

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2019 10:37 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2763 posts
1182 upvotes
Everywhere
I think Meridian cards may be available to everyone now? Maybe? I just saw a banner ad while on RFD, I'm located in BC.

Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2763 posts
1182 upvotes
Everywhere
I do not live in Ontario, but I started to see some banner ads on RFD for Meridian loans and credit cards. The link brought me to the credit card section.
However, I kept browsing and found this...

https://www.meridiancu.ca/Personal/Join ... ab-panel-1

I also went through most of the site and could not find any mention that required one to reside in Ontario.

Open for business finally
Last edited by batcave on Aug 22nd, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temp. Banned
Aug 24, 2016
5167 posts
4180 upvotes
We’re all a little s…
The banking has always been available across Canada, for a few years anyway.
It’s apparently only lending products that are restricted to Ontario residents.
So yes, anyone that lives in Canada can apply for membership, you just can’t have any credit products unless you’re an Ontario resident.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2763 posts
1182 upvotes
Everywhere
coolintheshade wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 7:34 am
The banking has always been available across Canada, for a few years anyway.
It’s apparently only lending products that are restricted to Ontario residents.
So yes, anyone that lives in Canada can apply for membership, you just can’t have any credit products unless you’re an Ontario resident.
When you click through, it's show borrowing. Also, why would I get Meridian banner ads if I'm in BC?
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
1326 posts
877 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Like coolintheshade said Meridian hasn't officially launched its credit products outside of Ontario yet, so I doubt you'll be able to get their credit products outside of Ontario. The good news is, Meridian does allow anyone in Canada to open a bank account.

Personally I'd wait until the fall/winter when Meridian's new national bank is expected to launch (expect it to be like Alterna's Alterna Bank).
I like credit unions. Proud DUCA member!
Temp. Banned
Aug 24, 2016
5167 posts
4180 upvotes
We’re all a little s…
batcave wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 1:00 pm
When you click through, it's show borrowing. Also, why would I get Meridian banner ads if I'm in BC?
No idea.
What I do know is, I get banner ads all the time for Coast Capital, and I’m not from BC.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2763 posts
1182 upvotes
Everywhere
jacnel wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 1:14 pm
Like coolintheshade said Meridian hasn't officially launched its credit products outside of Ontario yet, so I doubt you'll be able to get their credit products outside of Ontario. The good news is, Meridian does allow anyone in Canada to open a bank account.

Personally I'd wait until the fall/winter when Meridian's new national bank is expected to launch (expect it to be like Alterna's Alterna Bank).
We will see I guess because I did click through the banner ad and apply for a card with my BC address.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
1326 posts
877 upvotes
Guelph, ON
batcave wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 1:51 pm
We will see I guess because I did click through the banner ad and apply for a card with my BC address.
Hmm maybe they changed things but who knows Meridian is a bit strange with out of province customers it seems.
I like credit unions. Proud DUCA member!
Temp. Banned
Aug 24, 2016
5167 posts
4180 upvotes
We’re all a little s…
jacnel wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 2:01 pm
Hmm maybe they changed things but who knows Meridian is a bit strange with out of province customers it seems.
It wasn’t long ago that @Kiraly applied for a Meridian credit card, and had to jump hoops as a non Ontario resident, just to obtain the card.
It may be different now, since Collabria is issuing the cards presently, instead of Cuet’s.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2763 posts
1182 upvotes
Everywhere
coolintheshade wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 2:26 pm
It wasn’t long ago that @Kiraly applied for a Meridian credit card, and had to jump hoops as a non Ontario resident, just to obtain the card.
It may be different now, since Collabria is issuing the cards presently, instead of Cuet’s.
Let's hope. Collabria just checked my credit so maybe.
Jan 16, 2007
579 posts
399 upvotes
I think the system automatically pulls credit, even if you aren't technically eligible. (It happened to me with an Alterna Savings card).
Penalty Box
Dec 16, 2017
1853 posts
726 upvotes
Raincouver
joshnet wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 2:59 pm
I think the system automatically pulls credit, even if you aren't technically eligible. (It happened to me with an Alterna Savings card).
alterna bank or cu?? so confusing yeah lol
CAN/USA Cross Border Banking

Netflix? Bill me in Turkish Lira, Watch Me around the world.
Temp. Banned
Aug 24, 2016
5167 posts
4180 upvotes
We’re all a little s…
batcave wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 2:51 pm
Let's hope. Collabria just checked my credit so maybe.
You’ll receive an email when approved, at least I did 6 hours after applying for the Mortgage Alliance credit card.
Jan 16, 2007
579 posts
399 upvotes
dekvitaly wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 3:44 pm
alterna bank or cu?? so confusing yeah lol
Alterna Savings is the CU, Alterna Bank is the bank subsidiary. Alterna Bank does not have credit cards.