• Last Updated:
  • Jan 1st, 2019 10:52 pm
Deal Fanatic
May 7, 2007
5405 posts
1487 upvotes
Darkman wrote:
Dec 24th, 2018 1:47 pm

Okay ... I called this Mr. Wolfe ... and left him a message ...

Hopefully he'll call me back (one of these days) ... and I'll tell him my "member experience".

And then see if he can help me in any way ... (unless, if you are denied (talking about credit card application), even someone like him cannot overwrite that decision any longer).

This reminded me of the song "What's the Time Mr. Wolf?" (from the movie "Once Were Warriors") :)

Deal Fanatic
May 7, 2007
5405 posts
1487 upvotes
Darkman wrote:
Dec 24th, 2018 1:47 pm
Okay ... I called this Mr. Wolfe ... and left him a message ...

Hopefully he'll call me back (one of these days) ... and I'll tell him my "member experience".

And then see if he can help me in any way ... (unless, if you are denied (talking about credit card application), even someone like him cannot overwrite that decision any longer).
Well ... Mr Wolfe called me today ... and we friendly chatted for a bit ...

He checked out this Red Flag Deals Meridian thread already (before calling me)... and chuckled at me providing Song about Mr. Wolf.

He knew exactly who I was seemingly ... I told him that I was "Darkman" on RFD :)

The bottom line is ... he listened to me .. but cannot help me ... Credit Card is a lending product ... and lending product, he said, are offered to Ontario residents only ...

There are SOME "out of province" Meridian clients who have their credit card ... but basically those have had some sort of long time good standing with them ... -- say had bank accounts with Meridian for a long time etc ... with some decent amount of money in those accounts etc.

Anyhow ... that's that.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
6422 posts
2463 upvotes
ON
Darkman wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 2:33 pm
Well ... Mr Wolfe called me today ... and we friendly chatted for a bit ...

He checked out this Red Flag Deals Meridian thread already (before calling me)... and chuckled at me providing Song about Mr. Wolf.

He knew exactly who I was seemingly ... I told him that I was "Darkman" on RFD :)

The bottom line is ... he listened to me .. but cannot help me ... Credit Card is a lending product ... and lending product, he said, are offered to Ontario residents only ...

There are SOME "out of province" Meridian clients who have their credit card ... but basically those have had some sort of long time good standing with them ... -- say had bank accounts with Meridian for a long time etc ... with some decent amount of money in those accounts etc.

Anyhow ... that's that.
I would've escalated to Mr. Tiger or Mr. Lion, before giving up.
Nov 3, 2018
62 posts
55 upvotes
Datapoint here

I applied mid-late October. I applied online for both the savings account and credit card on the same day. I got these for 2 separate reasons - the savings account for the 3.15% for 6 months promo; the credit card for G&G spend (I had used the TD Cashback Infinite up until right around that time and downgraded to the free version after nearly a year using it for G&G and FYF.) I was not aware that with Meridian, you needed one for the other until reading this thread just now, so I guess it's a happy coincidence that I applied to both anyway.

The whole process was fairly smooth, except one hiccup: I went in branch to show my ID when I received the email to do so (within I think it was 1-3 days after applying.) 2 weeks after that, I called Collabria to ask about the application. They said everything is in order, they are just waiting for me to go into the branch to show my ID before they actually mail the card out to me. I told them I did this 2 weeks ago. They looked into it, and found that when I did, the Meridian branch worker who checked my ID missed a checkbox or something in the system. Seeing this to be the case, the Collabria worker went ahead and pushed my application through to mail my card out. Received the card ~3 days after this fact.

I have been fairly happy with my overall experience so far.

Some additional notes:
I had chosen the Meridian over the Scotia Momentum for the exact reason of being able to cash out before the anniversary to avoid the annual fee of the second year, just as others have mentioned in this thread.

I got a ratehub bonus of $100 amazon gift card. At the time, there was not promo for Scotia.
Now that the Scotia Momentum promo active, I did some calculation: the promo is 10% for the first $2000 spent. Let's say that for that first $2000 I put on the Scotia Momentum Visa half of it is for G&G, and half for non-category spend, this what it is worth:
10% of $1000 G&G = $100. Of that $100, $60 of it is above the 4% you would normally already have gotten. So the bonus is worth $60.
10% of $1000 non-category = $100. Of that $100, $90 is above the 1% you would normally already have. So it is worth $90. (*However if you're like me and use for example Roger WE for non-category spend at 1.75%, then I consider the 10% WB to be worth an 8.25% gain, not a 9% gain, as 1.75% would be what I would otherwise have gotten from that portion of my spend.)
The makes the bonus worth ~$150, not $200. Still good gains, but I don't consider the WB a $200 gain. In any case, I still don't like the inflexibility of the November statement credit.

One point against the Meridian Visa, is that my bank HSBC does not have Meridian as a payee. So to pay my card balance, I have to either use paytm (which I do), or transfer funds to my Meridian account and then pay the Meridian Visa from there.
Deal Fanatic
May 7, 2007
5405 posts
1487 upvotes
dilligafeh wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 3:27 pm
I would've escalated to Mr. Tiger or Mr. Lion, before giving up.
Maybe you got the point there ... Cuz,

I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter
Dancing through the fire
'Cause I am a champion, and you're gonna hear me roar
Louder, louder than a lion

I am a survivor! :D

Feb 21, 2014
419 posts
259 upvotes
Toronto
Can confirm this company is disorganized. I am a a member as well. When I signed up for it a few months ago for the $100 they had no idea about the offer or when I was going to get it, just that I "just wait in the mail for it". This was a different but same promo only they were sending the Visa cards directly. I had to call them about 5 times for them to actually send the card out then I just ended up cancelling it and getting the card later. Really not a great image if you are going to use this card as a daily thing and certainly not worth paying an annual fee for this level of service.
Jun 4, 2015
22 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
OK so I just got the card after applying end of November, when I also opened up an online savings account. I've called the activation number, and now I need to wait a few days to receive the pin in the mail. It's been quite the trip, never thought this would take as long as it has. My Scotia Momentum VISA Infinite was way easier to get, all done and received card in a week.

I'm switching over to this because of the travel insurance benefits. Had I known about the hassle, I would probably still have done it but definitely would have adjusted my expectations. That's really the key sell here, I think, because I would have stuck with my Scotia otherwise. The redemption option is better too, not once per year, but that wasn't the biggest deal to me since I don't switch CC often. Let's just hope that in case I ever need to make a claim, that they can manage to get it done for me. The annual fee is worthwhile for all the gas and groceries I put on this card (I use a MC for everything else).

Customer Service was all right, since I'm in Ontario and actually near a physical branch, so I verified my ID easily. People on the phone seemed to be ok, no.."knowledgeable" per se, but I guess had enough to get me to my goal eventually.

The website seems OK, has all the usual stuff. I was hoping you could change the PIN online or request credit increase online, but you can't, so that will put me in contact with customer service, and I don't know how that will go. I noticed the grace period is 25 days, as opposed to 21 days I see elsewhere. As long as I can get my limit up in a little while, and they keep giving me cash back, and the card can make payments, I don't really need much more service beyond that.

As a point of interest, I find that the physical card seems a little flimsier than my Scotia card...and other credit cards. Maybe it's in my head, or maybe new CC are all that way, but just something I noticed when I held it for the first time.
Mar 28, 2011
119 posts
53 upvotes
Oakville
shampygarg wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 5:01 pm
.....Not giving me much confidence to process claims when the time comes or any fraudulent activity happens.....
Bingo!
I asked myself, if it's so bad right now, what's next? if any fraud happens?
Mar 28, 2011
119 posts
53 upvotes
Oakville
Kiraly wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 9:24 am
You must be a member of any Ontario credit union before they can give you a credit card. This is by provincial law. I was able to open my account and get my membership online, no branch visit necessary (closest one is 4,000km away anyway)
I'm member of one of Ontario Credit Unions.
Should I fight with them for this piece of plastic if I can have any credit card in Canada with my score?
Nope. Never again.
Jul 2, 2014
133 posts
25 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Do I need to be in Ontario to get this card? Has anyone got this in Alberta?
Jun 4, 2015
22 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
What's the highest credit limit that someone has accumulated thus far? I just got mine with 7.5k, but I'd like to have about 20-25k to match the Scotia Infinite that I'm giving up.

About the concern with customer service for claims or fraud....I guess I'm hoping for the best at this point. My experience hasn't been too bad, slower than I've encountered elsewhere, but eventually gets done. If there's fraud, I'd expect it has VISA's backing that they will keep my liability at zero, but it may take some time to process. I guess that comes with the territory of being a credit union, just smaller than a big bank. Also, the insurance is underwritten by other companies too, so...let's hope it's ok.

By the time I got the card, I had already had my credit queried, so the damage was already done. The process was already started, so there was no looking back. I'm going to cancel the Scotia when this settles a little and I've used it a couple months, but I'll give it a go. Worse case scenario is, if the experience is that bad, I would cancel and get the Scotia card back. Can't imagine it would be that bad.
Oct 26, 2011
363 posts
157 upvotes
vabandroid wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 11:34 am
Do I need to be in Ontario to get this card? Has anyone got this in Alberta?
In Alberta here. I got it no problem back when they launched it nationwide in the Fall.

I would recommend signing up for a meridian bank account first. They have a few no fee ones. Then once you have ID approved (I had to send in a bank statement from another Canadian bank with my current address and name on it) and account number you can use that in your CC application.

Not sure this Mr. Wolf guy knows what he's talking about as I seem to remember the Meridian card being specifically advertised by the CU as being available for all Canadian residents.

Edit: read through this thread starting at page 14: meridian-visa-4-cash-back-g-g-2-rx-pap- ... 164775/14/

I remember being targeted by Google Ads for this card as well with an Alberta IP. Strange they would pay to advertise this card all across Canada if it was only for Ontario.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
6422 posts
2463 upvotes
ON
digitalatlas wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 1:42 pm
What's the highest credit limit that someone has accumulated thus far? I just got mine with 7.5k, but I'd like to have about 20-25k to match the Scotia Infinite that I'm giving up.

About the concern with customer service for claims or fraud....I guess I'm hoping for the best at this point. My experience hasn't been too bad, slower than I've encountered elsewhere, but eventually gets done. If there's fraud, I'd expect it has VISA's backing that they will keep my liability at zero, but it may take some time to process. I guess that comes with the territory of being a credit union, just smaller than a big bank. Also, the insurance is underwritten by other companies too, so...let's hope it's ok.

By the time I got the card, I had already had my credit queried, so the damage was already done. The process was already started, so there was no looking back. I'm going to cancel the Scotia when this settles a little and I've used it a couple months, but I'll give it a go. Worse case scenario is, if the experience is that bad, I would cancel and get the Scotia card back. Can't imagine it would be that bad.
I have a 25k limit. I got rid of the Scotia because their way of redemption for the rewards is BS and it effectively doubles the yearly fee unless you're willing to forfeit your rewards. I had to pay the full yearly fee to get my rewards in November and now that I've paid for use of the card, I can't do anything with it unless I'm prepared to pay the fee again if I want my rewards for the year in November again.
Feb 11, 2015
79 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto, ON
dilligafeh wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 4:42 pm
I have a 25k limit. I got rid of the Scotia because their way of redemption for the rewards is BS and it effectively doubles the yearly fee unless you're willing to forfeit your rewards. I had to pay the full yearly fee to get my rewards in November and now that I've paid for use of the card, I can't do anything with it unless I'm prepared to pay the fee again if I want my rewards for the year in November again.
Well, I was in the same boat, my yearly fee was on the exact same statement as the reward pay out. I waited for the statement, made sure that I don't use the card for any activity after the statement was issued, called Scotia to downgrade the card to the no fee cash back visa and asked them to give me back the yearly fee as I haven't used it at all, which they did.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
6422 posts
2463 upvotes
ON
nightshademi wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 8:25 pm
Well, I was in the same boat, my yearly fee was on the exact same statement as the reward pay out. I waited for the statement, made sure that I don't use the card for any activity after the statement was issued, called Scotia to downgrade the card to the no fee cash back visa and asked them to give me back the yearly fee as I haven't used it at all, which they did.
Mine was a couple of months before November no such luck with getting the fee back. Still have the card as it's paid till Sept but I have not used it and will probably cancel it one I've had the Meridian for a few months with no problems.