Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Meridian Visa Infinite Cash Back, FYF + $100 cash + up to 4% cash back

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2020 9:30 am
Mar 28, 2011
229 posts
210 upvotes
Local Ontarian Scotl…
chewy101 wrote: This was exactly my experience, except you had much more patience than I did. As soon as I went to the branch and got a general atmosphere of "We have no idea what we are doing" from every branch employee I knew this was one business to stay far far away from.

Good luck to those of you who got the card. Pray you never have a problem with any transactions.
It was my first thought )) If they are sooooo disorganized and painful now .... what's next?
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10483 posts
7613 upvotes
ON
Jfg346 wrote: "Scotia Momentum® Visa Infinite Card" seems better.
100$ more (10% up to 200$, so if you spend at least 2000 you have 200$). Plus it's a popular company, with Google Pay and other stuff. Your deal isn't bad but it isn't hot either,in my opinion.
Have a good one
But in actuality isn't. Yearly redemption means you have to pay the fee for 2 years to be able to get your money otherwise it's lost. (I have the Scotia Infinite Momentum and I just had to go through this issue, so I am replacing it with this)
With this one, you get to redeem at 50$ so when you decide to cancel the card you won't lose much if at all.
Btw, I just got my E-transfer of 100$ today from RateSupermarket. Everything went smooth as could be for me, I feel sorry for the others who had trouble taking advantage of this deal.
Dec 27, 2007
725 posts
573 upvotes
dilligafeh wrote: But in actuality isn't. Yearly redemption means you have to pay the fee for 2 years to be able to get your money otherwise it's lost. (I have the Scotia Infinite Momentum and I just had to go through this issue, so I am replacing it with this)
With this one, you get to redeem at 50$ so when you decide to cancel the card you won't lose much if at all.
Btw, I just got my E-transfer of 100$ today from RateSupermarket. Everything went smooth as could be for me, I feel sorry for the others who had trouble taking advantage of this deal.
Have you been already a Meridian member prior to applying for this card?
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10483 posts
7613 upvotes
ON
kkostadinof wrote: Have you been already a Meridian member prior to applying for this card?
I had opened an account online last year when they had the 100$ bonus for a deposit of 1000$. I withdrew the money once I got the bonus and didn't have any activity since.
Dec 27, 2007
725 posts
573 upvotes
dilligafeh wrote: I had opened an account online last year when they had the 100$ bonus for a deposit of 1000$. I withdrew the money once I got the bonus and didn't have any activity since.
I think that explains your relatively smooth experience. The non-members like myself have experienced the nearly identical horror story as Collabria, which handles the credit card side, is expecting an existing Meridian member profile for EACH applicant before they finalize the credit card application and that's where the process flow is horribly broken.
Dec 27, 2007
725 posts
573 upvotes
Update: I finally received my credit card today - over a month since the approval email I received.
There was NO way to get it without first opening a membership account at a Meridian branch.
And guess what - they did not issue a supplementary card for my wife, despite this being part of the initial credit card application which they supposedly reviewed and approved.

I *surmise* they expect her to be a member as well lol.

Utter clowns - stay FAR away from these dilettantes!
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3663 posts
1174 upvotes
Mars
wonderbuy wrote: I saw this deal Monday afternoon but after i post info on RFD this deal became unavailable......
Hopefully it can keep alive for a while this time...

Meridian Visa Infinite Cash back:
--Pay no annual fee for the first year
--Receive $100 in cash via Interac e-Transfer
--Earn 4%* cash back on gas and grocery store purchases
--Earn 2%* pharmacy purchases and utility bill payments
--Earn 1% cash back on all other eligible purchases

https://www.ratesupermarket.ca/deals/me ... source=925

never used ratesupermarket.ca, how does this interac e-transfer work? do i get 100 like ebates to my paypal?
Deal Addict
May 2, 2017
1766 posts
3653 upvotes
My process went alright but not smooth.
Called in, told to open a savings account, opened one and sent a photo of my documents, received email of approved visa day after, received card week after, received an email etransfer sometime a week after activation.
Aug 18, 2016
279 posts
346 upvotes
forgetpwd wrote: never used ratesupermarket.ca, how does this interac e-transfer work? do i get 100 like ebates to my paypal?
I received a $100 Visa gift card
Dec 27, 2007
725 posts
573 upvotes
forgetpwd wrote: never used ratesupermarket.ca, how does this interac e-transfer work? do i get 100 like ebates to my paypal?
You will receive an Interac email from Ratesupermarket for $100. It looks the same as any other Interac eTransfer email you get from anyone else.
Dec 27, 2007
725 posts
573 upvotes
Seanne wrote: My process went alright but not smooth.
Called in, told to open a savings account, opened one and sent a photo of my documents, received email of approved visa day after, received card week after, received an email etransfer sometime a week after activation.
I received the Interac transfer from RSM before the actual card lol - as I said total clowns.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2012
1145 posts
544 upvotes
Beket wrote: Disgusting experience - Stay away. Tell your friends and neighbours, kids and grandkids in the future))

. Made an application online and Credit Card was approved in one week, received confirmation email where been asked to call to customers service desk or come to the branch to confirm my identity. (had hard credit check. (my score is 829)

. Called to CS, 50min. on the line with 3 reps and one supervisor. Rep#1 told that they cannot confirm my identity by the phone and email, rep#2 told that they can and switched me to underwriters dep. #3 told that they probably!!!! (W#F) can confirm with one more credit check (W#F#2!), but i need to be a Meridian member. Superviser #1 told that all previous info is bull###, and she is only one who understand everything right - I do not need to be a member for only credit card, they confirm identity by phone and somebody (specially trained) will call me soon.

. Nobody called me soooon, and after one week I gave up. I called them again 60 min. Rep#4 - (again) told that it's impossible to confirm identity by the phone (may be "normal banks" do not know this)), switched to super#2 she told that she definitely is the best and all previous info was bull### (it seems they are sisters with super#1)) and i must visit branch and I do not need to be a member to have a credit card. Just bring my passport and Dr.licence to the branch and I'll see my card in the postal box in a few days. Okay. I trusted her.

. Saturday.... 1 h. drive for me to visit branch... I did this. Visited branch in Brampton. 30 min. they scanned my passport and dr.licence, marked copies with my application# and I was told that i do not need anything else - "just check your postal box"

. Week later... I gave up again and called them by myself - 1 h. 30 min. total time with all departments... I called to Credit card department, they checked my file and I was told that my application is still waiting for approval Face With Tears Of Joy. My argument that, I've already recieved the confirmation by email and wellcome email signed by their president, didn't work - the rep #100... and Super#3 told me that they never communicate with customers by email and it's probably a fraud Face With Tears Of Joy. They asked me to send them their confirmation email to confirm that their email is authentic (thank you super#3 - you've made my Friday, it was the best financial experience for years..) Also, I was told that they have nothing in my file to confirm my identity and I have to call to the branch who scanned my documents. - "return to level#1 of the game"

. Hey, but I'm strong guy, I always finish my task....... I called to the branch 40min time and it's successes!!! after 40min! they found my documents and called me back (I really appreciate, this guy was the first who called me back from Meridian for last month, promised and actually called back, I think he has bright future, may be next Meridian president ))). So, because he called me back, I immediately gave him my trust credit. So, He told me that all information I received before was wrong... ( surprise :facepalm: ) and I must have Meridian membership to go further, and I need to visit branch (1h. ) and apply for membership account (40min) and ..... they need to do one more credit check to confirm my identity.Face With Tears Of Joy

. I gave up. I will never win this battle.

VERDICT (IMHO) - Meridian is the most disorganised and unprofessional financial organization I've ever seen for last 25 years. I lost hours of my my life and tons of efforts with ZERO results. Lack of trainings and responsibility of employees and management makes this company very uncomfortable for me, as a customer.

p.s sorry for spelling.))
The exact same thing happened to me with HSBC. I applied and received credit card. I visited and called the branch multiple times to activate and to confirm my identity. I gave up in the end and told them to just close my Credit card.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19723 posts
28591 upvotes
Vancouver
Beket wrote: He told me that all information I received before was wrong... ( surprise :facepalm: ) and I must have Meridian membership to go further
kkostadinof wrote: There was NO way to get it without first opening a membership account at a Meridian branch.
You must be a member of any Ontario credit union before they can give you a credit card. This is by provincial law. I was able to open my account and get my membership online, no branch visit necessary (closest one is 4,000km away anyway)
Mar 4, 2007
367 posts
123 upvotes
Kanata
danobrien wrote: For anyone who does manage to actually get the card, they are doubling the cashback on all credit cards for the month of December. I got an email about it yesterday as I have a chequing account with them.

Shop like always for the holidays – and double your points
Has anyone been able to confirm whether this deal applies to every customer of this card? I hadn’t received an email.
Jun 4, 2015
159 posts
69 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I'm going on 3 weeks since applying and have yet to receive it. I opened a savings account on the same day so I had a membership number to put into the application. I got the 7-10 day email immediately, but didn't hear back so I sent a secure message through my online account (since I got a savings account).

The CSR was actually very friendly and prompt and replied the same day that she would investigate and follow up, she then replied again the next day to say that I needed to visit a branch to verify my ID, and that I should have received an email to that effect. I in fact did not receive such an email, nevertheless, I went to a branch the same day because luckily a branch opened up about 10 minutes from my home.

I went to the branch and the CSA looked at my ID, she said she uploaded the info, and that I should let the CC application know that my ID has been confirmed. So I sent another message back through the secure messaging, but did not get any reply. That was Dec 13, which is only 2 business days, but still...surprising given the quick reply to my initial message. I'm thinking that perhaps it's going through, but no one gave me an update.

So there're some annoyances, doesn't really live up to my expectations for service. Never had to wait so long for everything to go through for a credit card, not that I have applied to many, but Scotia and MBNA were both pretty quick, or at least got back to me quickly that they needed info or whatever. I'm pretty sure it will sort itself out, but not very impressed so far. I'm not so soured on it, the way it seems some people on this thread have been, but it's definitely not top level service. Maybe that's more the speed for a credit union. All in all, not terrible, but "not terrible" isn't exactly high praise. Haha.
Oct 23, 2018
106 posts
30 upvotes
dsi wrote: Has anyone been able to confirm whether this deal applies to every customer of this card? I hadn’t received an email.
I think I got this mail at the end of November so maybe Meridian hadn't entered your email address into their system at the time that the mail was sent?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2012
1878 posts
810 upvotes
Winnipeg
Kiraly wrote: You must be a member of any Ontario credit union before they can give you a credit card. This is by provincial law. I was able to open my account and get my membership online, no branch visit necessary (closest one is 4,000km away anyway)
that means, I can't apply since I am a Manitoba resident. I called Meridian support 3 times and spoke with supervisors..they said, it is only for Ontario residents..however it is contrary to what they have online available to Canadian residents.. Confused.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19723 posts
28591 upvotes
Vancouver
shampygarg wrote: that means, I can't apply since I am a Manitoba resident. I called Meridian support 3 times and spoke with supervisors..they said, it is only for Ontario residents..however it is contrary to what they have online available to Canadian residents.. Confused.
Residents of any province can become Meridian members. Meridian credit cards used to be restricted to Ontario residents but are now open to residents of all provinces and territories. It sounds like you had really bad luck with Meridian member support. I've never lived in Ontario either but they gave me one:

Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2012
1878 posts
810 upvotes
Winnipeg
Thanks! so clearly they are issuing the cards to non Ontario residents. Did they ask you any identification proof? if yes did you send them online or did it ask you upload a copy during the application process? As far as I know, it requires a regular HISA or any another online saving account first before you apply?
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1982 posts
1453 upvotes
Toronto
Never been a fan of annual fees.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)