Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Meritline

Meritline - USB AA / AAA Battery Charger with Red LED Light Indicator $0.79 shipped

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2012 11:34 am
Tags:
None
10 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 10, 2008
15200 posts
35260 upvotes
Nation's capital
caveat_emptor wrote: Good to charge eneloop?
Will tell you once i receive it in a few weeks lol ,says 160mA / hour , so a slow charge . 79 cents , worth a try .
Jan 11, 2008
205 posts
42 upvotes
stephroll wrote: coupon code MLCK810WNL1 Limit 600
Worth noting tho', that the coupon code is only good for ONE (1).... any others are at the 2.99 price.
(and you can only use the coupon code once - you can't enter another order and use the code again)
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2010
1319 posts
76 upvotes
Mississauga
Would anyone be concerned that this "low end" product (i am NOT saying that is bad in any way) could damage your laptop's USB port (electrically, of course) ?
It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt (Mark Twain) Assumption is the mother of all "foul-ups" (Under Siege 2: Dark Territory 1995) None of us knows anything, not even whether we know anything or not (Metrodorus of Chios, 4th century BC)
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Forgive me, but using a USB would be quite a trickle recharge for batteries, ie; take a long time. If you are not depleting your unplugged notebook and using this with your desktop, why not just use the outlet or power bar and a normal wall charger?
Use it on a long car ride with your 12V USB?

It feels like I'm watering the plants with a kinked hose.

If I needed another charger, I'd be more inclined to spend more on an extra wall charger, no?

Correct me if I'm wrong, the deal doesn't seem to equate to the extra time required to wait for a full charge.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2011
1928 posts
2774 upvotes
Halifax
oldpro wrote: Would anyone be concerned that this "low end" product (i am NOT saying that is bad in any way) could damage your laptop's USB port (electrically, of course) ?
not unless it was wired incorrectly. Usually you get a couple chances before it causes permanent damage, but not always. Try it without batteries first and if nothing bad happens, yer good to go. While I agree it probably is cheap and cheaply made, the comparison should be to a $5 charger, not the $40 that retails stores charge, so it's probably not that bad.
AncasterRFD wrote: Forgive me, but using a USB would be quite a trickle recharge for batteries, ie; take a long time. If you are not depleting your unplugged notebook and using this with your desktop, why not just use the outlet or power bar and a normal wall charger?
Use it on a long car ride with your 12V USB?

It feels like I'm watering the plants with a kinked hose.

If I needed another charger, I'd be more inclined to spend more on an extra wall charger, no?

Correct me if I'm wrong, the deal doesn't seem to equate to the extra time required to wait for a full charge.
it's cheap. I would guess that it would take about 9 hours to charge 2 2200mah if fully dead. I do agree, it's a long time to wait.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2031 posts
280 upvotes
I think I got this last year. Gets pretty hot to the touch and barely charges my Ni-MH batteries. Great paperweight for 79c.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2010
1319 posts
76 upvotes
Mississauga
tdracer wrote: not unless it was wired incorrectly. Usually you get a couple chances before it causes permanent damage, but not always. Try it without batteries first and if nothing bad happens, yer good to go. While I agree it probably is cheap and cheaply made, the comparison should be to a $5 charger, not the $40 that retails stores charge, so it's probably not that bad.

it's cheap. I would guess that it would take about 9 hours to charge 2 2200mah if fully dead. I do agree, it's a long time to wait.
Thanks for this - appreciated :)

PiusPatronus wrote: I think I got this last year. Gets pretty hot to the touch and barely charges my Ni-MH batteries. Great paperweight for 79c.
Many thanks - U just saved me 79c LOL
It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt (Mark Twain) Assumption is the mother of all "foul-ups" (Under Siege 2: Dark Territory 1995) None of us knows anything, not even whether we know anything or not (Metrodorus of Chios, 4th century BC)
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I would say if any USB product produces enough of a short to fry the polyswitch inside your computer, the port wil be dead. The internal switch will save your mobo though.

USB spec 'should' have short-circuit protection and current limits on them but who knows until you open and/or test it.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2010
1319 posts
76 upvotes
Mississauga
AncasterRFD wrote: USB spec 'should' have short-circuit protection and current limits on them but who knows until you open and/or test it.
Very wise words - thanks

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)