Shopping Discussion

Method of Parking: Drive around or Sit still?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 22nd, 2015 9:44 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17786 posts
1816 upvotes
Woodbridge

Method of Parking: Drive around or Sit still?

It's crazy and very difficult finding a parking spot especially at malls like Sqaure One, Yorkdale.

How do you deal with it, do you drive around until you get lucky or sit still for 5-10 minutes and hope that you get one.

I tend to pick an area and wait it out. It's easier and less chance of getting into an argument which can lead to being keyed, slashed, etc.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
18 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3907 posts
1019 upvotes
Toronto
I park in my driveway and shop online
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16201 posts
6361 upvotes
I would never "sit still" in the parking lot and block the lanes. In my opinion, it's rude and inconsiderate to all other drivers. I always try to park on the outskirts of the parking lot, and if that's all taken, I would park in a public lot (and even if I had to pay) before I would create a hazard by idling my car in a driving lane waiting.

I am always remembered of when I was in Miami in a parkade next to the harbour and you would have people sit and wait for minutes for a parking spot to open up when the entire upper two levels were empty. Traffic just snarled all the way down the parkade and it was such a horrible experience for those of us who were willing to just drive to the top.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4301 upvotes
I make my passengers go stand in the spot to reserve it for me
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1571 upvotes
If I do venture, I park as far away as possible. In a remote corner that's empty. But 100% guarantee when I come back, there will be someone parked next to me, even of the lot is empty
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
1593 posts
1164 upvotes
Montreal
Follow someone who is leaving the mall
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3907 posts
1019 upvotes
Toronto
SquadG wrote: Follow someone who is leaving the mall
Lol I love messing with people who do this.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
1593 posts
1164 upvotes
Montreal
hitman_24 wrote: Lol I love messing with people who do this.
I have my technique, I'm invisible! You wouldn't even see me! :cool:
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3807 posts
752 upvotes
Vancouver
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: I make my passengers go stand in the spot to reserve it for me
Ive seen fights break out because of this lol
Nov 10, 2015
58 posts
11 upvotes
Unionville, ON
Drop off passengers at the door then drive around
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2011
3049 posts
630 upvotes
Sit still and wait for someone to leave.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3907 posts
1019 upvotes
Toronto
SquadG wrote: I have my technique, I'm invisible! You wouldn't even see me! :cool:
lol sure, whatever you say
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2024 upvotes
Nowhere
I hate those people who sit there blocking traffic and cars from exiting their parking spots. There could be a whole parking lot empty and they still sit idling and blocking spots rather than pull out of the way into a spot. Or what is even worse are the ones who sit in or block the handicap spots. Apparently they think it is ok because they are in their car. Usually they aren't attentive and don't move when you need them to.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
16581 posts
3684 upvotes
Toronto
Sit still means you pull over in a lane / area that has space for you pull over and allow others to pass (while you wait). I think this is pretty common in shopping malls, especially around this time.
I wait, personally. Usually when I drive around and find a spot, I find someone else already waiting.

OR I park in the back and walk. It's really not that bad, you're going to be walking inside anyways so what's another little bit?
RedFlagDeals addict